Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I don't know about that. Liverpool is famous for girls going for entire Satrurday shopping trips in town with their hair set in huge curlers for their night out. It's not classy I'm afraid as the look is accompaied by Uggs, an orange tan and foot long fake eyelashes.

Whatever makes you feel good I say! :)

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
UGGs?! :faint:

I prefer being called "ghost face" than put up with those things.
(Question: why do Modern Girls wear boots in the summer?)
Noooo clue! Unless...they were surfing (the original intention of UGGs, I believe, was to keep surfers feet warm post surf) and suffering from pneumonia.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
My partner and I were sat in McDonalds today (shame on us). Me in a t-shirt with a 50s-esque skirt, my hair set and lipstick and her in her work uniform (t-shirt, jeans etc) with her hair in a pompadour as usual. A man was sat across from us and as we went to leave he said, "Excuse me, is this your usual look?" We were confused with what and who he meant. Turned out he meant both of us. He then gave us a big thumbs up. Awesome compliment, especially to L, who seems to manage the retro-appeal even while in work gear!

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I really want to wander about looking more vintage even just hair and make up to start. I really hate attention though! Need to work on my skills and courage.

I was chattering away to a lady at the table top sale yesterday and she suddenly stopped talking, laughed and said "I forgot that I wasn't talking to someone my age for a moment then," which I thought was pretty funny. We were discussing gloves and embroidered handkerchiefs! She must have been around 80.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Don't know about in Australia, but in New Zealand where I'm from, they were just slippers! Now I can understand wearing them as slippers because Winter in NZ can be COLD and we don't do central heating much, but I can't understand people wearing them out of the house! It's like wearing your pyjamas out - but then I hear people do that these days too.

Noooo clue! Unless...they were surfing (the original intention of UGGs, I believe, was to keep surfers feet warm post surf) and suffering from pneumonia.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
On Saturday i got two compliments in one day. In a shop in Jersey a woman said to me "you have the pinup look" (which I'm guessing is a compliment since she took the time out to inform me...lol). Funny, I was wearing a workout tennis skirt, a roller derby t-shirt, and TOE SHOES. And I still came off as "pinup" HAHA.

Then later in the day I was walking to my favourite bar, The Blue Comet, when I woman stopped me and asked if that was where I was going. She told me I looked cute and that people who dress like me "have creativity." At this point, I did have on a nice 40s skirt and blouse that I made and proper shoes!

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
I can verify that Ugg boots in Australia are purely for wearing inside the house when its cold. As Miss Sis said they're basically slippers. Up until recently unless you were just going outside to the get the paper, to the local shop for milk or were too hungover to care it wasn't really the done thing to wear them outside of the house. However, nowadays you can apparently wear them to anything you like and i've even seen high heeled versions being worn by real life people on a real life street - with jeggings no less.

dearmrrabbit

New in Town
However, nowadays you can apparently wear them to anything you like and i've even seen high heeled versions being worn by real life people on a real life street - with jeggings no less

*shudder*

I work in the Melbourne CBD and I see this constantly. I used to work for a large fashion retailer in Bourke St Mall and my golly, the amount of ladies I saw out for a day of shopping with their hair done up all lovely (well.. you know), wearing sparkly, tiny skirts.. and ugg boots. Usually with thigh-high socks for some bizarre reason.

Don't get me wrong, I love my uggs.. But for inside use ONLY!

Anyway, this morning I was waiting for my coffee and and an older gentleman turned to me and said "well, isn't that an outfit! You look like one of those frenchie sailor girls!"
I'm wearing my VOH swing pants, a striped naxy-and-white cardi, leopard beret and red lipstick.

I only wish I had replied with a "Merci!" :eek:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyway, this morning I was waiting for my coffee and and an older gentleman turned to me and said "well, isn't that an outfit! You look like one of those frenchie sailor girls!"
Now, that's nice. :nod:

This morning, on my way to work I got a:

parlez-vous-francais-dark-on-heavyweight-shirt_design.png

..I guess we can file that under a "compliment", right? :D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
On Saturday a friend and I were out in the market town of Winchester, me in 1930s and him in linens and as we strolled down the street, a passer by said 'I just have to say, you two look so smart!'. We also had a nice chat with a lady who has opened a new vintage clothes shop. :)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have just got back from a couple of weeks in Tunisia and one of the nights in the hotel I went down to dinner with my hair in victory rolls with modern clothes on, but with a vintage vibe and the head waiter rushed over and kissed my hand! His French was better than his English but he kept saying 'Beautiful, beautiful!' How nice - I think I made a change from the other ladies in the room in their shorts and beach wear!
After that, every time he saw me he mimed the hair roll and pointed at my head but as it was over 40 degrees I couldn't be fussed doing it every night!

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
I had a lady one day come up to me and say she was so embarrassed to say it but she liked my hips!! I had on a wool pencil skirt and sweater set. She said women don't dress like that anymore but they looked better when they did, to which I wholeheartedly agreed
I didn't but I wanted to ask her, " why don't you dress this way?"-If you think something looks good, why not? Maybe a pencil skirt wasn't her best look but then how many skirt styles are there?

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
I really want to wander about looking more vintage even just hair and make up to start. I really hate attention though! Need to work on my skills

I only know that I feel 'right' when I am dressed more 'vintage' than not, that my confidence is good even though there isn't a soul in town that I've run into who dresses like me. Now I am an introvert by nature and I prefer not to 'announce' I've arrived but I need to dress comfortably, modestly and for me, 'vintage-ly'! I'm not comfortable walking out the door otherwise: I've tried it and its not me.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, "Be yourself-everyone else is taken".

VintageBee

One of the Regulars

I prefer being called "ghost face" than put up with those things.
(Question: why do Modern Girls wear boots in the summer?)

My oldest and is wife bought me a pair of UGGS a few Christmas' ago.
My husband and I looked at each other and silently said, "ugh".
They are great slippers in winter-I never leave home with them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko