Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

I suspect a Mossant carried in a Cavanagh store. Or even with a liner replaced by Cavanagh sometime after the hat was purchased.

A bit like my G. B. Borsalino with a Mallory liner.

Although, in this one, the grosgrain sweatband (odd, no?) seems to match the grosgrain liner, so my theory is probably hogwash. Clearly not made for the domestic French market.

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
I suspect a Mossant carried in a Cavanagh store. Or even with a liner replaced by Cavanagh sometime after the hat was purchased.

A bit like my G. B. Borsalino with a Mallory liner.

Although, in this one, the grosgrain sweatband (odd, no?) seems to match the grosgrain liner, so my theory is probably hogwash. Clearly not made for the domestic French market.

bk

Strange set up. Looks like something modern but the names make it even stranger. [huh] :eusa_doh:

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I note with interest that the new Mossants brought out by Herald and Heart here in the U.K. (who bought the name a few years ago now) also have grosgrain sweatbands; perhaps an homage to the original line? - I've never seen an original example before now to check.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The photo below is of the Chapeau Mossant stamp in the sweatband. Would this indicate that this hat was sold on the French domestic market? Could this hat possibly predate the Golden Age? Possibly 20's or 30's?

1449342920_f503178463.jpg

I would say the "Made in France" precludes intended sale in France. Then it would say "Fabriqué en Française", or something similar (my French is as rusty as ever).

Also, a golden era Mossant wold have stated Mossant Fréres, not Chapeau Mossant (at least in my experience). An example:

Mossant5.jpg

bk

carter

I'll Lock Up
So, this is probably a hat made in France by Chapeau Mossant for Cavanagh distribution in the US.

Does that seem to be the most likely provenance for this hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot