Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am so sorry...

Mojito said:
I took this as a compliment, even though it wasn't intended that way...

The husband of great friend has nothing in common with me, beyond our interest in running. He confided to another person in our group that he thinks I'm "weird" (and not just because of the vintage clothing thing...I'm far too bookish, and any chick who writes articles for historical periodicals on Edwardian mercantile maritime practices can't be altogether sane).

He was out at our place for my birthday last weekend. The rest of my circle of friends are entirely accustomed to my rather eclectic taste in clothes and music, so they were not suprised when I came to greet them...wearing a 1920s lace afternoon dress and capeline with velvet flower trimming.

He arrived, the whole "weird" issue resurfaced...and in I swanned, kisses on cheeks for the guests. My friends told me later they were doubled over laughing, as it was everything he'd complained about me to the maximum degree.

But he really sounds like an unimaginative person! I was typing something much more uncomplimentary and remembered that this is a family site... but really! What a tiny, narrow little mind he must have!

Laraquan

Familiar Face
I got lots of compliments the last time I did it. Though I chickened out and said it was all to lure a friend of mine to uni to attend an important lecture.

I'm sorry... :eek: I lack the personal strength to stand up for my rights to dress different.

On the plus side, everyone said I looked fabulous! Though not a single thing, other than the houndstooth jacket, was actual vintage (still gotta date that thing), it all came together nicely.

BegintheBeguine

I also went to a benefit gala last Saturday, Black Tie Optional. Since I was going alone, and this is upstate New York and people just might show up in bluejeans, I decided against a ballgown (I own several) and wore the ice blue shantung Jacqueline Kennedy short formal that I bought from Miss Bella Hell.
58575858_tp.jpg
Well, I saw so many lovely outfits there, I really was ashamed of myself for thinking that this generous community doesn't have the sense to decipher an invitation. Anyhow, I lost count of the compliments I recieved. Afterward I went to a birthday celebration for me at the Goth club, again, only compliments. People were calling me and my guy friend John and Jackie! :D

Mojito

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
But he really sounds like an unimaginative person! I was typing something much more uncomplimentary and remembered that this is a family site... but really! What a tiny, narrow little mind he must have!
Thanks, Miss 1929 :) He married into our group, and I know I'm not the only one of us he thinks is too eccentric. He was aghast on one occasion when, celebrating someone's birthday, we danced in a conga line around the living room - hardly outrageous conduct. If the price of being a bit non-conventional but thoroughly enjoying myself, dressing as I please and being a bit exhuberant on the odd occasion is to be considered "weird" by someone whose opinion I don't particularly value, it's a price I don't think twice about paying. And the people I'm closest to encourage me, if anything - even my fashionista sister loves some of the dresses.

BegintheBeguine, no wonder that dress earned you nothing but compliments - outfits don't come more classically elegant than that! Would love to see a photo of you all dolled up in it.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Actually I've always had really nice comments... I noticed that men act differently when I dress vintage... Last night I was in a pub in my hometown in France, and the waiter was british! I had some red lipsplick on my glass (which I totally hate lol...), and he asked me "Is it yours?" I replied yes and I was a bit ashamed lol!! He said that it was very beautiful with my hair (I'm a redhead with very curly hair, and that night I decided to have a 1930's kind of hairdo). At the end of the evening, when I left the pub he told me "Bye Miss Lipstick" lol!! And everytime I go to this pub he calls me "Miss Lipstick"!!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I was coming up the escalator in the tube the other day wearing a 40s outfit and a very lavishly dressed cyber-goth gave me a sort of 'solidarity' smile, as if he was acknowledging the fact we were both dressed outside of the norm!lol

BegintheBeguine

That guy is a wet blanket.

That fellow only wants to draw attention to himself in the only way he knows how, by being negative. Hmpf. You always look so lovely.
Thanks, Mojito, I know I was photographed so I will try to get my paws on a picture to post it. The above picture is courtesy of Miss Bella Hell. Oh, and the shoes and handbag were silver.

Miss 1929

People like him...

Mojito said:
Thanks, Miss 1929 :) He married into our group, and I know I'm not the only one of us he thinks is too eccentric. He was aghast on one occasion when, celebrating someone's birthday, we danced in a conga line around the living room - hardly outrageous conduct. If the price of being a bit non-conventional but thoroughly enjoying myself, dressing as I please and being a bit exhuberant on the odd occasion is to be considered "weird" by someone whose opinion I don't particularly value, it's a price I don't think twice about paying. And the people I'm closest to encourage me, if anything - even my fashionista sister loves some of the dresses.

BegintheBeguine, no wonder that dress earned you nothing but compliments - outfits don't come more classically elegant than that! Would love to see a photo of you all dolled up in it.

Are the reason I moved to San Francisco...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Katie Brookes and I had lunch last week and I was wearing a wool suit jacket a pill box hat and a pencil skirt. I went to work in it (why not). My co workers said i looked like a 50s stewardess. :confused:

LD

Daniel

Familiar Face
After receiving several compliments on my style of dress -- and appreciating them -- it made me realize that giving OUT compliments is certainly appropriate, if done with honesty and good taste.

I've yet to have a negative reaction from sincerely stating: "You have a GREAT sense of personal style!" Just today it was a forty-something woman; she had on what appeared to be a coffee-colored Merino wool top, a tweed short skirt, patterned hose, Mary Janes...and it worked just great on her. Not a style close to my own heart, but nonetheless her patterns, textures, and the overall earth-toned ensemble was very attractive. The biggest smile I've ever received from giving out a compliment was from a hardcore Goth girl, likely two decades younger than me. It was on the street, and I think we both recognized that we were dressing outside of the established norm. There's a certain brotherhood in that.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Today I was at the mall, dressed kinda sloppily in just a black shirt, jeans and with my hair natural (aka frizzy and wavy) and red lipstick on. Hardly vintage at all. But the man at the pretzel place stopped to talk to me, saying I reminded him of one of Howard Hughes' girlfriends and I looked very early 40's.

This was even without any vintage on or hair done whatsoever. Needless to say I was very flattered, especially since I thought I looked like hell.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Pidg that's awesome!! You are gorgeous tho.. but how ironic, if he only knew, hehe...

I wore that cherry print dress and red sweater, and red peep toes to work the other day. All vintage inspired. I got several comments when going into the fabric store, ect...
But my first client asked me if I was the only one dressed up for Halloween!
Nikki

pigeon toe said:
Today I was at the mall, dressed kinda sloppily in just a black shirt, jeans and with my hair natural (aka frizzy and wavy) and red lipstick on. Hardly vintage at all. But the man at the pretzel place stopped to talk to me, saying I reminded him of one of Howard Hughes' girlfriends and I looked very early 40's.

This was even without any vintage on or hair done whatsoever. Needless to say I was very flattered, especially since I thought I looked like hell.

Kim_B

Practically Family
My favorite compliment came from my mother-in-law. We were at lunch the other Sunday and I had my hair pulled back in my usual vintage-y style and she told me l looked like one of those 40's movie stars. They love classic movies and are always watching TMC. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Note:
Dont dress vintage and wear a hat on Halloween. :eusa_doh:
Im wearing a dress I always wear with my 50s sweater, gloves, cotton stockings (cause its cold) and just for fun today, a pill box hat.

"Oh, are you a 50s flight attendant!?"
"Oh are you a 50s waitress?!"

My manager at work did say something that I though was cute tho;
"Aw, you look like you're sending someone off to war." :eek:

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I forgot all about it being Halloween last night until I was sitting in the box office and a gal walked by dressed like Rosie The Riveter -- overalls, headscarf, lunchbox and all. I had my hair up in a scarf as well, and she gave me a ferocious scowl.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I dressed vintage for most of the conference I just attended in San Francisco and I got some nice compliments.

I think my favorite comment was when I attended a reception that quickly followed another event. I barely had time to blow into my room and throw on a black 1950's cocktail dress--no time for nylons, fresh makeup or more jewelry than just a bracelet.

While I was kibitzing at the reception a woman I didn't know tapped me on the shoulder and said "You know you're the best dressed person in the room, don't you?" If she only knew that I'd gotten dressed in 5 minutes flat! Ah, the power of a good dress!

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Unfortunately (fortunately?) a 270 lb. man dressed in vintage clothes and a hat usually gets asked, jokingly (?), if he's a "hit man". lol

That's the usual response I get from those brave enough to say something.

Of course, they're all dead now...

BigLittleTim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav