Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooper Milspec A2 (AAF wannabe)

mclmm

New in Town
Hi there. This is a bit of a case of shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, as I just bought quite a cheap one off of OFAS but I'm wondering about people's opinions of the Cooper Milspec (orange label) A2. I have seen this model advertised as the "Raptor". Are there any issues (apart from authenticity) that I should be aware of?

How do they hold up under hard use? This will be my daily wearer and aside from normal combat wear to and from the office, it will see some outdoor use on those autumn hiking trips into the Snowy Mountains and Brindabella National Park.

I've been a fan of the A2 type since I was a kid, but living in a tropical climate, I haven't been able to justify the expense on something I would never wear. But now, with a pending move down south to Australia's Dark Heart (Canberra), I splashed out and bought this old Cooper.

I'll post some pics soon, but in the meantime, here are some minor mods I have made to the jacket - to make me feel better while I save up for a Goodwear masterpiece (ETA 18 months at this rate):

1. Removed the orange Cooper label (stored inside one of the pockets in case of resale)

2. Added a colour AAF decal to the shoulder sleeve (very accurate repro - I liked them so much I bought two)

3. Stenciled my name inside the Jacket under the label

4. Added an OD gutted 550 paracord zipper pull as an expedient measure

5. Added a white AAF line art decal to the lining in place of the AAF stamp (I know, but hey, I like it)

Here are planned mods:

1. leather lace zipper pull (or a bomb tag if I can find one)

2. Replace the Cooper coat hanger loop with a box-stitched leather strip as per the originals

3. Have the regulation size stamped leather name tag strip sewn to the left breast of the jacket - mine is a great repro sourced off of OFAS.

4. Source a WW2 repro Cooper Sportswear contract A2 label for the lining (any possible sources for one of these appreciated)

5. Source a repro Talon zipper for later replacement

6. Add an instection stamp to the lining

I know you can't polish a you-know-what, but I'm giving it a try. So far it's turned out rather well.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
when is a GTO not a Duesenberg?

hi, i'll premise with saying i'm a fan of the actual milspec 80s to current coopers, avirexes, spiewaks and sons, even uswings and sporty's, etc...in other words, i like the more modern post ww2 a-2s while respecting they are NoT ww2 a-2s in design, and generally don't try to be...

i did say milspec, which means i'm not talking about side-entry pockets and snap vs. hook collar closures...i like the real deal, but do like the slightly modernized design of the 80s+ milspec a-2s...so...

that said, my advice would not to mix types...your cooper a-2 sounds like the milspec orange label which is collectable in it's own right, though it is defnitely not a ww2 jacket, but it's roots are clearly in the ww2 a-2...i'd enjoy it for that rather than doing a makeover that leaves you wanting on both ends of the candle...just plan on eventually getting a real ww2 a-2 if you have the bux, or get a respectable replica, again, if you have the bux...but i wouldn't try and make your GTO over into a Duesenberg...or whatever...i know a lot of people out here in california who took jaguars and dropped a chevy 350 V-8 in them...it does kickass, but it is neither here nor there...

i'd keep the cooper orange label as is and appreciate it for what it is, then truly get an earlier model, or a-2 that seeks or is a ww2 style...

of course, it's your jacket, and you seem to have fun doing what you're doing to it...but that's my take...as for the raptor, i do believe that is a more modern cooper a-2 style, with a more normal cut i believe (could be wrong), but the orange label coopers are the first ones cooper made in the 80s and kind of like the 64 1/2 mustang...to be appreciated on it's own terms

johnnyjohnny

mclmm

New in Town
Thanks for the reply johnnyjohnny,

Here's some photos of the jacket as purchased (from the OFAS listing) and before my mods:

0a2last_008.jpg

0a2last_010.jpg

a2cooper_018.jpg

cooper_015.jpg

I'll try to get some "After" pics soon.

I get your point re: the jacket being respected for what it is and I agree. However, due to my job, a modern jacket with a WWII "feel" is what I'm after as a type of marketing tool, but as with all of my military style clothing, if it 'aint issue or at least built to mil-specs then I'm not interested. This little baby fits the bill nicely.

As an aside, I saw some of the new issue A2s the other day and was rather appalled. Looked really thin, had strange little pen pockets and I swear I thought I saw a seam across the back.

Cheers

EDIT: I just Googled the name that was written on the jacket in magic marker...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-70290224.html

Bad Ju Ju. The jacket came from California too.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Valine SoLution

wow, with a name like valine ulmer, it's unlikely this jacket belonged to anyone other than this rather 'fascinating' character...what he thought allegedly walking into a bank with eXplosives (or faux explosives)strapped to his chest was a solution to is anyone's guess...but you got his a-2...now that is a one-of-a-kind cooper jacket!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925