Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Often the people who complain the loudest are the ones that are the most unhappy with their own lives. Nothing warrants making a person feel bad by what they choose to wear. It's their own personal style. They can choose to accept it or deal with it.

For some people, looks are everything. It's stupid. ...
I remember I was channel surfing one time and there happen to be this stupid talk show program like Jerry Springer on. The mother that was featured on the show with her daughter, was wearing these terribly inappropriate "sexy" attire. The daughter was wearing her 1950s look with the cat eye glasses and everything. What surprised me the most watching that was the negative reaction to the daughters outfit by an audience member in which there was all this cheering and the mother was even clapping about it. :(

I thought to myself, isn't it important to dress like a lady than to look trashy? I feel bad for women that feel the need to wear sexy clothing because they feel that the guy will like them better. :(

DD, I agree completely about it being better to dress "out of style" rather than "trashy"...
As to the comment: "...women ... feel the need to wear sexy clothing because they feel that the guy will like them better.", may I only say that I hope everyone on this forum knows that not all of us are idiots like that. Many of us appreciate and even prefer you ladies taking a little time to think of what you're wearing... And let me take this opportunity to say thank you ladies of the Fedora Lounge for trying to bring style back into fashion!

Isis

One of the Regulars
I was on the tube in London last weekend, wearing a dress I made from a vintage pattern and a vintage bag. It was a hot and sticky day and really busy, so I was leaning against the wall and right beside me, squished like sardines in a tin, were three women who spoke German. They obviously had no way of knowing that I could understand them, but they walked in and complained about the rude English people pushing to get on the tube, etc. Then they looked around and one of them, who was standing right next to me close enough to be touching my arm, remarked that people all looked so crazy on the tube, like this granny here (me!) and then went on to talk about others. I was desperately trying to think of something clever to say in German in order to shame her for being so rude and presumptuous, but you know what it's like when you can't come up with anything and then it's too late. It still annoys me, but I am glad I grew up bilingual and knew early on not to assume that people in other countries won't understand your language.

When my sister was a small child there was two sisters at her daycare that had just come from Turkey, so they, of course, only spoke Turkish. Somehow, as they learned Swedsih, my sister managed to soak up a lot of Turkish, so even if she can't speak it, she understands a lot, even to this day. When she was a teens she was once spoken about on the bus by two elderly Turkish ladies who wasn't nice about her clothes at all, safely believing that my sister couldn't understand. When she stood to leave she turned to them and said "You know, *I* was so well brought up that I learned not to speak about other people like that. Especially not when they can hear."

She says she has never seen two people look more flabbergasted than they did at that moment.

Drappa

One Too Many
^That is brilliant! I also understand Turkish quite well, and as a teenager my friends and I used to get talked about on the bus or subway by Turkish men. They were also really amazed whenever I would reply to them and it really is priceless.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
DD, I agree completely about it being better to dress "out of style" rather than "trashy"...
As to the comment: "...women ... feel the need to wear sexy clothing because they feel that the guy will like them better.", may I only say that I hope everyone on this forum knows that not all of us are idiots like that. Many of us appreciate and even prefer you ladies taking a little time to think of what you're wearing... And let me take this opportunity to say thank you ladies of the Fedora Lounge for trying to bring style back into fashion!

Thank you! There are still gentlemen on this planet! lol :) I like to think that not all guys are portrayed as those idiots or as badly as men are portrayed in the media. It's too bad that when things like that get portrayed in the media so much, that people start believing that to be the truth. Luckily most of the guys I have ever known are really cool nice people. Then there were the few that were not so much.

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
I mustered up the courage to finally wear a hat (besides the unobtrusive beret) out to run errands the other day...a wide-brimmed red felt. I got a lot of funny looks in Wally World (and no wonder!) but at the antique store a lady stopped me and said, "Your hat is beautiful!" Which, of course, made the rest of my day. It's amazing what a few words can do. I don't think I'll be so shy about wearing hats now :D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I mustered up the courage to finally wear a hat (besides the unobtrusive beret) out to run errands the other day...a wide-brimmed red felt. I got a lot of funny looks in Wally World (and no wonder!) but at the antique store a lady stopped me and said, "Your hat is beautiful!" Which, of course, made the rest of my day. It's amazing what a few words can do. I don't think I'll be so shy about wearing hats now :D

I used to be shy about them too, but now I love them, because they create a presence. Shoes can't have all the glory!

OT: I call it Wally World too lol

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
I wore a beautiful early fifties dress with matching jacket out to a restaurant to hear a singer perform a few weeks ago. I teamed it with a matching hat and shoes and felt very beautiful. I received a number of film noir comments and such but the comment that made my night was after the event I went backstage to meet the performer (Deborah Conway) who I have been a giant fan of since my teens, She gushed about my outfit and asked if I dress like this full time and was generally interested in where I get my frocks from!!!!

Louise Anne

Suspended
I wore a beautiful early fifties dress with matching jacket out to a restaurant to hear a singer perform a few weeks ago. I teamed it with a matching hat and shoes and felt very beautiful. I received a number of film noir comments and such but the comment that made my night was after the event I went backstage to meet the performer (Deborah Conway) who I have been a giant fan of since my teens, She gushed about my outfit and asked if I dress like this full time and was generally interested in where I get my frocks from!!!!

Very nice to read about such a posative experiance when wearing vintage, I am very pleased for you.

Puzzicato

One Too Many

I love Deborah Conway! You lucky thing. Wonderful voice and such a lovely strong woman.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I used to be shy about them too, but now I love them, because they create a presence. Shoes can't have all the glory!

I have to admire you ladies who wear hats - I would love to wear hats more (and not just berets which I tend to wear every Autumn/Winter) - I have two little half hats - one in leopard print and one in red velvet feathers with rhinestones - and this year I am determined to wear them both!!!!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have to admire you ladies who wear hats - I would love to wear hats more (and not just berets which I tend to wear every Autumn/Winter) - I have two little half hats - one in leopard print and one in red velvet feathers with rhinestones - and this year I am determined to wear them both!!!!

Those sound beautiful! Have you posted pictures anywhere? :) I have a cloche I am determined to wear this winter, which shall be a departure for me!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Those sound beautiful! Have you posted pictures anywhere? :) I have a cloche I am determined to wear this winter, which shall be a departure for me!

I posted pictures of them when I got them (but not of me wearing them!) - here they are:

LeopardHat.jpg

il_570xN_92900160.jpg

Your cloche hat sounds lovely - I love that particular style of hat - do post a photo of you wearing it!

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
On Saturday I had on a vintage-inspired dress and my next door neighbor came out while I was deadheading some flowers and told me when she was 15, she had a dress just like the one I was wearing. She said her grandmother sent it to her from Florida around 1948 and she loved it. Later on, my husband and I went to see a band and I got several compliments on my outfit, but really, the best was hearing from my neighbor.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Miss Golightly, those hats are dreamy :) You're going to look lovely in them.

ThePowderKeg, I adore when people say you take them back in time - It's probably the most genuine comment any of us could receive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran