Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooper Sportswear 70s style jackets - Think I found a keeper

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
If you've seen any of my recent threads you know I've been looking for a '70s style leather car coat. As far as Ebay, the colors are what bothered me the most. I bought two Cooper jackets for a total of $50. I'm not sure how much they cost back in the day but they seem to be mid-grade jackets. The first one pictured fooled me color-wise. I think the lapels are too big as well. I normally wear a 44L and this fits fine in length however the waist is too big.
DSC03294.jpg

Coopers012.jpg

DSC03306.jpg

The second coat fits like it was made for me except the sleeves are about 1.5" too short. So I'm guessing it is a 42R. There is about an inch of extra leather folded into the sleeve but I'm not sure a tailor can work with that. I think I'll be able to live with this though. The tag says "Cabretta" which seems quite similar to the goatskin of my G&B A-2, just softer.
Coopers011.jpg

Coopers009.jpg

Coopers010.jpg

CBoNTNCWkKGrHqJgwEzw56vUGeBNIfE1tuTg0_3.jpg

I didn't know what a keyhole button was until I saw the term on Aero's site. Both of these coats have keyhole button slots. It's also interesting to see how coats were cut differently back then. The way the shoulders and sleeves are patterned is quite different than today. Much more form fitting.

I know Cooper has made A-2s for a long time but does anyone know anything about these styles in Cooper's history?

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Classic jacket, non hipster wear. In my day it was worn by the hard guys and O.G's I have a couple in my closet. Good for fall and early winter.

Worf

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one as well. I was in the Teamsters back in the day in N.J.. and those jackets were de rigueur, so to speak. After all, look where they were made -- in Newark! A guy named Byrne was once governor and he said in a speech, "Mafia, stay the hell out of N.J!" To which the reply was, "But we live here!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran