Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
BeBopBaby said:
People usually just say that I have a very classic look and they compliment me for it. I don't remember any negative comments. My husband says that the reason no one says anything negative is because I give off a very strong mess with me and I'll tear your head off vibe. lol Meanwhile, I've never been in a fist fight with a person, avoid negative contact with people and have a generally mellow personality. I think people tend to mistake my introverted stand-offishness for meaness. (It also doesn't hurt that I come from a long line of big, stubborn, strong women either.)

BBB, I can absolutely understand that especially the part about the "don't mess with me" vibe. My partner says that when my face is at rest, I look like I will take someone out if they were to talk to me. :eek: I'm not thinking that...well at least not all the time!! lol I also have never been in a fist fight but somehow people figure I'd win anyway. Guess not many people know what to do with the quiet ones!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The ultimate FL compliment yesterday was :

"You look like your came straight from the 1950s " which was true but a bit latent as I was born in 1953! Must have been the Shurons my wife hates....

PS

A-List Customer
cookie said:
The ultimate FL compliment yesterday was :

"You look like your came straight from the 1950s " which was true but a bit latent as I was born in 1953! Must have been the Shurons my wife hates....

I like the straightforward compliments!

I wore a more vintage look to my acting class. I heard everything from, Marilyn Monroe to Rosie the Riveter and Madonna. I was just wearing a cardigan and cuffed jeans, with a pony tail. It was nice nonetheless that it was well received and everyone thought it suited me. Of course it garnered me more attention from the teacher, which I'll admit I loved. Would a petticoat next week be overboard?:whistling

Leila de la May

New in Town
I tend to dress quite 1940s and I find it funny that when people mention things about my look they often get mixed up and say I look very fifties, The difference of styles has always been so clear to me and I thought people could tell one from the other, but I guess they just don't know enough about fashion to tell the diference. :eusa_doh: I know my dad doesn't. :p

64tonya

One of the Regulars
PS said:
I like the straightforward compliments!

I wore a more vintage look to my acting class. I heard everything from, Marilyn Monroe to Rosie the Riveter and Madonna. I was just wearing a cardigan and cuffed jeans, with a pony tail. It was nice nonetheless that it was well received and everyone thought it suited me. Of course it garnered me more attention from the teacher, which I'll admit I loved. Would a petticoat next week be overboard?:whistling
Unless the petticoat is not covered with a skirt (a la madonna 80's) then no, not overboard at all ;)

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Ugh, I never get compliments. Still waiting! I blame it on the extreme preppyness of the town.

Actually yesterday I was wearing a cropped green cardigan and vintage pencil skirt, nude hose, and heels. I took my daughter to the library and a group of teens (boys and girls) started laughing at me right to my face.
One boy said, "What is this desperate housewives?" And then after I passed he shouted, "You are not a MILF."

I was so distraught I didn't say anything back (and I had my daughter with me). But it's made me feel sort of... icky.:(

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
It sounds like my experiences have been very similar to a lot of others' here.

I get lots of questions like, "Oh, you look nice, where are you going?" Granted, this is Seattle, where many people go to the office dressed head-to-toe in R.E.I. gear, as though the minute they got off work they were off to scale Mt. Rainier. The majority of my clothes aren't vintage, and although my whole look is extremely vintage-inspired, a lot of it isn't accurate because I forgo "authentic" looks (especially hemlines) in favour of what is more flattering to me.

I just transferred to a new university this fall, and on campus I mostly just get stares, but a few students and professors have told me that they really like the way I dress.

Out and about the other day, a woman pulled me aside and said, "You look wonderful! I wish women would bother to get dressed these days." She was probably in her early thirties, so this wasn't reminiscing of a more stylish time, she was just being nice.

Later, when I went for a cup of coffee, a very shy man kept looking at me, and before he left, he finally came over and said, "You have wonderful style. You look really perfect." It was especially nice because I could tell he was coming out of his comfort zone to give me the compliment, and he clearly wasn't trying to pick me up, either.

Anyway, I would say the reaction is overall very positive (if slightly incredulous).

Molly O'Star

New in Town
When I lived in NYC, I never felt out of place, and all of the comments were positive ones (liking my dress, purse, etc). Except, of course, from the Bettier-than-thou types, who annoy me to no end.

When I moved to DC, it got a bit trickier. Generally, people would ask, "Why are you so dressed up?" Not meaning costumed, but meaning looking more formal than everyone else. (I LOVE wearing skirts and would much rather wear a skirt or dress out, even to a dive bar, than pants.) Otherwise, the comments were positive, along with a few, "Oh, I could never wear red lipstick - you're so brave"-type statements. Again, with the exception of Bettier-than-thous.

Now, here in Upstate NY, I'm truly the odd one out and find that while men are appreciative, women look askance and are not complimentary or nice. Because there isn't usually anyone else dressed like me, people assume that I'm doing it for attention or trying too hard. The thing is, over the last few years especially, I've really tried to whittle down my closet to keep it from taking over my house, and the pieces I've kept, without fail, are vintage and retro. I simply don't have a lot of choices when it comes to "normal" clothing.

PS. What's so terribly "different" about a pencil skirt and a cardigan? Please!

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
You know what's so disconcerting about this is that I've only started to dress vintage for the past 2 months. So I still feel all fragile about it (inane, I know, but I'm sensitive, I guess). And I was so used to getting the opposite response from teenage boys in particular (gross, but true) from catcalls to stares that this new response really made me wonder if I look newly hideous in vintage or something. And then part of me is mad at myself because why do I care? But then we all have our issues I suppose... :eusa_doh:

Molly O'Star

New in Town
I hear you, Marzipan. The less mainstream I look, the less outright interest I get, too. I think, though, this has more to do with the confidence of those viewing us then with the way we dress.

Have you ever been intimidated by someone because of the way they dress? I know that as a teenager at punk shows I was scared out of my mind by the kids with mohawks. As my punk-rock self progressed, I became that someone intimidating. The same can be said of my retro self. In the beginning, I was scared that those "in the scene" would think I was a poser or not authentic. Nevermind I was wearing clothes I liked that made me feel good and that The Gap gives me hives (Literally. A story for another day.) - I felt outside their group.

When someone sees you in retro clothing (particularly with your hair done, which is Intimidation Factor Numero Uno), I think they feel like you look down on their mainstream-ness. Many friends of mine have been reluctant to come to shows or events because they don't have the "right" clothes. These people who fail to compliment you are often screaming "I want to look like her!" inside, but they'd never let on.

As for teenage boys - I think they should all be quarantined. Do NOT take to heart what he said. He was trying to impress his friends. The teenage mentality is almost always to make fun of the "other," and when you dress retro, you are most certainly "other." The same way that goths, punks, and hippies get made fun of - those of us who like a vintage look are outside the mainstream. (Which is fine with me, because we look better than everyone else, anyway.)

And at the end - this look is not for everyone. I have male friends who tell me they think I look high maintenance (even though that's the exact opposite of reality), and that it's off-putting when someone looks so unusual in most crowds. They're sheep; what can I say?

And remember - there's no probation period when it comes to dressing a certain way. The moment you decide that's your look, it is. You're just as authentic as someone who's been coveting old Sears and Roebuck catalogs for a decade.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Marzipan, don't lose heart, just rise above it. I bet you looked amazing! I guess it must be so different for someone who went from being completely mainstream to retro, unlike us ex punks/goths/metallers who've had over a decade to get used to being 'different' and the reactions it causes. Being vintage is not for the fainthearted!

I got called Mary Poppins the other day...I love how kids would think that an insult, when it was only 5 years out of date for the outfit I was wearing!

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Aw, thanks, Molly.

It's so funny that you mention punk rock. As a kid I hated going to shows because I always felt not cool enough to be accepted. Even though my hair was green it just wasn't "right." Whatever that is.

And in H.S. I pretty much hated everyone and myself. It wasn't until college when people started thinking I was interesting/smart/funny/attractive. And because I got a lot of bullying as a kid I think the teen's remarks dug up all those old feelings and memories I thought I'd forgotten.

But you're right. Most people are sheep and don't deserve my time of day.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Fleur,

I'm not sure if amazing is the right word but my husband thought I looked nice!

I suppose the big transition for me is living in such a conservative community and being a mom. I really don't connect with anyone and am seriously considering moving to a city with a European flair... Montreal.

xoxo

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I think that some people can be intimidated when they see someone looking really soignee - some can't help themselves and have to say something horrid to make themselves feel better. Quite sad really.

I've only gotten into vintage clothes in the last year but have accumulated a lot of great stuff. For the first time a few weeks ago I wore my hair in a reverse roll (with a tea dress and platforms) and went to the pub. I got a lot of looks but no one said anything until later on and a woman in the ladie's toilet said "I love your hair - it reminds me of that movie....that comedy...." and then she trailed off.

She was half in the bag but I think she meant Leatherheads!

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Ah, I'm living totally in the 50's this year but when it's over I'd like to see Leatherheads though I have zero interest in sports. :rolleyes:

I suppose people can be intimidated but I think what bugs me is that they assume you're trying to get attention when really you just want to be yourself. I think if you live in a fairly cosmopolitan area this becomes easier...?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Marzipan said:
Ah, I'm living totally in the 50's this year but when it's over I'd like to see Leatherheads though I have zero interest in sports. :rolleyes:

I suppose people can be intimidated but I think what bugs me is that they assume you're trying to get attention when really you just want to be yourself. I think if you live in a fairly cosmopolitan area this becomes easier...?

Maybe if you lived in a more cosmo area you would get less grief. I saw what those little beasts had said to you in your other post - horrible. The fact that your daughter heard it was worse - I hope she's too young to comprehend what they said.

I suppose some outfits will attract more attention than others though - I have this fabulous silk dress from the 40's and I'm toying with the idea of wearing it this Christmas Eve - it's really glam (very Joan Crawford!) - chocolate brown silk, with gold banding around the neck and waist and large flute sleeves - again with the gold banding. I was hemming and hawing about wearing it as it's so over the top but I think I'll just grab the bull by the horns and wear it - never mind anyone staring or whatever! :p

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Yes, if I was alone it wouldn't have bothered me so much. But because I was holding a small child, I was just even more shocked. Thank goodness she didn't even notice.

My husband thinks I should have said something to the librarian as it was sexual harassment but I didn't see the point and didn't want my daughter's visit spoiled.

That dress sounds glorious! And since it's Xmas I'm sure no one will bat an eye!:p

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Marzipan said:
Yes, if I was alone it wouldn't have bothered me so much. But because I was holding a small child, I was just even more shocked. Thank goodness she didn't even notice.

My husband thinks I should have said something to the librarian as it was sexual harassment but I didn't see the point and didn't want my daughter's visit spoiled.

That dress sounds glorious! And since it's Xmas I'm sure no one will bat an eye!:p

That's such a shame that your outing was spoilt - really it is.

You're so right about the dress- I'm forgetting it'll be Christmas - lots of sequins and the likes - I think I'll go for it!

I just popped onto your blog there - well done! :cool: I have to hand it to you - there's no way I could pass on all my favourite programmes for a year - no ANTM?!!!!!! And then not using all the mod cons?! Doesn't bear thinking about!

I read Anne Fogarty's Wife Dressing a few weeks ago and although some of it is a bit out of touch a lot of her tips were still quite relevant. I have one of her dresses - a lovely rayon navy blue sleeveless full skirt dress which I love -I'd love to get a few more piece by her - she was right on the money when it came to style!

A Guide to Elegance by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux is a great book - have you read it?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Leila de la May said:
I tend to dress quite 1940s and I find it funny that when people mention things about my look they often get mixed up and say I look very fifties, The difference of styles has always been so clear to me and I thought people could tell one from the other, but I guess they just don't know enough about fashion to tell the diference. :eusa_doh: I know my dad doesn't. :p

I agree, although for the uninitiated mixing up the 40s and the 50s isn't SO bad.

However, the other night in NYC I was wearing a 40s navy dress with navy seamed stockings and some girl and her adorable gay friend on the subway were like "You look SO cute! Very 60s!" I just thanked her. I mean, not even close. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic