Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connery’s “Allan Quatermain” Hat

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Well, there are threads for the vest and the belt, how about the hat? Any ideas?

I know the one in the film was custom made by the costume department using felt form Italy.

Does anyone know of anything close?

Mike K.

One Too Many
No success here...yet
The closest I've come so far, at least in an off-the-rack hat, is the Akubra Military Slouch Hat (looks like you might be wearing one in your avatar Mojave). With the correct bashing of the crown, it should be close. There are also a number of Stetsons that could be converted to the Connery 'Quatermain' hat. Currently I feel like a feature in Raiders of the Lost Hat! My new Borsalino wide-brim 'Traveler' arrived today and will be shipped back tomorrow. Turns out their idea of taupe is actually dark brown and the sizing was off too. :mad: I'll be hunting around the internet tonight for a different lid.

Here's what I'm looking for folks, if you can help out any...:eek:fftopic:
I'm looking for a classic safari type hat - fedora style, turn-down brim 2.5-3 inches, low to medium high crown, light olive/sage/taupe color, pleated hat band/puggaree (already acquired). I'd prefer a slightly crushable hat so wool felt is not out of the question, neither is the softer fur felt. I take a size 58 (7 1/4). Anyone have an old Banana Republic safari hat they'd like to part with? Most of the hats I've found are either a tawny/fawn color or are simply too dark. Any suggestions? [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
Mike K. said:
Here's what I'm looking for folks, if you can help out any...:eek:fftopic:
I'm looking for a classic safari type hat - fedora style, turn-down brim 2.5-3 inches, low to medium high crown, light olive/sage/taupe color, pleated hat band/puggaree (already acquired). I'd prefer a slightly crushable hat so wool felt is not out of the question, neither is the softer fur felt. I take a size 58 (7 1/4). Anyone have an old Banana Republic safari hat they'd like to part with? Most of the hats I've found are either a tawny/fawn color or are simply too dark. Any suggestions? [huh]
Didn't Art F- make a Stewart Granger inspired Allan Quartermain hat? Something with a double brim? That looked like a great classic safari hat.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
No success here...yet
The closest I've come so far, at least in an off-the-rack hat, is the Akubra Military Slouch Hat (looks like you might be wearing one in your avatar Mojave).
Yes, this is my Australian slouch. After BT posted that link to the Baron's Hats The Hunter hat, I sent this off to Art to get it reblocked. He did a great job of it, and I just realized that I have never posted pics! Sorry, Art! I just took some, and as soon as I can upload them, I will. Here's a larger version of my avatar, in the meantime.

I replaced the puggaree with the WWI/early WWII wool hat band, to make it a little less conspicuous. This is the first hat I got from eBay, and Art thinks it is a fur blend of some kind. I'd like an Imperial Quality Akubra, but there are so many other things vying for my available funds!

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Hey Mike,

Another first timer here. I have a link to something that might interest you, http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/PROD/4060
I bought this hat last spring. It's called the Jackson, by Bailey, and I love it. It's a safari style, 3" brim, medium crown. I got the chestnut, which actually has a hint of sage to it. The band is leather coated with pheasant feathers, but you already said you have a ribbon. It's rabbit fur felt, nice and thick, but soft a pliable. The price is shown at $129.00, but I only paid $99.00 at a western shop in North West Florida. It's worth a look.

Brian

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
feltfan said:
Thanks. Nice hat. Nicer, of course, for Art's touch and that
interesting hat band.
Thanks! I've taken some liberties with the combination of hat band and bash. The bash was often unit specific, and I'm not sure which units had telescope crown with a pinch, like mine, or when that was adopted. I just like it! The original puggaree was just a little too much for wearing around casually, so I went with the wool band to tone it down a bit. Here's an original with the woolen band.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thanks for tips guys. I should've clarified earlier that I'm not after a double brim hat like the Stewart Granger. I have looked at that Bailey hat Interbak! It might be the one I end up going with. Mojave, that Akubra is awesome! It's a dead-ringer for the hat Val Kilmer wears in The Ghost and The Darkness.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Safari hat

Akubra makes a Safari model. It's a special order on most sites, but you should be able to find a picture. I've been happy with mine. It has lasted 15 years. I just changed the ribbon and bound the edge for a whole new (more fedora-y) look.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Ah! Now that's a compliment, knowing how many hats you must have looked at by now! Thanks!

Now if only I looked like Val Kilmer.
Not so much these days.

Are you going to wear that one to Boston? You'll look like my long lost brother from Kenya. ;)

It reminds me of an episode of "Monarch of the Glen," but that is a long story.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Not so much these days.

Are you going to wear that one to Boston? You'll look like my long lost brother from Kenya. ;)

It reminds me of an episode of "Monarch of the Glen," but that is a long story.

Shall I? I'd really look like a rube, eh? Somehow I don't think my desert gear is quite as appropriate in downtown Beantown! Even my OR with a cattleman's crease would look a bit out of place!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Gentlemen, I might be overly picky but this time perhaps I have found what I've been searching for...:)
L5608.jpg

I found this wool felt hat, loden, 2-3/4" brim complete with puggaree at British Sporting Ltd. out of New York (www.bsaltd.com). The chap I spoke with was very friendly and helpful, and the store has a very nice return policy just in case this doesn't work out. Let's hope for the best.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Gentlemen, I might be overly picky but this time perhaps I have found what I've been searching for...:)
L5608.jpg

I found this wool felt hat, loden, 2-3/4" brim complete with puggaree at British Sporting Ltd. out of New York (www.bsaltd.com). The chap I spoke with was very friendly and helpful, and the store has a very nice return policy just in case this doesn't work out. Let's hope for the best.
I like the look of that puggaree. It looks like it's a really lightweight cotton or silk, like Redford's puggaree in Out of Africa.

We'll be expecting a full review, of course, Mike!

(Oh, and I think picky is what this site is all about!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic