Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
It’s the same for me as with you ladies, whether positive or rude comments…dressing well in vintage makes strangers think they have the right to comment and/or give advice. I certainly don’t mind the positive comments, of which they are mostly.

I too have gotten negative ones. I try not to let it get me down. Not long ago, a saleswoman negatively commented on my look (particularly the suit I was wearing) and my apparently overweight body. Guess the clothes in her shop wouldn’t fit me! Yeah..that was a bad day. :(

When I was visiting London last year, I had nothing but positive comments from men in the street and sweet little old ladies. It was lovely. ;0

X
BD

Drappa

One Too Many
My theory is that the aggression stems from people feeling like we see ourselves as superior by being different and therefore trying to bring us "down a notch" if you will. I don't think it is necessarily our difference that they find offensive, but the fact that it makes them look at and question themselves perhaps. Other times it's just trying to be part of the majority and impress their friends, because many people do actually want to fit in and care a lot about what others think, just so that they are not the different ones, just to make sure that they themselves fit in and are part of something.
I have found this applies not only to clothing and style, but also to lifestyle. The exact same thing happens when people stray from the norm in anything, in my case being a 30-something woman and not wanting children, or being vegan. People somehow find these lifestyle choices highly offensive and will lash out at length without being the least bit provoked. And any group of people that could be considered "fringe" because of their sexuality, diet or fashion experiences this. As soon as we figure out that it's their problem, not our's, it gets easier to accept.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My hubby is from London so we go there a lot and I never got a positive OR negative comment in the city of London or Cambridge way (where the in-laws live).

Devon (where the in-laws USED to live), on the other hand, I *did* get several comments. They were mixed. The verbal comments were all good, but I did get some confused stares. The weird part -- this was years ago before I was as extreme as I am now. I guess I'm just weird looking lol [huh]

In Philadelphia no one cares, either. It's usually THE TOURISTS who stare. Weirdos. lol

Drappa

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Sadly I think you may be right. Builders and young blokes being the worst I think. It's obviously cultural. Is the rest of europe the same I wonder? Can any of the ladies from continental europe give us some insight?
I am from Germany, but lived in Canada for nearly 8 years and have now lived in the UK for 5 years. While I was in Canada my best friend there was British, and I could not believe the things she and her English friends experienced in school in terms of bullying etc., until I moved here that is. I find the UK to be quite hostile about things like this (including homophobia and racism), and the herd mentality you mentioned does seem a lot stronger than in either Germany or Canada. I once told her that my best friend used to knit in class, and she couldn't believe that she wouldn't have been beaten up for this. This is obviously just her town and her experiences, but I still can't quite fathom growing up feeling so vulnerable all the time.
I moved to Devon when I came here and yes, it is definitely conservatiove and somewhat homogenous culturally, so I can see how that would result in heckling. London is much more open I think.

JessieDollie

New in Town
Well I'm from Essex, England. Yes, the majority of people here are chavs and you meet your fair share of typical "Essex girls" so I do get a lot of weird stares as you would expect.
However elderly people often give me smiles and one lady told me a had a beautiful taste in fashion and that she wishes all young ladies dressed like me. Hehe bless her :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
I didn't know your husband had a Devon connection Amy :D Whereabouts do his in-laws live?

Westward Ho!

They moved to Cambridge for a brief time and now they are back in the Westward Ho! area. I forget the name right now, but they said they are near Atlantic Village.

Also, in Brighton no one looked at me weird. I got hit on by a few guys in the pub :D

velvetongue

Familiar Face
I live in NYC and fortunately here no one cares what you look like. Everyone is very diverse and it's easy to blend in with the crowd. I also work in Creative so having an armful of tattoos and vintage (or vintage-inspired/sewn) clothing isn't perceived as strange. Once in awhile my Creative Director will tell me, "What movie did you step out of?" or one of my workmates will say, "You look like an extra from a movie" but I consider that complimentary.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
I can't help feeling that the anger it provokes must be some kind of very base herd mentality - it's extremely difficult to empathise with isn't it?!

I think this is the crux. Anything different is somehow a threat.

On holiday in Spain a couple of years ago, I was much less flamboyantly dressed than my friend, who has spent a lot of time there, and she said "Oh don't worry, they appreciate a well-dressed woman here" and I found that to be true. We turned heads in the nicest possible way, and only heard very respectful and admiring comments.

London is lovely. I completely believe that Platform 9 3/4 is at Kings Cross, because you could certainly travel through carrying owls and no one would notice. But I think anything outside the M25 seems to be much more insular and narrow minded.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Kate O Potato said:
I had some school kids today tell me that my glasses were awful and that I looked about 80 years old. They got detentions. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[bad] lol :eusa_clap

That actually made me laugh out loud in my cubie. You rock!

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
Yesterday I went to my local game store with my boyfreind and the store owners wife cames up to me and say ," I love the 80's!!!" I was dressed in a plaid swirl dress and my hair in victory rolls ect. I said try 1940's... thne we went across to the book store and the booksotre owner said I just love you whole outift and your hair. I was happy! can't people tell the 80's from the 40s? I guess not ~lol

D

Deleted member 12480

prime example of Coventry Kids:

'You annoy me with your ridiculous clothes'

and couldn't even say it to my face, shame, i'd love to know who it was.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
deleteduser said:
prime example of Coventry Kids:

'You annoy me with your ridiculous clothes'

and couldn't even say it to my face, shame, i'd love to know who it was.

Response:

"In this day and age do you mean to say that's all you can find to be annoyed about? My dear, you just aren't *trying.*"

VintageVixie

LoserVonTeese said:
Yesterday I went to my local game store with my boyfreind and the store owners wife cames up to me and say ," I love the 80's!!!" I was dressed in a plaid swirl dress and my hair in victory rolls ect. I said try 1940's... thne we went across to the book store and the booksotre owner said I just love you whole outift and your hair. I was happy! can't people tell the 80's from the 40s? I guess not ~lol

So the 80s fashion trend that was 40s inspired is still in peoples' minds!

I don't get comments, but I'm always in big cities where it's just not that unusual. I on occasion get told I look like Rosie the Riveter, even though really I don't at all.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Response:

"In this day and age do you mean to say that's all you can find to be annoyed about? My dear, you just aren't *trying.*"

Or: "Good!"

I grew up in the NYC public school system, if you weren't weird, you weren't trying. Embrace it Annie, you're challenging preconceptions!

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
LoserVonTeese said:

I know. I really dislike the 80s fasions that are the "it" thing right now. To me they are so unflattering :eusa_doh: I can't believe someone thought a 40s dress was from the 80s.[huh]

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
bellabella327 said:
I know. I really dislike the 80s fasions that are the "it" thing right now. To me they are so unflattering :eusa_doh: I can't believe someone thought a 40s dress was from the 80s.[huh]
See "pretty in pink", Iona's character was set to be following a huge trend from the 80's where they dressed vintage. People who were around 17-30 then will liken your vintage duds with the movement of their time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana