Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by ITG, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Stray Cat

Stray Cat My Mail is Forwarded Here

Now, that's nice. :nod:

This morning, on my way to work I got a:

[​IMG]

..I guess we can file that under a "compliment", right? :D

2. Miss Sis

Miss Sis One Too Many

On Saturday a friend and I were out in the market town of Winchester, me in 1930s and him in linens and as we strolled down the street, a passer by said 'I just have to say, you two look so smart!'. We also had a nice chat with a lady who has opened a new vintage clothes shop. :)

[​IMG]

3. Stray Cat

I agree with the comment. :thumb:
    What a mesmerizing outfit! Stunning! :nod:

4. W-D Forties

W-D Forties Practically Family

I have just got back from a couple of weeks in Tunisia and one of the nights in the hotel I went down to dinner with my hair in victory rolls with modern clothes on, but with a vintage vibe and the head waiter rushed over and kissed my hand! His French was better than his English but he kept saying 'Beautiful, beautiful!' How nice - I think I made a change from the other ladies in the room in their shorts and beach wear!
    After that, every time he saw me he mimed the hair roll and pointed at my head but as it was over 40 degrees I couldn't be fussed doing it every night!

5. VintageBee

VintageBee One of the Regulars

I had a lady one day come up to me and say she was so embarrassed to say it but she liked my hips!! I had on a wool pencil skirt and sweater set. She said women don't dress like that anymore but they looked better when they did, to which I wholeheartedly agreed
    I didn't but I wanted to ask her, " why don't you dress this way?"-If you think something looks good, why not? Maybe a pencil skirt wasn't her best look but then how many skirt styles are there?

6. VintageBee

I only know that I feel 'right' when I am dressed more 'vintage' than not, that my confidence is good even though there isn't a soul in town that I've run into who dresses like me. Now I am an introvert by nature and I prefer not to 'announce' I've arrived but I need to dress comfortably, modestly and for me, 'vintage-ly'! I'm not comfortable walking out the door otherwise: I've tried it and its not me.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, "Be yourself-everyone else is taken".

7. VintageBee

8. Stray Cat

As I was walking home from work; I overheard a conversation between my colleague and a local shop-owner.
    Shop-owner: Who is that?
    My colleague told her I wokrk with her.
    Shop-owner: She looks like a porcelain doll.
    :D

9. runningbare

runningbare New in Town

I thing what you ladies are doing is great,wish more women would dress more vintage.It's also very sexy..

10. Stray Cat

Ladies..
    Is it a compliment:
    I was about to lift a heavy piece of hardware in the office, and a man came up to me, took care of it saying: "You should not do this, you're wearing a skirt" [huh]

11. Wire9Vintage

Wire9Vintage A-List Customer

I think it's a compliment in that he noticed you, probably because you stood out in looking nice. Probably meant to be chivalrous rather than an indication he thought you weak.

12. Stray Cat

I thought about it.. you could be right.
    And, the fact is that I couldn't bend in a pencil skirt. [huh]

13. Wire9Vintage

Ha! Well there is that, too!

14. Maudelynn

Maudelynn Familiar Face

I had to walk down the dreaded part of Hollywood Blvd to see a film the other day and all the guys who usually say things to girls that they ought not say were so polite to me. "M'am, you look so pretty!" "Excuse me, you are beautiful!" They actually moved their happy behinds and let me pass unmolested. A couple of people wanted to pay me for a picture, thinking I was supposed to be a Boardwalk Empire or Great Gatsby character. It was very sweet.
    I should caveat that I dress very 1920s everyday, shoes, hair, rolled stockings hat et all :)

15. TheSacredFemme

TheSacredFemme One of the Regulars

In a vintage shop today. "Look at you, the 40s really suit you!"
    Somehow it's even better when the person even knows what they're talking about.

16. JoesSweetheart

JoesSweetheart New in Town

"There's a certain beauty about you." -From a gal I was browsing earrings with at a local thrift shop. Needless to say, my day was made!

I rarely get compliments from men though, it's mostly 30+ year old women who compliment me. :)

17. Wire9Vintage

My boss told me the other day that I have a "collegiate style." I tend to wear skirts, tights, and cardigans. Classic with vintage overtones. Not sure when that became collegiate. Having taught college, I'm positive I haven't seen a college girl dressed in anything other than jeans, pajamas or yoga clothes ... Ever.

But I guess I'm glad I wasn't told I look "secretarial"... Not that there's anything wrong with that! But it would have been a problem hearing it from her, if you know what I mean.

18. Annixter

Annixter Practically Family

Same here in the San Francisco Bay Area. This is somewhat off topic, but I'm intrigued how styles change from locality to locality in the opposite way logic would suggest that they should. For example, here on the coast of CA, especially Southern CA, we have wonderful dress/skirt weather for at least 3/4 of the year and year-round if one wears thicker stocking/tights during the colder months, yet dresses/skirts are not the predominant fashion style in most regions of CA. The dress sections of department stores say a lot: most are tiny compared to a region that champions dresses. For example, I was amazed when I moved to Buffalo, NY, for graduate school. I walked into Macy's and other department stores there, and a good 1/2 of the ladies section was dresses alone. I've never seen such a thing in CA, not even at the gigantic lady's Macy's store in Union Square, S.F. In Buffalo, there are even dedicated dress stores in the larger shopping malls with vintage-inspired dresses/skirts. And sure enough, many of my female classmates and many of the women I saw around Buffalo wore dresses well into November/December until it started snowing. Then most of them reverted to jeans, but the dedicated ones still wore dresses in the dead of winter in Lake Effect blizzards. So what confuses me is how a region that sees heavy snow, wind, and bitter cold (in comparison to CA's coast) for approx. 4-5 months out of the year loves dresses while the coast of CA that doesn't experience anything like the anti-dress weather of Buffalo don't love dresses. Buffalo can see 1-2 months of temperatures in the 90s with higher humidity during the summer, but that doesn't explain why women continue wearing dresses into and through winter. I would think for an area as culturally rich as the S.F. Bay, I'd see more dresses/skirts, but maybe Buffalo hoards them all.[huh]:p

19. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Because the women of Buffalo have more class than the women of coastal Cal?

20. Annixter

Annixter Practically Family

I don't think your judgement is accurate or appropriate. I find stereotyping and judging coastal CA women, or any other group, offensive and unbecoming of gentlemen/women. It's a shame when vintage-centricity breeds arrogance and exclusivity.