Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connery’s “Allan Quatermain” Hat

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
Gentlemen, I might be overly picky but this time perhaps I have found what I've been searching for...:)
L5608.jpg

I found this wool felt hat, loden, 2-3/4" brim complete with puggaree at British Sporting Ltd. out of New York (www.bsaltd.com. The chap I spoke with was very friendly and helpful, and the store has a very nice return policy just in case this doesn't work out. Let's hope for the best.
That’s a nice hat, but isn’t it a bit much for wool?

TomMason

New in Town
Helmers are good people - they have been oin the hat business for several generations. You'll note the old Stetson hat ads on the wall of the store in Portland - I traded them to Helmers for a great Biltmore straw.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Put your puggaree on this puppy!!

Akubra_Territory.jpg
450quartermain.jpg

This is the Akubra Territory on the left...nice khaki color with a 4 INCH BRIM!! With a little re-bashing, this might work nicely for the Connery-Quatermain hat. I've been eyeing this one but would definitely have to trim about an inch off the brim for it to work on me.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Lookin' good. Does anybody have any clues as to the bash on Connery's hat? I took a shot at replicating it and I think it turned out okay, at least on my homemade (with a 4.5 inch brim :eek: :eek: and yes, I'm going to have it cut down). I'd like to see what comes of this Territory though.

By the way Mike, email Hatsdirect and they can special-order you a cut down three-inch brim on that Territory.

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Or how about, at least in my case, obsessive. :eusa_doh: ;)

Hey, most of us here are obsessive. Otherwise we wouldn't own several of the same type of item that most of our "normal" friends think look exactly alike but that we can tell are completely different from the others! (did that make sense?)

Cheers!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Akubra_Territory.jpg
450quartermain.jpg

This is the Akubra Territory on the left...nice khaki color with a 4 INCH BRIM!! With a little re-bashing, this might work nicely for the Connery-Quatermain hat. I've been eyeing this one but would definitely have to trim about an inch off the brim for it to work on me.

Which is exactly what I've done! I should be taking some photographs of a couple of other things later in the week, and this is on the list as well.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hey Doc, do you (or anybody else out there) have the Akubra Territory in the KHAKI color? I'd like to know whether it's as deep green as it appears in the photos on this thread. If it is a lighter greenish khaki, I was thinking that a simple change of hatband would turn it into a great 'Out of Africa' facsimile. Any thoughts?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, I see that British Sporting is no longer offering that hat. Did you end up getting one? If not, what have you decided on since then? (Or is that covered in another thread somewhere?)

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Hey Doc, do you (or anybody else out there) have the Akubra Territory in the KHAKI color? I'd like to know whether it's as deep green as it appears in the photos on this thread. If it is a lighter greenish khaki, I was thinking that a simple change of hatband would turn it into a great 'Out of Africa' facsimile. Any thoughts?

Sorry Mike, only just noticed this. The khaki Territory was pretty darned green, which is why I went for the fawn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy