Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Continental typewriter

JEEP

Practically Family
Just bought this German continental model standard typewriter on a Danish auction-site:

525186558_Big.jpg

525186558_2_Big.jpg

The continental model standard started production in 1904 and was the first European made typewriter really being able to compete with the American produced typewriters dominating the European market at the time.

The continental model standard were produced by many diffrent factories, mainly in Germany - though I believe I have read about Russian models as well.

The continental model standard saw heavy use in conuntries on both sides of the conflict during both World wars.

Mine is produced on "Wanderer-Werke" in Chemnitz (in Saxony, Germany) - by far the most common manufacturer of this model. It most likely dates from around the early twenties to the mid thirties (these are not always easy to date).
The overall condition of the typewriter is good; mechanically it seems to be fully operational (though I need to take a closer look and test it in order to be sure), a few of the keys has faded and there are spots of rust here and there (though not much really). As soon as I get the time I will clean it and decide wether to do something about the rust (except from neutralizing it) or to leave it with the scratches time has brought to it (I am leaning heavily to the last option).

The pics shown above are the pics from the auction - more will follow as soon as I find the time to break out the digi-cam.

/Jakob

Jay

Practically Family
A very handsome machine. Is that a picture of the factory? I really like it, either way.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Looks to have a standard English pattern keyboard layout, with a couple of additions. No umlauted keys.

JEEP

Practically Family
Quite heavy indeed :)

The keyboard is a danish one, with ÆØÅ.

The distributer of this particular machine was Kontorbedaris-Gesellshaft, Hugo Flemming in Hamburg - most likely the main-supplier of continental typewriters to the Danish market at the time. Most Danish continental model standards I have seen, bears the name of the above mentioned distributer on the paper holder.

1920-30's continental model standard typewriters are a common sight at antique stores and fleamarkets in Denmark - but most of the time they are either in a terrible condition or the prices are way too high. The second most comon brand, ind Denmark, at the time seems to have been remington - but I am yet to find a nice one at a reasonable price.

/Jakob

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
What a gorgeous machine.

I started typing on my mother's manual typewriter and it's quite a different experience from a computer keyboard. I can't imagine typing on something like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy