Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connundrum

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Why is it that the more hats you amass the fewer you perceive you have? Is it that for every hat you have time to really wear, examine etc. you see even more possibilities for future head wear styles?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I think the hatmakers ceased to use mercury in the felting process and substituted it with hat heroin. I get the jitters if I go too long with no hat.
Once I have worn all the heroin out of one then I need to score another to get my fix. All that rubbing, steaming, bashing, shaping, and denting releases the hat heroin.
Witness the jovial hatters like Major Moore and Art Fawcett. They got it so bad that they have to handle fresh felt almost daily.

carldelo

One Too Many
Zeno's hat paradox

This reminds me of the Ancient Greek paradox espoused by Zeno of Elea and paraphrased by me, to whit:
No matter how close together two hats may appear to be, there can always be found another hat that fits physically and/or aesthetically between them; this other hat must be acquired in order to guarantee an ideally smooth and continuous collection of hats covering the full spectrum of dimensions, colors and textures. However, because of the aforementioned divisibility property, no hat collection can ever be considered to be complete. The collection must therefore grow without limit.

Historically, collections by mere mortals are limited by monetary and spousal constraints, except perhaps for JTMarcus and that guy with 41 Works of Art....

Fugues

New in Town
I think it's definitely the mix n' match options, that make having a sense of completeness, difficult. I look at my fedora and say, " You would great with this color ribbon, or this one, or...", and that's just this lid. Imagine with all the shapes and sizes there is in the world...sheesh, makes my head(no pun intended) spin.

All in all, you are right: The more you see and get, the more possibilities. lol

tortswon

Practically Family
Solution

The trick is to keep buying hats until Alzheimer's sets in. Then they all look new again and you think that you have a lot of hats! Best, Sam

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Isn't it the male equivalent of a woman whipping open the door to the closet and stepping into a room almost the size of a two car garage with racks & racks of clothes and saying, "I simply have nothing to wear...."

Dreispitz

One Too Many
No need to lose one´s composure! You simply need a hat in black, one in a brownish colour, one in green, maybe, blue, oh yes, gray, gray mith black ribbon, a black derby, homburg, hats in the aforementioned colours with diferent edge treatments, makers, felts, from various decades, not necessarily contemporary ones, having sayed that, maybe a bespoke piece, in black, one in green ......

.... your spouse? Just tell her the alternative course of action is to biuld up a collection of combat boots. That works! :cheers1: :cool: :deadhorse :whip:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass