Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

rue

I was openly laughed at by some girls in class today...I was pretty humiliated. I'm not stupid, I can see them laughing. I guess I should just let it go, as they are not exactly the kind of people who appreciate taste, and all mockery was completely cancelled out as one of my teachers, who won a nation-wide most stylish man contest LOVED my outfit, so that made me feel pretty good ;)

I'm so sorry sweetie..... girls can be some of the cruelest creatures ever. I know every mother says it, but I'll bet they were just jealous. Besides, you received a complement from someone that obviously knows style ;)

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
I was openly laughed at by some girls in class today...I was pretty humiliated. I'm not stupid, I can see them laughing. I guess I should just let it go, as they are not exactly the kind of people who appreciate taste, and all mockery was completely cancelled out as one of my teachers, who won a nation-wide most stylish man contest LOVED my outfit, so that made me feel pretty good ;)

I think all of us have had to grow a pretty thick skin in regards to the negative comments we can get from people, anybody who stands out for whatever reason is always going to be a target for those who are (how shall I say this?)... intellectually challenged.
I'm sure you looked just fine and try to remember that you possess something they don't - style and a personality! :)

Berlin

Practically Family
:) Thanks, everybody. It's good to have encouragement.

Yes it is. I agree on this.

But don't let them ever get you down, it was probably jealousy, like Rue said, and they probably knew no position to give. That's what happens if people feel uncomfortable in presence of those who dare to stand out, have style and personality.

So, if you ever feel bad, than come back to this thread ;)

Alex

Practically Family
I walked into work the other night (a grocery store) in my overcoat and fedora, and got comments such as:
"Woah, nice! I like it."
"You look like you're in the mafia or something."
"Oh hey Sherlock."
"It's not Halloween you know."

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I walked into work the other night (a grocery store) in my overcoat and fedora, and got comments such as:
"Woah, nice! I like it."
"You look like you're in the mafia or something."
"Oh hey Sherlock."
"It's not Halloween you know."

Kind of a mixed bag, huh?

JAZZmann

New in Town
I wore straight vintage (sportcoats ties shoes etc) to three class-days in a row. I got alot of compliments and a few wierd looks. The fourth day of class I dressed down and most the other guys in the class dressed up.
It was either emulation or mockery (I couldnt tell).

Yeah the comments are reflective of their personalities.l

So true for me as well. I also get quite the mixed bag whenever I go out. These include:
"Well, aren't you dressed nicely?"
"You look like Inspector Clouseau."
"It's not the 1930s, you know."
"So classy! I love it!"
I also had an older gentleman tip his hat at me.

Close-minded people usually laugh at me, not that I care. Interestingly, it's the more elderly ones who give me compliments; most young men my age just give me really awkard stares.

You're always gonna have wise-crackers. I see cockeyed glances in my direction now and then, but in the years since I moved here, people have gotten to know me and that this is just me.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Here is SP there is an enormous, classical, train station, from 1901 (the Luz Station), constructed in English style. And this station is where a few guys and girls meet wearing stylized XIXth century clothes (they call themselves "stampunk"). Usually they become "the talk of town".

MissMittens

One Too Many
Here is SP there is an enormous, classical, train station, from 1901 (the Luz Station), constructed in English style. And this station is where a few guys and girls meet wearing stylized XIXth century clothes (they call themselves "stampunk"). Usually they become "the talk of town".

We have steampunks too....but their clothes are more Victorian and they wear strange accessories, like welding goggles and things like that. Quite honestly, I like the steampunk computers that are out there. Very cool looking

M19.jpg

martinsantos

Practically Family
I have talked with some guys from taht group, and I've found they are most about XIXth century sci-fiction... And suprisingly they know very well not only Jules Verne, but all sci-fi by Conan Doyle and W.G Wells (all very hard to find here).

MissMittens

One Too Many
I have talked with some guys from taht group, and I've found they are most about XIXth century sci-fiction... And suprisingly they know very well not only Jules Verne, but all sci-fi by Conan Doyle and W.G Wells (all very hard to find here).

Ola'. Same here. Most of the ones I've met are either literature or art students

MissMittens

One Too Many
I had never heard of them before you two mentioned them, but I looked it up and they're really interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

It's a tangential off-shoot from the Emo scene that started in D.C. in the mid 1980's and went through a rebirth of sorts in the 90's as an alternative to Grunge. Steampunks are generally older than Scene kids though, and most of the ones I've met are mid to late 30's and do it for concerts and events rather than a lifestyle.

Ironically, Ohio is one of the main places for it in the U.S. from all accounts:

http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/group/OSS

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Funny this should come up - I started getting into vintage as a way to indulge my anachronistic tendencies on a more daily basis. I actually prefer the Victorian era and am on a couple 19th c. boards, but it seems a waste and is awfully difficult to wear corsets and bustles to the grocery store. Lots of the people on the other boards I frequent love the steampunk look and lifestyle, so it's passing normal to me. They're quite innovative in ways to adapt their love of sci-fi to history, and it's always fun to see what they come up with. They have several large conventions here in the states each year - someday I'd like to go to one.

rue

It's a tangential off-shoot from the Emo scene that started in D.C. in the mid 1980's and went through a rebirth of sorts in the 90's as an alternative to Grunge. Steampunks are generally older than Scene kids though, and most of the ones I've met are mid to late 30's and do it for concerts and events rather than a lifestyle.

Ironically, Ohio is one of the main places for it in the U.S. from all accounts:

http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/group/OSS

How weird that I didn't know about it [huh] I wonder why they're in Ohio?? Boredom? lol

rue

Funny this should come up - I started getting into vintage as a way to indulge my anachronistic tendencies on a more daily basis. I actually prefer the Victorian era and am on a couple 19th c. boards, but it seems a waste and is awfully difficult to wear corsets and bustles to the grocery store. Lots of the people on the other boards I frequent love the steampunk look and lifestyle, so it's passing normal to me. They're quite innovative in ways to adapt their love of sci-fi to history, and it's always fun to see what they come up with. They have several large conventions here in the states each year - someday I'd like to go to one.

I love the Victorian era as well and I understand what you mean about wearing the clothes. It's much easier to put on a suit from the 40s and walk around in this day and age, but it still looks odd standing next to the morons in Pajamas lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner