Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Sunny

One Too Many
Lorena B said:
I cant explain the face i put later on during the day when i decided to take a little break from work to go to the ladies and discover i had put my underwear with the leg hole around my waist and the waist going as my leg holelol
lol lol lol lol lol :eusa_clap

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Lorena B said:
Ha,ha,ha, oh dear, i know exactly about getting dressed in the dark!!

i remember once i didnt want to wake up my old boyfriend and i dressed in the dark.

I cant explain the face i put later on during the day when i decided to take a little break from work to go to the ladies and discover i had put my underwear with the leg hole around my waist and the waist going as my leg holelol

:eek:fftopic: LOL! Mine usually end up inside out somehow when I'm in a rush [huh]

Lillemor

One Too Many
"Omg! Where did she fall off from?". "I haven't seen her in class, is she new?". Said by a teenage girl as I walked past my middle son's school. So if she thought I was a peer, that means dressing vintage or vintage inspired doesn't necessarily make you look older.:) But she probably still thought I dressed outside of the age range she perceived me to be.:rolleyes:

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Dressing in Vintage really IS like a time machine!

Lillemor said:
"Omg! Where did she fall off from?". "I haven't seen her in class, is she new?". Said by a teenage girl as I walked past my middle son's school. So if she thought I was a peer, that means dressing vintage or vintage inspired doesn't necessarily make you look older.:) But she probably still thought I dressed outside of the age range she perceived me to be.:rolleyes:
I get similar reactions. When I left my last job pregnant with baby two, some of the clients commented to the boss that I was far too young to have a baby. They were very shocked to find out it was baby number two. Turns out they just thought I was a very mature minded 19 year old!!! So I agree, dressing in vintage doesn't necessarily make you look older, it's all about the attitude.

Neany73

New in Town
I work in a sewing machine and yarn shop and most of our customers are "ladies of a certain age" so I get many many ladies reminiscing about how they used to wear many petticoats and big dresses etc etc. I quite like hearing it, but when many of them then look at my collegues, who are in their early 50's and say "remember?" I cringe because I know the answer. "no actually, I'm too young to remember that!" oops.

Leila de la May

New in Town
Neany73 said:
I work in a sewing machine and yarn shop and most of our customers are "ladies of a certain age" so I get many many ladies reminiscing about how they used to wear many petticoats and big dresses etc etc. I quite like hearing it, but when many of them then look at my collegues, who are in their early 50's and say "remember?" I cringe because I know the answer. "no actually, I'm too young to remember that!" oops.

Apoligies Everyone :eek:fftopic: Yay! another person from cambridge, and I know that shop, I think I've seen you there. I shall have to come say 'Hi' one day.

Leila de la May

New in Town
I get more funny looks about college than comments, but I do get some teachers saying "wow, you look very glam today!", I wouldn't class me as particularly glamorous but compared to everyone else I can see why they say it. and a girl in the charity shop this afternoon, looked at me and said "you really like vintage don't you" and I was like "Yes, I love it!:D "
not very exciting comments, but it's nice to be noticed.

P

Paul

This thread if I am right was started about 5 years ago I was wondering if any one has notice a change in attitudes towards you wearing vintage over that period as retro and vintage are a lot more in fashion today than previously ?

The Shirt

Practically Family
Paul - that's a good question. I've been dressing in vintage for about 13 years now. About 10 years ago I certainly felt like I stuck out more like a sore thumb. Now with the advent of Sex and the City or Anthropologie and the likes - it seems that there is a more general acceptance of incorporating vintage items into wardrobes. I still think I get more comments about when I am in full on 40s/50s style as opposed to having one or two items on though.

I think additionally that society has certainly gotten more casual in it's idea of what is acceptable attire for certain events or places. I would never think of wearing jeans to church but alas sweatpants are acceptable these days. So when one does make an effort to dress in a vintage style - the comments seem to be more that I am perhaps overdressed ("Why are you so dressed up?") rather than not accepting the style itself.

I did get told the other night that I was the subject of conversation of a few of the waiters at a place we were dining at. He gushed that I reminded him of Rita Haworth in Gilda and that everything is working for me. I suppose we did give him a generous tip since he made my night and I couldn't think of a nicer comparison even if greatly exaggerated!

decodoll

Practically Family
I know I posted way back at the beginning of this thread, but my circumstances have changed, so I figured I'd comment again.

The comments I get are similar to yours, Shirt. Always complementary, but they think I am dressed up for something really special. The difference between San Francisco and small town New England (I'm sure it would be different in Boston or Providence) is that in SF I'd get the comments if I went out for dinner in a cocktail dress, but where I am now people think I'm really dressed up if I go out in just about any vintage dress at all. I definitely dress a lot more casual vintage since moving. My vintage heels are getting lonely. :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yes, there's definitely a difference here in NE as far as what constitutes dressed-up -- you're much more likely to get comments when in heels than you would be in oxfords. But I think it also depends on the age of the local population -- where I live, the median age is about 50, and we've got a *lot* of retirees, for whom the sight of someone in a skirt or dress every day is not such a lost memory. A younger population is much more likely to think there's something odd about someone who doesn't wear the modern uniform.

These days, the only time I get comments is from tourists in the summer -- the locals all know me and are all used to me, except on those occasions when I'm seen scrubbing the front of the theatre while wearing overalls. *Then* they think there's something wrong.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
College Comments

Leila de la May said:
I get more funny looks about college than comments, but I do get some teachers saying "wow, you look very glam today!", I wouldn't class me as particularly glamorous but compared to everyone else I can see why they say it. and a girl in the charity shop this afternoon, looked at me and said "you really like vintage don't you" and I was like "Yes, I love it!:D "
not very exciting comments, but it's nice to be noticed.
Hey Leila, I'm a student as well. San Diego is about as casual as it gets and most students (97%) wear flip flops, jeans or (shudder) sweats and tank tops. I get a lot of looks from students and profs, but most admire me for doing my own thing. I always manage to inspire at least a few who start to dress up more and more over the semester. I've had a couple of classes where people actually anticipate my outfits or vintage glasses! I'll come in and their like, "ooh, what glasses is she wearing today? Oh we haven't seen those, cool! Wow, you have so many cute clothes where do you shop?" My profs like it too. Compared to most of the other students, I'm sure we are suitably "glam" ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Shirt said:
I did get told the other night that I was the subject of conversation of a few of the waiters at a place we were dining at. He gushed that I reminded him of Rita Haworth in Gilda and that everything is working for me. I suppose we did give him a generous tip since he made my night and I couldn't think of a nicer comparison even if greatly exaggerated!

Not so greatly exaggerated... it's the hair! You have very Gilda hair!

Anwen

New in Town
Neany73 said:

Ooh, I've been to that shop as well - I remember being extremely impressed when I complimented you on your dress and you said you'd made it from a duvet cover :D Not in Cambridge myself, sadly, and my friends who lived nearby are now moving to Ireland, so I have no excuse to go there any more, but I really like the city :)

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Ive been experimenting with bouffants and flips the last two weeks and making an effort in how I look. I have had so many compliments, I almost dont believe anyone!

Mojito

One Too Many
Sydney Loren said:
I've had a person ask me if my hair was fake, but usually it's along the lines of "What are you dressed up for? Where are you going?"
I've had that one as well, Sydney Loren - I was dancing at an Art Deco event when a young girl worked her way over, smiled apologetically and asked if my dutch doll bob was a wig. She seemed genuinely fascinated.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Ha,ha,ha, today something happened that got me in stitches.

I was on my way to the shops when this older man passed by on a bicycle, and even after he was way away from me he carried on looking back to me like .... incredulous, i just smiled and it was when he must have realized he was being too obvious and stop looking.

This is funny because back in London people is more use to see different sort of people wearing sometimes pretty crazy stuff on but here in The Hague.... i think they might not be too used to vintage:)

To your question Paul, as i said, back in London Vintage is a very normal thing to see and to buy, in fact, few years back wearing vintage was sooooo cheap, now the prices have gone up and i believe that is because is a popular thing nowadays. Gosh, i still remember one day in Old street tube a guy behind me in the elevator was talking about my outfit and his mate answered him " oh yes, 40's are the new 80's" :eek: Well, no offense as i lived my childhood in that decade but.... there is nothing in my opinion in the whole 80's soo glamorous as the 40's and 50's had been.
But thinking twice he could have meant that the 40's are right now so in fashion as the are the 80's

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
People usually just say that I have a very classic look and they compliment me for it. I don't remember any negative comments. My husband says that the reason no one says anything negative is because I give off a very strong mess with me and I'll tear your head off vibe. lol Meanwhile, I've never been in a fist fight with a person, avoid negative contact with people and have a generally mellow personality. I think people tend to mistake my introverted stand-offishness for meaness. (It also doesn't hurt that I come from a long line of big, stubborn, strong women either.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner