Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lorena B

Practically Family
SuperKawaiiMama said:
I dress with a vintage edge most days, and even if it isn't vintage it is always polished. ( I post lots of pictures of my outfits on my blog). However, living in the suburbs and having two children in tow puts quite a different spin on it. Most other mothers just stare at me from the corner of their eye, never approaching or even willing to have a conversation. I've been told my look is intimidating by a very honest friend. Even at the children's birthday parties, no one ever seems to want to start a conversation with me. It's a good thing I am a very outgoing Leo who could talk to a lamppost in an emergency! So from my peers, never a compliment.

But I am often stopped in stores or at the petrol station and asked which fancy restaurant I must be headed to for dinner. When I tell them I am only on my way to pick up my daughter from kinder, they are either impressed or think I am a little mad.
When it comes to heading out in the city though, I am constantly stopped and complimented. I've been asked for my autograph several times (?) and photographed for lots of newspapers and magazines (very flattering).
But by far the best compliment I ever received was at the opening of the Art Deco event at our National Gallery. I was wandering around when a very elderly gentleman started walking over to me. I though he was ill or having a heart attack as he looked very confused and almost in pain. When he reached me, he smiled and said with tears spilling over, " I saw you and my heart stood still. I thought I was suddenly 21 again and meeting my wife for the first time." He shook my hand and introduced himself as the benefactor of the exhibition, apologised for his tears, and left smiling. Wow...

Wow, what a nice story, it almost made me cry, how sweet!!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Usually the intentions are actually well meant in a misdirected sort of way or they haven't thought their comment through. If they're embarrassed to be seen with you then you have to consider if you really want them as friends or if you have to be see with them, in which case the problem is theirs.

The good thing is that life doesn't get easier, it gets worse and you develop thick skin from experience.:) I agree with those who advice you to respond like a lady, and I'd say that means actually not responding in words but it's more a dignified way of carrying yourself; smile, maybe even nod, and just let it hang there...irritates people endlessly.lol The good thing about insisting on being true to yourself is that you weed out the people who aren't really on your side, at a very early stage.

Try not to be snobbish though. I know one can unintentionally come across that way if one feels hurt but it's hypocritical if it's intentional. So Paisley's quote from MissManners is probably the best response I've seen so far: " Miss Manners responded to a similar question awhile back. Her suggested response: "I dress as I feel is appropriate, and I'm sure you do, too."

The lady like approach is the one I recommend for anyone else but myself. Because I'm such a multi-facetted mash of many things I provoke intense negative emotions from one fraction or another at any time so I've had to learn not to care and to try to laugh at it if people can bother to get wound up over me.:)

So please try to enjoy your dance. Smile at, put an a hand on the arm of and laugh at anyone who doesn't understand your style and give them that short response by MissManners. You need not explain or defend anything.

Don't ever apologize for a long thread or post! I refuse to abbreviate my thoughts for the benefit of quick and easy reading. People who submerge themself in a bygone era should are hopefully also capable of more in dept reading and patience than most modern people are today. :eek:fftopic:

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
SuperKawaiiMama
That story made me cry....such a wonderful feeling to make someone smile :)

This weekend The Sweetpea and I went to the LA fair and we were shopping around the booths.. and I found this beautiful Sun hat.. (I have been on the hunt for one for quite some time) So I was standing there for about 15 min debating which color to get and I could tell that the lady at the booth was giggling at me.. I didnt mind because I could only imagine how silly I must have looked holding 4 hats and being the indecisive woman I am :)

So when I FINALLY made my choice (on the white hat cause it goes with everything) I went to pay her and she said " I love your look, you pull it off so well.. it looks like you just stepped back in time!" She had made another comment about how not everyone can pull the look off. I thought it was very sweet of her and she asked me all kinds of question about my hair .. so lets just say I spend half an hour with her showing her hot to do her hair (simply). It was the icing on the cake that nite... besides the frozen bananna and cotten candy I had.. lol
I sure felt that in the morning :) :) but it was well worth it!

epr25

Practically Family
That's great. I am committing this to memory for future use!

Slim Portly said:
You can always turn it back on them, all the while making it sound self-depreciatory. See what single item they are wearing that is the poorest choice or the most clichéd, and say:

"I've found that I just can't make a pair of large sweat pants (or flip-flops, or Be-Dazzled denim jacket) look as good as you do. You're so lucky."

MarieAnne

Practically Family
It breaks my heart that there should be a thread about this. In a day and age where people can hardly be bothered to style their hair, let alone put some thought into their outfits...You'd think they would appreciate seeing someone nicely put together.

jessicarabbit

New in Town
my boyfriend always teases me about styling myself 'retro'. er, it's not retro, it's vintage - geddit?

I did my makeup 1930s style the other night and added a beauty mark between near my nose and eye. his response? "what's that black dot on your face?" [huh]

but last weekend when I was wearing my black pencil skirt, black and white polka dot blouse, cream and black peep-toes, pearls and had my hair wet set, and 40s makeup, a girlfriend who knows the vintage look and is pattern maker told me I looked like dita von teese. I was so flattered!

do any of the sydney girls know if stop staring is stocked anywhere in sydney besides route 66?

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
I feel that way when I see the kids around who are doing the 50s rebel look. Especially the gals, so often get mistaken for Rockabilly, which they prolly are, but are vastly more period correct in their capris, and satin jackets and late 50s make up. They look great!

I honestly choke up and dont know what to say to people either. I wanna go "Lets go antiquing together! Here's my number!" But no, I keep that to myself :eek:

Braking that ice to pay a compliment usually dosent resonate with the person until some minutes later, when they have had time to soak it in. If all I get is a 'thanks', when I pay them a compliment, thats fine with me . I know many are caught off guard. Im betting they are smiling later to themselves later on their way home.

LD

I wish people would talk to me like that more often. What I wouldn't give for an invitation to go antiquing with a well dressed lady. More often than not I just get an open mouthed, 'guppy' look as people pass. I do however, go out of my way to compliment well dressed people whenever possibly and have met some of the most delightful characters that way. Particularly elderly people as it seems that they spend so much of their time being invisible to the world at large.

LelaViavonie & Lorena B: Thank you. It is certainly one for the scrap book.

Lillemor

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
It breaks my heart that there should be a thread about this. In a day and age where people can hardly be bothered to style their hair, let alone put some thought into their outfits...You'd think they would appreciate seeing someone nicely put together.

It's an unconscious justification to themselves. Wow! I didn't think I could put it that short! I've just deleted the 7 paragraphs I wrote in where I examined the reasons for this in dept.

Edited - back from coffee break and not as grumpy as when I first posted.:)

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Let them eat cake!

The above poster is so right....only today did I see a girl who didnt look like she'd brushed her hair for a month, wearing a tshirt and jeans, except the tshirt was several inches too short and must have been a bit cold.

Oh, and dont let me forget the boys who like to wear their jeans half way down their bottom so their boxers show!

Tell whoever to get a life and you will dress any way you darn well please!

I get told I was born in the wrong decade a lot. My answer "Yes, I was!"

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
SuperKawaiiMama said:
I wish people would talk to me like that more often. What I wouldn't give for an invitation to go antiquing with a well dressed lady. More often than not I just get an open mouthed, 'guppy' look as people pass. I do however, go out of my way to compliment well dressed people whenever possibly and have met some of the most delightful characters that way. Particularly elderly people as it seems that they spend so much of their time being invisible to the world at large.

LelaViavonie & Lorena B: Thank you. It is certainly one for the scrap book.

I completly understand what your sayin SuperKawaiiMama....
More often I find when I go to the store or jut out and about people are mostly staring and like you said.. have this guppy look on thier face.

I honestly dont have a shopping buddy or like Lady Day mentioned.. someone to go Antiquing with and it sometimes can be quite lonley... **sigh**
I think over the years I have just come used to being alone most of them time when shopping or other things like that. Its just the way the cookie crumbles.. lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lela,

Dont fret. Im near downtown LA, you appear to be in Orange County? There are TONS of Lounge ladies here and we LUV to shop :D

Im sure an event will unfold soon, and if not, Id love to be your shopping buddy :)

LD

Lorena B

Practically Family
with a very long sight, i wish there were lots of lounge ladies in Netherlands too to be able to go shopping, meet up and talk about our commun interests.
:eek:fftopic: Thats an idea, is there any dutch lady who wouldnt mind meeting up for some serious fun!!???

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Lela,

Dont fret. Im near downtown LA, you appear to be in Orange County? There are TONS of Lounge ladies here and we LUV to shop :D

Im sure an event will unfold soon, and if not, Id love to be your shopping buddy :)

LD

Lady Day, you are super sweet :)

I happen to drive to LA every weekend.. I grew up in Wilmington off the 405 :) I visit family every weekend and im used to the haul to LA... Count me in.. I sure could use a great Shoppin Partner like yourself.. I bet we could sturr up some sugar!! lol

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Lela,

LD
Lady Day and Lela, I know this is rather :eek:fftopic: but I'll be in LA on the 12th October (from Australia) just overnight, so if your work commitments allow, perhaps we could have a little international lounger get together? Just message or email me if you're interested. :)

64tonya

One of the Regulars
jessicarabbit said:
my boyfriend always teases me about styling myself 'retro'. er, it's not retro, it's vintage - geddit?

I did my makeup 1930s style the other night and added a beauty mark between near my nose and eye. his response? "what's that black dot on your face?" [huh]

but last weekend when I was wearing my black pencil skirt, black and white polka dot blouse, cream and black peep-toes, pearls and had my hair wet set, and 40s makeup, a girlfriend who knows the vintage look and is pattern maker told me I looked like dita von teese. I was so flattered!

do any of the sydney girls know if stop staring is stocked anywhere in sydney besides route 66?

My boyfriend is used to my wild outfits, but last week we were going to a party and I put on a very conservative high-waisted gab skirt and button-down shirt with some spectators you know, professional but styling, and he says, "oh, you look nice but...umm...your skirt looks like its too high or something." I just smiled, I figured if he didn't get it then other people wouldn't either, so I changed. HeeHeeHee

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
64tonya said:
My boyfriend is used to my wild outfits, but last week we were going to a party and I put on a very conservative high-waisted gab skirt and button-down shirt with some spectators you know, professional but styling, and he says, "oh, you look nice but...umm...your skirt looks like its too high or something." I just smiled, I figured if he didn't get it then other people wouldn't either, so I changed. HeeHeeHee

lol... I used to hear that all the time.. now he is so used to my wardrobe.. he will look at me and say.. ahhh.. the school teacher today huh?? MEN:p :p

Lorena B

Practically Family
Ha,ha, thats so funny.

I dress vintage/retro every day and so does my boyfriend.
I have to say that in my case i am quite lucky as he always give me a fair cumpliment (when i look good) and an honest opinion when something does not look good on me.
He also calls me "teacher" when i get my pencil skirt suits and my cat eye glasses.

:eek:fftopic: Hummm! it does make you think as if teachers were very femenine or sexy dressed people!! I dont know there but here in England and Spain is not the case.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lorena B said:
Ha,ha, thats so funny.

I dress vintage/retro every day and so does my boyfriend.
I have to say that in my case i am quite lucky as he always give me a fair cumpliment (when i look good) and an honest opinion when something does not look good on me.
He also calls me "teacher" when i get my pencil skirt suits and my cat eye glasses.

:eek:fftopic: Hummm! it does make you think as if teachers were very femenine or sexy dressed people!! I dont know there but here in England and Spain is not the case.

Umm.. here.. well.. some teachers yes.. the young ones :) From what i can remember lol

Hehehe.. thats too funny! I love it when they can be honest...
THe other day i put something on in the dark cause I didnt want to wake him and he woke up anyway cause I fell over the stool... and he turned on the light and said " Sweetheart... that doesnt go.. why dont u wear a solid color shirt..." and went back to sleep.. LOL I laughed and went to change.... ;) lol

Lorena B

Practically Family
LelaViavonie said:
Umm.. here.. well.. some teachers yes.. the young ones :) From what i can remember lol

Hehehe.. thats too funny! I love it when they can be honest...
THe other day i put something on in the dark cause I didnt want to wake him and he woke up anyway cause I fell over the stool... and he turned on the light and said " Sweetheart... that doesnt go.. why dont u wear a solid color shirt..." and went back to sleep.. LOL I laughed and went to change.... ;) lol

Ha,ha,ha, oh dear, i know exactly about getting dressed in the dark!!

i remember once i didnt want to wake up my old boyfriend and i dressed in the dark.

I cant explain the face i put later on during the day when i decided to take a little break from work to go to the ladies and discover i had put my underwear with the leg hole around my waist and the waist going as my leg holelol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner