Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Lenore said:
The flip flops, sweatshirt, messy pony tail, and lack of makeup came across as being lazy, not expressing herself as a laid back free spirit. I'm all for the laid back look if that's your thing, but I got the distinct impression it was laziness.

Regardless, she knew almost a week in advance that she was going to be conducting interviews that morning, and if I were in her shoes, despite how tired I might have been or if I felt bad, it would be my job to put forth a good first impression of the company and I would have made more effort than she did. That may just be me as I've spent ten years in front office and know the value of first impressions. Since becoming a mom, there has been many days of me going to work sans makeup, but it was on before 8 am. First impressions are too important.

:eek:fftopic: While I see the value in being neatly and professionally dressed (and I always am for work), I dislike the idea that women must wear makeup to work or to look professional. While I personally do wear makeup to work, I know a number of women who don't, and certainly none of the men I have worked with ever have. I find the idea that it is a mandatory part of 'professional' grooming for women a little off-putting.

Back on topic! I find that older ladies, particularly in department stores, always love to comment on seamed stockings when I wear them. They always ask whether they're back in fashion and like to reminisce about when they wore them. I love those conversations. :)

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Fancy Mouse said:
Back on topic! I find that older ladies, particularly in department stores, always love to comment on seamed stockings when I wear them. They always ask whether they're back in fashion and like to reminisce about when they wore them. I love those conversations. :)

I get that a lot too! It's great. They always want to know where I buy them.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I still do a vintage do and make up for work even though I have to dress like this at work.. http://www.safewayemployeestore.com...e=Women's+Shirts&dept_id=3007&WT.svl=deptnav2 YUCK!

I got a comment yesterday from a co-worker that she loved my hair and always loved to see what style my hair was going to look like everyday ( I do lots of different do's now that I have gotten the hang of it). She said I should have been a hair dresser, which is funny because I used to only ever just wear my hair in a messy braid and it took me forever to get my hair do's right, not to mention I still haven't master victory rolls!lol lol lol

Idledame

Practically Family
That is a truly horrible, unflattering shirt. It might be worth it to take them to a tailor and have them taken in on the side seams to be more flattering. I was a letter carrier and some of the carriers had their uniforms tailored just so they wouldn't feel so frumpy.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Is it not horrid?! I totally know how to tailor, just no time, you know I do not have one day off this week?! I'm totally thinking of deconstructing one into something cute, but I don't know how that will fly, the president of our company shops at my store:p :eek: lol .

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Maybe if your president sees you in something cute they'll realize how awful and unflattering those shirts are. Do they WANT their employees looking like potato sacks?

Inky

One Too Many
Back in June my husband and I went for a visit to the Kalamazoo, Michigan area to see his large family and attend his 20th High School reunion. Our trip was full of many funny incidents but the best was this:

We went to a tourist spot called Turkeyville, U.S.A. to have dinner. Apparently there is also a theater show at this place. I was wearing this outfit (photo taken at the 40's Silk City Diner at the Gilmore Car Museum - and well worth a visit if you are in Michigan!)

4765029705_8949be04d2.jpg

My mother-in-law and I were in the candy store of Turkeyville waiting for my husband to exit the restroom when a woman walked up to me and asked, "What time is the show?" I looked at her blankly and she blushed and asked, "You are an actor in the show, right?" Uh, no, I'm waiting for my husband, I am not in a show.

Poor lady was soooo embarrassed and hemmed and hawed trying to peddle her way out of it. I just smiled politely and she made her exit. My mother-in-law turns to me, laughs and asks, "So, want to go see the show?" We didn't ;)

hands down one of the best vintage comment moments!

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
I happen to work in a museum that is about WW2 so about a million times a day I get 'so do they make you dress like that?', 'do you do your hair and make up when you get into work or do you travel in like that?', 'How come nobody else here has to wear a costume?' , I've even had 'do your fiends know you dress like that at work?' followed by laughter as if I should be completely ashamed. I also get tourists focussing their long zoom camera lenses on me when I'm trying to work which can be pretty annoying, but I do get mostly positive comments, and also lots of saucy ones, with men asking me whether or not I've got stockings on jokingly, and when I say yes and turn round to show them my seams, they go awfully quiet and embarrassed. I've also had some horrible incidents, such as when a group of 5 grown men shouted across the road at me when I was on my own 'It's F***ing 2009!' Not very pleasant, but its all part and parcel of it.

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
YesterdayGirl said:
I've also had some horrible incidents, such as when a group of 5 grown men shouted across the road at me when I was on my own 'It's F***ing 2009!' Not very pleasant, but its all part and parcel of it.

Wow! Just wow :rage:

FAYEZY123

New in Town
YesterdayGirl said:
'It's F***ing 2009!' Not very pleasant, but its all part and parcel of it.

That is truly awful. I've had similar comments. People can be so horrible. But it's better to be noticed for not being part of the crowd than to be ignored.

FAYEZY123

New in Town
Lenore said:
Thanks, ladies. It's nice to hear I'm not totally off on the appropriate work attire attitude.

I got an email from my mother-in-law this morning. I suppose she talked to my husband and found out how upset I was by her comments. Apparently now I'm TOO overdressed and don't know how to dress for an interview and should google how I should dress to get a better idea. I'm not reading this wrong, am I?

"Sorry about your interview not turning out so well last week, their loss. I agree that flip flops are NOT office attire either. I suggest you go online and Google office interview attire though. You would think that the place that sent you on the interview would have given you a heads up on how they dressed over here.
I think you look beautiful in your purple dress but for most offices around Houston unless very upscale they might think you are too well dressed for them. LOL You can never go wrong with a black skirt/pants with a nice sweater top or shirt… You will find something soon and that one was not meant to be."

Forgive me, but WTF?!

Hi,I've been stalking a while and this story really p*ssed me off! How can you possibly be 'too well dressed' for a company?! Keep dressing the way you do. It's so much smarter than the black trousers and cheap shirt combo that EVERYONE wears to work! You can be smart and adhere to office dress regulations but still show a bit of personality!

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
FAYEZY123 said:
That is truly awful. I've had similar comments. People can be so horrible. But it's better to be noticed for not being part of the crowd than to be ignored.

Exactly. I'd rather feel good about myself and know that I'm being myself and receive a few horrible comments from a few ignorant idiots then dress in a way that just isn't me to please them.

D

Deleted member 12480

YesterdayGirl said:
Exactly. I'd rather feel good about myself and know that I'm being myself and receive a few horrible comments from a few ignorant idiots then dress in a way that just isn't me to please them.

i totally agree, and i've had people shout things like 'its the 21st century' and other things like that, but it does make you feel a bit crappy sometimes?
especially when its a bunch of not-much-older-than-you-are people (in my case) having a good old chuckle at your expense.

Even though i love how i look, i don't understand why people (especially those in far-too-big clothes, clutching skateboards and surrounded by pigeons) CARE so much that i don't dress in crop-tops and 'jeggins' like everyone else my age?

xx

lareine

A-List Customer
deleteduser said:
Even though i love how i look, i don't understand why people (especially those in far-too-big clothes, clutching skateboards and surrounded by pigeons) CARE so much that i don't dress in crop-tops and 'jeggins' like everyone else my age?
Because your self-confidence and sense of style makes them feel like stupid sheep in comparison, so they lash out to bring you down to their level. They don't like seeing somebody who has the courage to break free from the herd because that makes them uncomfortable and points out their own failings in that area.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
i totally agree, and i've had people shout things like 'its the 21st century' and other things like that, but it does make you feel a bit crappy sometimes?
especially when its a bunch of not-much-older-than-you-are people (in my case) having a good old chuckle at your expense.

xx

Well, in my experience people who laugh at you for how you dress are rather insecure in themselves. I've worn a full petticoat and fifties dress to school before and I got a compliment from a girl. I'm not sure if it was sarcastic but I said, "Thank you!" and gave her a bright smile and walked off. So I'm sure she just felt dumb if she was being sarcastic! :p And the girl in my first class commented on how large my skirt was... I just smiled and said "I know!" and that was that.

I agree with the sheep as well. Don't let them get you down, we all look fabulous!

(Although don't you hate it when someone shouts out a car at you? Yeesh.)

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Are you a performer? :) <got that today.

EDIT: sorry ladies, didn't realize this was the powder room version of this thread.

D

Deleted member 12480

lareine said:
Because your self-confidence and sense of style makes them feel like stupid sheep in comparison, so they lash out to bring you down to their level. They don't like seeing somebody who has the courage to break free from the herd because that makes them uncomfortable and points out their own failings in that area.

you are of course, completely right!
xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

Lady Jessica said:
Well, in my experience people who laugh at you for how you dress are rather insecure in themselves. I've worn a full petticoat and fifties dress to school before and I got a compliment from a girl. I'm not sure if it was sarcastic but I said, "Thank you!" and gave her a bright smile and walked off. So I'm sure she just felt dumb if she was being sarcastic! :p And the girl in my first class commented on how large my skirt was... I just smiled and said "I know!" and that was that.

I agree with the sheep as well. Don't let them get you down, we all look fabulous!

(Although don't you hate it when someone shouts out a car at you? Yeesh.)

haha yeah i've done that before!
two yobs (haha) at my school seem to take great delight in telling me to go back to the 1930s/20s. I just tell them I will, even though the era is completely wrong and they start talking about WWII.

Well done you chav, because WWII was in the 20s wasn't it. :|

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
It's strange really because people actually seem to be offended by the way I look, they have such strong reactions. And it's a look that people feel compelled to tell you out loud what they think about it, whether it's good or bad. I never go up to people ion the street and tell them that I think they look really stupid. It's very strange. The other day at work I could hear two ladies saying 'Oh look, she is dressed in 1940s clothes, oh I better not say anything just in case she isn't' First of all lady: I CAN HEAR YOU, second of all, why would you need to say anything anyway? note what you see, form an opinion, and move on!:rage:

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I find that so strange. Whenever I'm in London no one even looks, let alone comments on the way I dress. I get a few stares from men, but that's about it and I've always had compliments. I've found in town there are just so many differently dressed people I don't stand out a bit. I've actually discovered I get better service in restaurants and bars too than before. I think this might be something to do with 40s looks being more sophisticated than today's and you generally look less cheap.

If I go out in Surrey I don't get commented on either as there are quite a lot of sophisticated, well to do types that either admire a smartly dressed lady or simply would never have the impertinence to comment.

I did get a stare from a couple of chavs who sniggered a little, but they were way too embarrassed to say anything and they were awefully dressed so it didn't bother me in the slightest. I walked confidently and ignored them and they were slumped. Their body language said everything about slob, which is probably partly why they didn't say anything.

I think half of it, perhaps, is the way you walk. If you walk and hold yourself confidently people don't comment because you don't come across as vulnerable. I've found this works with me anyway, but then again I do live in a lucky area. I'm also grateful I'm not still at school because teenagers can especially be cruel to those who stand out. Then again I was a goth in high school and certainly wasn't unpopular and no one mocked me or commented (but again I went to a top grammar school).

I think it does depend largely on the area of the country in which you live as to how many negative/positive comments you'll get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk