Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

beth

Familiar Face
Not really on topic, but I'm glad there are others here who can relate with the Houston weather! I thought I was alone. :)

Tatum

Practically Family
Tatum came up from the south, and we had a girl's day here in the Tampa area. We did a tour of Ybor, and stopped into one shop where the girl asked us if we were there for the convention. What convention, we asked. "Oh, the tattoo convention... I thought you two were pin up models!" How sweet was she? We decided it was the best comment we'd gotten all day :D

The other great one was at the antique store, when the proprietor said that we looked so lovely and made her store look lovely too! We had a great time :)

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I was told by a few people today that I looked like Mad Men. So now it's become a totally normal thing for people to refer to me as a show or a movie instead of an actual person. Strange! lol

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I was told by a few people today that I looked like Mad Men. So now it's become a totally normal thing for people to refer to me as a show or a movie instead of an actual person. Strange! lol

I think people identify easier with a show or movie star than an actual era, which is why they often make the comparison. Either way sometimes the comments can be completely inaccurate or utterly flattering.

Tatum

Practically Family
Gracie Lee and I got thanked yesterday for dressing period appropriate at Fantasy of Flight! That was the first time someone has ever said to me, "thank you for dressing vintage". They said it really enhanced their museum and symposium!

IMG_1566-1-e1299395346958.jpg

We actually had a couple good ones on our travels this weekend; at dinner Friday night a waitress asked us if we had been dancing.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Tatum -- looks really cool, but ... um.... wasn't there supposed to be a plane or two there? ;)

Sunshine State, eh? I grew up in Miami, did college at FSU, lived in Gainesville, spent time in the Mouse Infested City...

Tatum

Practically Family
Tatum -- looks really cool, but ... um.... wasn't there supposed to be a plane or two there? ;)

Sunshine State, eh? I grew up in Miami, did college at FSU, lived in Gainesville, spent time in the Mouse Infested City...

You're sweet! :D We actually took a ride in that biplane, they call it the vintage barnstorming flight.

I know, Florida is an interesting place. I live in Fort Myers, but I spend a lot of time all over the state for work. I find that Orlando is about the hardest city to get around in, especially when I-4 turns into a parking lot; instead of a grid, I swear they designed it in concentric circles, or maybe a spiral... My GPS saves my butt all the time there, and Gracie Lee always thanks me for doing the driving when we do trips there!

Effingham

A-List Customer
LOL!

I know. I spent too much time in the science building just watching the frikkin' big pendulum. One semester, and adios. I'm off to FSU. ;)

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
Most of the times it's the elderly that say things like: Oh I remember when I used to do my hair like that!
Some people say I look like Bettie Page (must be the fringe :p) and one man even said I look like Wanda Jackson. I don't see the resemblance, apparently he did.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well,
Older people say: you look sweet, that is one nice hat, I like your skirt (my skirts are NEVER above knee), you look very elegant today. They even go as far say saying "Hello" to me on the street, when I am a total stranger who they never met before. But: I look like them, I must be one of them.. hence Hello's are in order. :)
Young people: first of all they ask "where are you going?" because they think you should dress up only if you have some place to go. and the rest of the thins go behind my back; why does she wear a beret, are those her granny's shoes, can I borrow your sash to dance around with it (for some reason, they think the use for scarf is to wave it around while house music reaches it top peak).
But, mostly I get away with how I look.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
By all means - the more, the merrier! It would be a pleasure to meet more ladies of the Lounge! I rather suspect we (or I, at least) won't be making many more plans until May, but at that time, I will be in touch!

Tatum

Practically Family
amynbebes & jonniangel, I am in Orlando ALL THE TIME for work. If nothing else, we can grab lunch or something! I am pretty shopped out for a bit though. Gracie Lee, I will come kidnap you, you know this to be true ;)

PM me too!

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
Probably! I bet you looked a million dollars Miss G and i hope you had a great evening.

Jessegirl - Lois lane??? I guess we have to resign ourselves to the fact people who aren't into vintage have limited points of reference! I got Cruella de Ville once because i was wearing a white fur jacket and black gloves!! (I took it as a compliment, sort of)!

I use to get Cruella De Ville as well, I never understood it...I just assumed it was because I'm usually in black and am a bit on the tall/thin side.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Tonight I was asked at a conference (which had a 1920s murder mystery party the night before) if I was "part of something" or if I always dressed like that. I replied I always dressed like that. Then she replied that I looked very nice but I had on too much lace. Before she said lace she was gesturing to my chest and I was terrified that something had fallen out (while interviewing the Premier of Alberta...awkward :eek:). But luckily everything was in place.

Here I am in action so you can see my lace-ridden outfit (aka the top of my cami).
207284_1805082178154_1572870145_31741279_1782120_n.jpg

The lady had on some great red lipstick and a fantastic scarf so I think she was just being genuine and not snippy, which was nice. I had someone else (a gent, even!) that he liked my hair and that it was very 1920s. I always appreciate stranger's comments like that - because it's often genuine and they just don't have to say it just because.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner