Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Miss Scarlet said:
Then again I was a goth in high school and certainly wasn't unpopular and no one mocked me or commented (but again I went to a top grammar school).

I don't think that matters. I went to a comprehensive secondary school in Barking, a completely rank part of the country. I had pink hair and around 7 facial piercings and I never once had people act nastily toward me. I had a lot of questions yes and sometimes silly comments (like "does that go all the way through?".. seriously?) but I was never bullied or anything like that. Infact the only person who said anything was a teacher, who told me I was taking the p*** with so many piercings.. and yes in those words.

I actually would have thought if anything it may be worse in "a top grammar school" because people can be more snobby with a higher than thou attitude.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
For some reason no one was really like that. We knew we went to a good school, but none of us ever looked down on other schools as far as I can remember (except for the usual sporting rivalry). It wasn't like anyone was rich otherwise they would have gone to private school. We even had a fews serious chavs who happened to pass the entrance exam, but they either got pregnant or decided not to do A levels.

Does anyone have any idea what influences would cause comments to vary so much? I would have thought there'd be some sort of stable influencing factor, but maybe not.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
haha yeah i've done that before!
two yobs (haha) at my school seem to take great delight in telling me to go back to the 1930s/20s. I just tell them I will, even though the era is completely wrong and they start talking about WWII.

Well done you chav, because WWII was in the 20s wasn't it. :|

I don't know what a chav or a yob is but I think I get the general idea! lol

I went to a public high school and only got those two or so comments. Then again I'm tall and I walk confidently and I'm pretty sure everyone knew not to mess with me or just didn't really care. Plenty of people at my school really just didn't care. [huh] Some people feel it is appropriate to comment on another person's appearance to them. Which in my opinion is completely unacceptable unless the person has something noticeably wrong (a zipper down, a tag showing, toilet paper on their shoe, their skirt stuck in their undergarments...) that is obviously not part of the fashion statement. And then they should tell you quietly so you can correct it without being embarrassed.

Edward

Bartender
skyvue said:
He was an African-American gentleman. In my experience, black folks are most appreciative of a vintage look, though I get compliments from all types of people.

I find that too. Black folks, and hip hop kids. A lot of the most vocal and genuine compliments I get, at least from other men, are from young Asian kids who are obviously big on the hip hop scene. I presume that's down to that being a scene where a 'put together' look is appreciated (thinking of folks like Puff Diddy or whatever he calls himself now, the late Biggie Smalls, and others who knew how to put together a suit, often pairing it with a Homburg). Also, even the kids in their low slung jeans and sportswear on the hip hop scene are very much aware of their look. It might not be to my tastes, but they have certainly put as much effort into getting all their details correct as I do - I think that's the common element which they identify. I do sometimes find a compliment from kids dressed like that a humbling reminder to not judge so harshly looks that I don't quite 'get'. ;)

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Edward said:
I find that too. Black folks, and hip hop kids. A lot of the most vocal and genuine compliments I get, at least from other men, are from young Asian kids who are obviously big on the hip hop scene. I presume that's down to that being a scene where a 'put together' look is appreciated (thinking of folks like Puff Diddy or whatever he calls himself now, the late Biggie Smalls, and others who knew how to put together a suit, often pairing it with a Homburg). Also, even the kids in their low slung jeans and sportswear on the hip hop scene are very much aware of their look. It might not be to my tastes, but they have certainly put as much effort into getting all their details correct as I do - I think that's the common element which they identify. I do sometimes find a compliment from kids dressed like that a humbling reminder to not judge so harshly looks that I don't quite 'get'. ;)

^This is true. And on days when I prefer Docs and fishnets to pencil skirts and heels I appreciate that other people understand that I put in as much effort that day.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I was taking a sewing workshop, and in the store was a cute repro 1930s zippo advertisement poster. I commented to the owner how I really loved it. She then said ‘you look just like her; I knew you’d like it.’ Only, the woman in the ad was blonde and in 1930s fashion, and I was obviously dressed 1950s. *lol* The eras blur together for some. ;0 Still, a lovely compliment. ;0

X
BD

littleblackcar

New in Town
I don't think I've ever gotten a negative reaction.

I didn't dress this way in high school or college (I was in school during the Grunge Era. I didn't listen to grunge but I loved flannel--mine were my dad's vintage wool Pendletons--shirts and baggy jeans, so it was a good cover), and I'm relieved to find that people over 30 are far less judgmental about other people who dress unconventionally. Mostly, they're impressed that I made the dress myself.

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that most people would secretly like to dress more distinctively/creatively/flamboyantly/eccentrically but the majority of them don't quite have the nerve, and they are a little envious of those of us who do. Not toxic-envious, necessarily; just envious enough to admire our clothes.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
I was walking to work this morning and as I passed one of the neighbours house one of the builders there shouted over at me "WHAT is THAT?! and started laughing... Rather than feel insulted I smiled my biggest smile, which stopped him laughing btw, held my head high, and walked on. What bothers me is that I wasn't dressed particularly vintage, black pencil skirt, nude cardigan with black bow motif, I had a pale pink swing coat over it and my little 50's handbag, oh and my cats-eye sunnies.

I felt better today when, in work, a customer whom I was helping suddenly stated that she loved what I was wear and that I look so put together with my clothes and red lips! The day ended on a happy note lol

User25159

New in Town
Here in NYC you see everyone dressed as everything!

The comments i get are literally as follows "I LOVE your dress!" or "How did you get your hair like that?" or "Why are you dressed like that" (*there is a 50s themed restaurant here, as well as tv shows and movies that get filmed, so this mostly referred to if i was wearing a costume for some performance nature) or which i loathe and get very very often "OMG YOU LOOK LIKE KATY PERRY!!!" Ok she's got a super pretty face, but I am not a fan of the image she has. Sorry, I just think she looks trashy and I don't like how people see her in me! I don't think i'm *that* trashy haha!

*SeaStar*

New in Town
So like most dolls here I get the usual "I love your hair!!!" which boosts my self confidence on normal trips to the grocery store. I always get reactions from much older men when i wear flowers in my hair, stating how beautiful women look with them, or that i remind them of movies with Pedro Infante.

As for high school with mostly hispanic, I was always different and the only person dressed in vintage finds and crazy about swing dancing, I was considered weird but unique and awsome, I was even senior Class President!

Its funny 10 yrs later to see the little Bettie Page clones in high school running around professing them selves Rockabilly just because its now considered "cool":eusa_doh:

*Estrellita Marinera*

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
This wasn't a comment, but actions (or should i say reactions) speak louder than words. On the fourth i was dressed up pretty spiffy, had on a new vintage hat, a 40's navy blue fleck dress i rarely wear (but should all the time), pretty matching earrings, heals etc. We'd forgotten a few things so i went to the store with my mom, and as we were walking towards the doors some late 30 to early 40-something male leaving looked me up and down very obviously with a look as if i had accosted him and his grandmother and then shook his head as if to etch-a-sketch me from his vision. I get a lot of nice reactions, some unsolicited advice, and generally just people trying not to be noticed watching me, but i have never garnered a look of such abhorrence and indignation.[huh] I guess it really bothered me, or else i wouldn't be telling you all about it here :/

MissHannah

One Too Many
Miss Scarlet said:
I think half of it, perhaps, is the way you walk. If you walk and hold yourself confidently people don't comment because you don't come across as vulnerable. I've found this works with me anyway, but then again I do live in a lucky area.
I think it does depend largely on the area of the country in which you live as to how many negative/positive comments you'll get.

I live in Twickenham - an extremely well-to-do area of south west London and I certainly walk very confidently with my head held high and I very much doubt that anybody would consider that I appear vulnerable as a 5'9" 37 year old! But I still get unpleasant comments from time to time, even there. People can just be rude and there's nothing you can do to control their behaviour unfortunately. Let's be careful of passing on any responsibility to the recipient shall we?! However, I certainly get much more aggression aimed at me when I'm in my hometown in Devon - as YesterdayGirl said (Hi Jenni btw!) it's as if they are actually offended by me looking different and it makes them angry. I've learned to tone it down a bit when I'm there visiting these days, just to avoid the embarrassment of being yelled/laughed at on the High Street.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
I live in Twickenham - an extremely well-to-do area of south west London and I certainly walk very confidently with my head held high and I very much doubt that anybody would consider that I appear vulnerable as a 5'9" 37 year old! But I still get unpleasant comments from time to time, even there. People can just be rude and there's nothing you can do to control their behaviour unfortunately. Let's be careful of passing on any responsibility to the recipient shall we?! However, I certainly get much more aggression aimed at me when I'm in my hometown in Devon - as YesterdayGirl said (Hi Jenni btw!) it's as if they are actually offended by me looking different and it makes them angry. I've learned to tone it down a bit when I'm there visiting these days, just to avoid the embarrassment of being yelled/laughed at on the High Street.

I understand where you're coming from and I was just theorizing really because I fail to understand why anyone would be nasty to anyone for the sake of it, but that's just me being naive probably. I didn't mean to offend anyone by passing over responsibility to the recipient. It's not their fault at all. I was trying to explain really how the way you hold yourself can make you more vulnerable to such comments. Sorry if it came across as offensive.

With regards to how it seems to offend people. I never understand that. I had a friend who sent me a message on facebook simply saying "It's not the 1930s/40s whatever, it's now!" I couldn't understand how my interests had provoked this comment in him at all. I would never belate him because he liked football. Some people are strange.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Miss Scarlet said:
I understand where you're coming from and I was just theorizing really because I fail to understand why anyone would be nasty to anyone for the sake of it, but that's just me being naive probably. I didn't mean to offend anyone by passing over responsibility to the recipient. It's not their fault at all. I was trying to explain really how the way you hold yourself can make you more vulnerable to such comments. Sorry if it came across as offensive.

With regards to how it seems to offend people. I never understand that. I had a friend who sent me a message on facebook simply saying "It's not the 1930s/40s whatever, it's now!" I couldn't understand how my interests had provoked this comment in him at all. I would never belate him because he liked football. Some people are strange.

No offense taken - I was just concerned that some of the more impressionable ladies might have started to feel that it was something in them that was attracting comments.

I can't help feeling that the anger it provokes must be some kind of very base herd mentality - it's extremely difficult to empathise with isn't it?! I don't get angry about other people wearing sweatpants and football shirts - it's none of my business how they dress! SO bizarre.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think Miss Scarlet is right to some extent, I think if you're confident and also practiced at your look so it looks comfortable, natural and un-costumey, people are less likely to jeer. I think goths and girls who insist on going out looking like a burlesque star mid-act, they attract more negativity than just being in a pretty vintage dress. In my Surrey hometown of Walton on Thames there's an equal number of chavs to posh types (it seems) and the chavs are 100% more likely to make snide comments. Going to the supermarket the other day on my old bicycle with basket, wearing a less fancy vintage dress and with my hair just up in some way, I heard one in a group of teenage girls say, 'wow, she looks so cool, like a film star!' and a gang of boys shout something I didn't quite catch but sounded derogatory. In day to day life as well, women offer compliments more freely, I've found. But the teen girls can also be vile and sneery, whereas boys are just brash.

lareine

A-List Customer
I think people in the UK and Ireland are quite probably the worst offenders in the world when it comes to heckling strangers for no reason. I grew up in Ireland until I reached university age, and lived under British rule for most of the last 20 years. I became accustomed to being heckled pretty much daily (not because of how I dressed, but because of my body shape) and almost instinctively crossed the street or otherwise made an effort to avoid groups of young people, builders, or any of the other usual groups of hecklers. I cringed inwardly whenever I had to walk past a city centre McDonald's.

Since moving to New Zealand in 2007 (and remaining the same shape), I haven't been heckled once. Not once. New Zealand has young people, builders, and McDonald's, so I can only assume that those things by themselves didn't make the difference. It's something else.

MissHannah

One Too Many
lareine said:
I think people in the UK and Ireland are quite probably the worst offenders in the world when it comes to heckling strangers for no reason. I grew up in Ireland until I reached university age, and lived under British rule for most of the last 20 years. I became accustomed to being heckled pretty much daily (not because of how I dressed, but because of my body shape) and almost instinctively crossed the street or otherwise made an effort to avoid groups of young people, builders, or any of the other usual groups of hecklers. I cringed inwardly whenever I had to walk past a city centre McDonald's.

Since moving to New Zealand in 2007 (and remaining the same shape), I haven't been heckled once. Not once. New Zealand has young people, builders, and McDonald's, so I can only assume that those things by themselves didn't make the difference. It's something else.

Sadly I think you may be right. Builders and young blokes being the worst I think. It's obviously cultural. Is the rest of europe the same I wonder? Can any of the ladies from continental europe give us some insight?

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I was so emgrossed in reading my book the other day that I got on the wrong train and ended up getting at an unfamiliar stop. When I got out of the station I saw a man in full 30's style tweed suit with a handlebar moustache hopping on a pashley- he just stopped and stared at me and looked puzzled. I wasn't wearing amything overly vintage- I had wide leg trousers and black and white saddle shoes with a little 40's style cardi, and I had nibbled all my red lippie off whilist reading. It was quite a chavy areas so i bet he wasn't expectign to see anyone else not dressed in a tracksuit.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
Sadly I think you may be right. Builders and young blokes being the worst I think. It's obviously cultural. Is the rest of europe the same I wonder? Can any of the ladies from continental europe give us some insight?

When I was in Belgium for the day with school about 7 years ago my friend was dressed in quite a goth sort of way with a nose ring and choker type spiky necklace on and 2 adult men came up to him, said something clearly nasty and laughed in his face before walking away. We didn't speak French so I don't know what they said but they didn't know we were foreign so they obviously intended to intimidate and insult him to his face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112