Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Compliments and other reactions

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The only serious insult that I have had came accompanied with quite an unexpected compliment. It was about two years ago, my wife had texted me to buy some provisions on my way home from work. At the supermarket, a group of young teenage lads, skating around on their skateboards, all dressed in jeans that defied decency, the waistline being about four inches or so below the hips. the all wore tee shirts with vulgar statements, trainers and the obligatory reversed caps. One lad, probably showing bravado in front of his friends, said: I can't repeat it, but you know the word women hate most, begins with 'C,' that's how he described me.

The compliment that followed came from a West Indian guy, wearing a fabulously colourful outfit, he told the lad: "Man, you call him a '*' have you looked in the mirror?" I tipped my hat to him, he responded with an index finger to his eyebrow gesture, like a single finger salute.

A compliment and insult, all in the same encounter.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
I got a nice comment about my hat the other day when taking my kids rogue local children's museum. It was from an older African American gentleman who worked there and commented that it looked good on me, even though I was carrying it at the time. I'm assuming he saw us enter as it is a relatively small place:..

...he responded with an index finger to his eyebrow gesture, like a single finger salute...
Here in the U.S., "single finger salute" has a very different meaning. :D

Regarding the few comments I've received about my hats, none of them were negative; most were of the "Nice hat" variety from passersby, and split evenly between men and women. However, while wearing the hat made for me by Cane Rod Maker one day a young gent who was starting a hat collection of his own stopped me to ask about it, and we had a nice discussion. He balked a bit when I commented on the cost of a quality hat versus the inexpensive types he'd seen locally, but relaxed when I explained the added cost would get him a hat that would last for decades rather than just a few years.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Last night a teenage boy was staring at my hat while waiting to be seated with his family. We were paying our bill and on our way out. As I passed by he told me that he liked my hat. He seemed nervous about giving the compliment. I was wearing my Akubra Silver Spur. It's a bit worn and stained with a large owl feather in the band. It is a cool looking hat. Probably not the best hat to wear to a restaurant though.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
Mind showing a pic Brian? I'm one of those guys who prefer to see a hat that has character like that, a new, or pristine hat just seems to me to scream 'lookie here!' Lol

Mind showing a pic Brian? I'm one of those guys who prefer to see a hat that has character like that, a new, or pristine hat just seems to me to scream 'lookie here!' Lol
+1. I like looking at new/pristine/well-cared-for hats as much as anyone else here, but I really enjoy seeing hats that have the character gained by years of use, and have the "scars" to prove it.

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
I admire a hat with character so I also would enjoy seeing that Silver Spur

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I'll get a pic up this next weekend. I can't do it on mobile. The feather is a turkey feather. Not sure why I typed owl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails