Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Gosh darn it....congratulations Mike, I was sitting on 120 quid, but alas, you wanted it more :eusa_clap

The single-breasted peak lapel with the double breasted waistcoat looks amazing. Please post photos of you in it soon!

mike

Call Me a Cab
the_imperialist said:
Gosh darn it....congratulations Mike, I was sitting on 120 quid, but alas, you wanted it more :eusa_clap

The single-breasted peak lapel with the double breasted waistcoat looks amazing. Please post photos of you in it soon!

You bet! I'm still 'buzzing' from the win! lol

p.s. - I am sorry to have outbid you, but at least it went to a Lounger...? :)

mike

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
Fantastic suit. Hope it's a good fit.

I spoke with the seller ahead of time. My one main concern would be if there was wear on the edge of the sleeves as I will need to bring them down. I'm told they look virtually unused! The skirt will be a bit short on me. But, I swear this is the exact cut that David Manners as Jonathan Harker wore during the last reel of Dracula. In that film, the back of the jacket falls shorter than a modern jacket would, but to my eye it is balanced by in part the size and shape of the lapels. His suit also has a double breasted vest... see where I'm going with this?! This is vampire killing dress! :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
FYI

This pic illustrates the telltale sign of an over-pressed French or faux cuff.

Picture17-1.png

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Don't over look the fact that most early 30s suit coats were cut shorter... I have a few and the sleeves are as long or just about as long as the length of the coat.

Enjoy it, it's a pretty suit! I can't wait to see the photos of it on!

anon`

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
Don't over look the fact that most early 30s suit coats were cut shorter... I have a few and the sleeves are as long or just about as long as the length of the coat.

And if you've the body for it, it's a fantastic way to have the jacket cut.

I'm jealous =/

mike

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:

Absolutely, I agree! Not only can you find examples of existing vintage pieces cut that way, but there's documented proof in films of how certain styles were worn. Obviously, things changed season by season and year by year, but even within that you could have alternate stylistic directions. In this case, it certainly looks like the spitting image of the wardrobe from Dracula. And to me, that doesn't suck. :p

Tomasso - I see what you're saying, I think it helps me understand how a faux cuff works in the first place... Hopefully it's not too far gone to work out :eusa_doh:

benstephens

Practically Family
I notice that the seller with that lovely single breasted suit has a couple more for sale now. Interesting they are all in the same size. I wonder if they are all from the same person.

Very rare indeed if they are.

Kindest

Ben

mike

Call Me a Cab
I received it! It's dated Oct 17, 1931 created by William Holmes & Sons in Stoke-on-Trent for an R. Hancock.... and if I may level with you.... IT IS THE DOG'S BOLLOCKS! :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

benstephens

Practically Family
Wow, that is a real find. Worth every penny and more. Will be nice to have some details. Does the jacket have extra padding under the arms? (Edited, I can see the picture shows an inside pocket on the waistcoat!)

Well done.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic