Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
C-dot said:
You're right! Marilyn was no more attractive than any of us - She just knew how to work what she had.

Although Marilyn knew how to work what she had she was also very beautiful - you only have to look at photos of her without a scrap of make-up to know she was stunning. Certainly there are other women who are equally as beautiful (some may say even more so) but she had that special something about her that transcends good looks.

RockabillyHolly

New in Town
usually the comments i get are really positive. i get a lot of stares too but that may just be because of my tattoos. one time at a swing event that i used to teach at this one girl said to me 'i just love all the costumes you always wear!' to which i snapped 'they arent costumes! these are my clothes!!' i know she meant well but that just pushed my button!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Magdalena said:
Thank you so much you guys!I can't wait to walk into those glass doors next year and show em whose boss.You guys have great advice!Now that I think about it there are 2 muslim girls who will be in high school so if they can handle the rude stares and stuff(and sadly enough they probably have it worse than me)so can I!!!

You go, girl! You're going to make us proud! lol

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I wore a fifties dress to the mall once, with a petticoat and everything. My friend convinced me to go to Gottschalk's (Not sure on the spelling, I don't shop there often) because they were having a 'going out of business sale' and this elderly woman said to me, "It's good to see people wearing skirts like that again." :)

Tikismall

New in Town
I get some funny looks here and there. It's really my tattoos and the fact I am wearing clothes that people often say are "conservative".

That's about all I really get comments wise, most people don't say much of anything to me when I am walking.

Unless it's the young guys who think it's funny to try and hit on any woman walking anywhere in earshot : "I like them tattoos girl". Is what I hear most often. lol

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have been wearing vintage to work everyday and recieving tons of compliments. I was volunteering at a class at my place of employment and I was helping my teacher to set up for the class and to pass around the handouts ect...during the class the teacher used me as an example. The class was for job seekers and she was pointing out that all job seekers need to brand themselves in some way to make themselves stand out, for example to come up with a phrase or to dress in a certain way. That was when she pointed out that my retro style of clothing always looks classy, that I stand apart from the rest and my clothes make people aware of who I am. I told her basically that is part of the reason why I dress this way that it is indeed my personal brand and style and it does make me distinct. Before I was dressing vintage all the time I just kind of got lost in a crowd... now people are like hey I know you.

Brooksie

Brooksie

One Too Many
Magdalena said:
That gets me thinking ,I'll be going to high school a year from now.( I know I'm young!!!;) :eek: )Do you think I should brave it and wear it or should i tone it down? I 'm a little scared of what my peers will think. I'v already worn a bit of it in front of some of them and I just wanted to crawl into a hole.The girls can be really nasty!!!Please tell me what you think!!!

I say ROCK THE VINTAGE! And be proud! In highschool I looked like a new waver and incorporated a lot of vintage in my wardrobe. There were mostly lots of Rockers and Preppies at my school... and very few wavo's so I stood out in the crowd. The preppies mostly just ignored the few wavo's that were there but at times the rockers could be down right cruel with there comments and bad ass attitudes.

And you know what to this day I am glad I was who I was... strong, courageous, and I marched to the beat of my own drum and still do to this day.

Brooksie

Lucinda Q

New in Town
I usually get
"How's the war going?" - my mother means it in the best way lol
"Wow, you're very...overdressed"
and the most frequent
"you look that lady, the one with the big martini glass, the one who married Marilyn Manson "

Lillemor

One Too Many
I guess you could say I had a confused 1950s and 70s thing going on yesterday while vacuuming and 90% of my clothes either being in one of three stages of laundry so I was in a short sleeved knit top, knit slip-over, and pin striped pants, straight loose legs with crease (not flared bellbottoms). I think some women wore that style of pants in the 70s. My hair was straight and center parted the way I prefer it until it's grown longer. Then the doorbell rang and a man I'd never seen asked:

"Are your parents home?" I was smiling from ear to ear.:D

My reply: "I am the parent at home!".:) I hope I didn't sound offended. He apologized profusely three times; Right on the spot, when he later spoke to my husband after he came home from work and again before he left our house. I kept repeating that he'd caused no offense and that I was very flattered.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Awwww, Lillemor, that's so adorable!!! You probably looked cute-as-a-button look like you usually do. :)

Yesterday, I was getting ready to leave work for the day, but had to stop off at the ladies room first. When I went up to the bank of sinks to wash my hands, a lady from another department looked over and said, "Oh! You're hair is so cute!" Something little, but it tickled me pink.

klind65

One of the Regulars
I do receive many compliments and always respond with a gracious "thank you". If I feel the person is interested, I will continue speaking a bit about erstwhile sartorial styles and the general collapse of standards, which characterizes today's world. Categorically people agree and then begin telling me of the things which bother them about how things have changed. Often it turns into a lengthy conversation ( if I have the time!).

I have had a few instances of people asking me (very sweetly with a smile) if I am going to a wedding or if there is a special occasion for my presentation. ( sad to think one needs a reason for dressing well but no reason for dressing badly)... sometimes I'll simply smile and shake my head but other times, I will express my preference for the "way people used to dress" ; I have been gratified at the number of people who smile and nod their heads in agreement.

As I usually take a similar route in my daily peregrinations, I often see the same people whom I have jokingly referred to as my "fans" as they "look" for me each day and always have a kind word to say.

I have been asked to have my photo taken many times - requests which I always happily oblige. But my most unusual experience was when I was chased down the street by overzealous Japanese tourists wanting to take my picture. Yet I wasn't aware of its happening and was only told about it by the driver of the bus which I had boarded ( apparently in the nick of time!):)

Lillemor

One Too Many
You two are so lucky. At least you receive direct compliments that you can thank people for. Yesterday I wore a retro 50s skirt, short sleeved shirt/blouse, turquoise bobby sox that matched the turquoise stripe in my skirt and the color of the shirt. Other than that I only matched the eyeliner to the outfit and wore a blue/turquoise scarf as a headband. No real big effort. Yet, several seniors stopped and smiled to appreciate me and one man got of his bike and moved to the side to let me walk past him.lol It really seems to make the day for some seniors when I smile and say hello. "Goddag" doesn't really translate...

klind65. I've never thought of them as my senior fan following!:D That's a new way of thinking.;)

December

One of the Regulars
Magdalena said:
You said it sister.The other day I wore a headscarf while my mother got some things from the store.I stayed in the car.2 ladies pulled up beside us one was in her 20's the other in her 60's. The one in her 60's got out of the car while the other one waited.And do you know what?That stupid little poophead tried to take a picture of me.So I just looked at her like adults do to bratty chidren.I don't think she got one but I am just furious.

At the beginning of the year, I was in London with a friend who was also wearing vintage. We were walking along a bridge, and a man with a camera overtook us then quickly whipped around, took a photo and ran away.

Then, that same day, we were sitting on a bench along the Thames and a woman stood right in front of us taking photos. She didn't say anything, and she took her time doing so. Just took a few photos and walked off again.

It was odd!

Elaina

One Too Many
I had a little kid of 3-4 the other day run up to me and tugged on my skirt and asked me if I had candy. I was in a 30s styled outfit, nothing overly vintage, just slightly feminine and retro.

His mother said his great grandmother used to dress like that and always had candy on her. And, yes, I had candy.

SayCici

Practically Family
Elaina said:
I had a little kid of 3-4 the other day run up to me and tugged on my skirt and asked me if I had candy. I was in a 30s styled outfit, nothing overly vintage, just slightly feminine and retro.

His mother said his great grandmother used to dress like that and always had candy on her. And, yes, I had candy.
That is such a sweet story!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Tonight Sat. we all went to the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto to see Tyrone Power in "The Mark of Zorro" and "the Black Swan". After Zorro I went to the concession counter for popcorn and a soda and the gal working behind the counter said to me, "Has anyone told you you look like Maureen O' Hara in that?" :) I was wearing my hair as it is in my newest avatar pic and my vintage 40s kelly green wool garbardine jacket over a light green linen blouse with jeans and my vintage flats lace up shoes. Maureen O'Hara starred with Tyrone in the the second feature.

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
chanteuseCarey said:
Tonight Sat. we all went to the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto to see Tyrone Power in "The Mark of Zorro" and "the Black Swan". After Zorro I went to the concession counter for popcorn and a soda and the gal working behind the counter said to me, "Has anyone told you you look like Maureen O' Hara in that?" :) I was wearing my hair as it is in my newest avatar pic and my vintage 40s kelly green wool garbardine jacket over a light green linen blouse with jeans and my vintage flats lace up shoes. Maureen O'Hara starred with Tyrone in the the second feature.

What a fantastic compliment! :) Wish I could've been there.

klind65

One of the Regulars
I just received a comment a few minutes ago which some of you won't consider a compliment, I guess, but I like it: The gent said, and I quote, " Has anyone ever told you you look like Ivana Trump?" Now, I am wearing a big picture hat in ivory sinamay with flowers and a ribbon with streamers, a pink silk suit skirt....and white gloves. I think he was mainly responding to my hat....and it was obvious he holds Mrs. Trump in high esteem so I know he meant it as a compliment....

...Ironically, I actually was in Suzanne Millinery where I got the hat I have on when Mrs. Trump came in to buy a hat or two ...or 100's! who knows....but I have to say that although she is not "vintage" or a classic film figure, she is quite lovely in person and very pretty - so I 'll take it!:)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Was dressed like this when I arrived to Pilates class at the YMCA. Worn with jeans and my beige vintage flats. My teacher Bill said after class that my makeup looked really great. Another lady in the class told me she really liked my top here. No eyeglasses on in these pics, but I did wear my vintage 40s AO eyeglasses for class. I changed into a lightweight t-shirt and long knit pants for class. Got too sweaty in class to change back into the vintage blouse afterwards.
372674064.jpg

372674054.jpg

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
klind65 said:
I just received a comment a few minutes ago which some of you won't consider a compliment, I guess, but I like it: The gent said, and I quote, " Has anyone ever told you you look like Ivana Trump?" Now, I am wearing a big picture hat in ivory sinamay with flowers and a ribbon with trailers, a pink silk suit skirt....and white gloves. I think he was mainly responding to my hat....and it was obvious he holds Mrs. Trump in high esteem so I know he meant it as a compliment....

...Ironically, I actually was in Suzanne Millinery where I got the hat I have on when Mrs. Trump came in to buy a hat or two ...or 100's! who knows....but I have to say that although she is not "vintage" or a classic film figure, she is quite lovely in person and very pretty - so I 'll take it!:)

I definitely see why it could be a compliment. Ivana Trump was often ridiculed int the tabloid, but she is an attractive Lady.

ivana-trump-makeunder-bazaar-de.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy