Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Haven't been in this thread a while! I suppose I do look like Ms Weeks in the above shot, particularly, but not in others. I'm sure I'll hear it again soon!

Today when I popped down to the Post Office to collect a parcel, I decided to wear my new off white 1930s sleeveless linen sports frock with navy suede sandals and matching handbag, just *because*. A nice West Indian gentleman said "You look very sweet, my dear!" as I walked past. Made me smile. :)

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I wore rolls and a snood to the fair this weekend and I had a lady ask me if I was in the swing troupe that was performing that day. It made my day!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
A teenage boy riding a bike drove passed me and said nice dress. A lady said I like the net you have in your hair. I explained to the lady, it is called a snood women wore them in WWII. A different lady said the same thing and asked what the snood was used for. I explained women wore them when they worked in the factory to protect their hair. It was so much fun explaining vintage items to someone who does not wear everday vintage. And a great ice breaker to start a conversation.

SquirrelOnABike

New in Town
ok so I am very much a newbie on here, but this thread has made me chuckle so much, I get a lot of comments both positive and negative and I have taken to laughing off the negative ones. (most of which come from teenage boys). my favourite by far was on a placement (i am an Occupational Therapy student), i have always worn victory rolls to work and walking through the ward on my 2nd day I could hear 40s music come from a side room. I went in to see the patient who instantly broke in to a smile and got terribly excited and insisted he dance with me across the room, and then said "Its like a breath of fresh air, you remind me of my late wife, and I must say you have a mighty fine fringe young girl!" I was forever known on that ward for the rest of my placement as "the girl with the mighty fine fringe" :)

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I was wearing a 1970's-1980's wrap dress that looked 1940's and paired it with my big flopy straw hat. I recently got fring (bangs). An older lady I know came up to me and touched me on the arm when I was about to leave. Said I should be in a fashion magazine.

Drappa

One Too Many
I've just started a very demanding course and since I have to look professional have toned down my look and not worn red lipstick. A few people on the course have told me they love my style and that it suits me very well, one has said I look vintage, another commented on how unique I dress, others asked where I buy my clothes and one person told me I look very 1950s and asked if it was deliberate. It makes me very happy, especially since I thought my toned down look was really boring and that it wasn't very vintage at all.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
For work I don't dress vintage (it'd get ruined) but I do do my hair in a large roll at the front. It's two tone, dark blonde and the pomp is white, quite practical for the workshop. I've just started at a new school and it seems that my hair is developing a cult status - aparantly it is 'well sick'!

I find myself in the middle of explaining the days learning objectives when a random hand will go up. Assuming it's a relevant question about todays lesson I ask the person what the question is, and it's always 'How do you do your hair like that Miss?' The strange thing is, the boys are as fascinated as the girls. Last week one told me I should 'Dye it blue and put a little surfer on it' !

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
That is so adoreable, W-D Forties. Its so wonderful you are able to wear vintage at work. I too am very happy they allow everyone where I work to wear there own personal style, too. The rule here is as long as the clothing worn in not beach attire.

I have often wondered about wearing vintage with young ones about. I myself do not have any children (proud auntie). I was thinking about wearing a pinny (wap style vintage apron) over my vintage attire when the children are about. Usually when I go to visit my neice and nephew I try not to wear vintage clothing. Some times I can not resist risking wearing vintage. So far no damage to speak of (fingers crossed).

I own a pinny and it is my most favorite apron. Plus the pinny it is long almost like I am wearing a long sleeveless summer dress. Comming home after work, when I cook and sit down to dinner I wear my cozy pinny sometimes. For me it protects my vintage attire.

Last edited:

Lenore

Practically Family
Last Monday when I picked up my daughter from her day care, a little boy in her class told me I was beautiful with my red lips. The next day, I showed up with nude lips and he asked me "where are your beautiful lips? I like those." I wore red lipstick the rest of the week. ;)

Jannie

New in Town
Random person at the grocery store: "Whoa, you look like you're stuck in the past."

Me: "No, I'm trapped in the future. Wish I knew how to get home."

This is sooo sharp & sooo funny :D
And it probably nailed the person to the moment, where (s)he still stands struck with awe.

itsalovelyday

New in Town
I usually get very kind remarks - especially about my hair - and people will compare me to whatever brunette movie star they can think of, my favorite always being Bette Davis of course. As a college student I get a ton of stares, but I've gotten used to it!
A month or two ago, I was browsing at a department store, in pin curls, light makeup, a pencil skirt and blouse, nothing too fancy. I randomly caught the eye of a woman (in her mid-40s dressed in sweat pants and a tee shirt) so naturally I gave her a little smile. She screws up her face in horror and says, "WOW, you sure spend a lot of time on your appearance!!" I was flabbergasted and simply replied "What of it?!"

MissMittens

One Too Many
Wondering what comments F. Scott Fitzgerald got when wearing this out..................

o-F-SCOTT-FITZGERALD-DRAG-facebook.jpg

Personally, I think he didn't do a bad job at all in the pic on the right :p

K.McG

New in Town
On Christmas Eve, my I went with my family to my Uncles house for the customary Christmas eve festivities. I was wearing a very 40's inspired outfit complete with victory rolls. I went to go sit down on the couch next to a chair in which another of my uncles happened to be sleeping. A bit after I sit he wakes up, looks over at me and says, ' I fell asleep and woke up in 1940!'

That was one of the first rather notable responses to the way I dress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto