Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooper "Water Repellent" Goatskin?

AARP

Familiar Face
Like many new leather jackets, Cooper says that their jackets are water repellent. Does this mean that they are safe to wear in the rain or will they get stiff like regular leather jackets?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I've read some places that goatskin is "naturally" water repellent.

A lot depends on how any leather is tanned/finished. I have chrome tanned horsehides that repel water fairly well at first, altho they will get saturated after awhile.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Goatskin generally retains its flexibility even after it's been soaked through - its one of the main reasons that that the military chose it for use in flight jackets, along with its high tear-resistance and remarkable tough-yet-supple quality. Both of my G&B goatskin jackets (a Civil A-2 from 2001 and a Historical M-422A from 2005) have been through plenty of rain and snow, and it's never changed the character of the hide.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Good day,

From my understanding goatskin is more ‘water repellant’ than other skins due its specific skin pores. Though I have no scientific proof of this.

Although what does ‘water repellant’ really mean? Don’t think I have ever seen water been repelled from anything. Maybe it means less absorbent?

I would say any leather jacket is only as resistant to water as the cuffs, zips collar opening allow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou