Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mippo

New in Town
I read that water repellent products seal the leather's pores. Since the leather's pores are closed it can not breathe and will cause dry rot. This was said by Gail on the Schott forum. If I'm going to buy a leather conditioner should I avoid products that say waterproof, weatherproof, water repellent, etc. in their description?

None of that has been proven and frankly, I believe it's nonsense. 80% of leather jackets out there are freaking coated in plastic and they never rot. Dry rot has everything to do with the climate & how you store the jacket but leather conditioners won't do all that much to (or for) leather.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMO it depends on the leather. Some leather like the bookbinder leather came already coated with pores sealed like Monitor said. Some like the CXL came with lots of oil pressed into it that adding a coat is going to significantly altered characteristic of the leather.
I'd not apply water repellent conditioner on vintage leather (over 50 y.o.) though because you need to be able to apply oil and lotion quite frequently. Beside, if you want to cover the pores e.g. of your shoes, wax that can be easily cleaned off would be a much better choice than whatever they put in the water repellent stuffs.

Trickster

New in Town
Conditioner, by definition, penetrates into the leather unless blocked by a coating.

Over conditioning by soaking in oil, or using an oil that can break down the leather fibers, is to be avoided.

That being said, Leather is amazingly forgiving to our mistakes.

Peacoat

Bartender
I read that water repellent products seal the leather's pores. Since the leather's pores are closed it can not breathe and will cause dry rot. This was said by Gail on the Schott forum. If I'm going to buy a leather conditioner should I avoid products that say waterproof, weatherproof, water repellent, etc. in their description?
It must have been a while back when Gail said that as, unfortunately, she has been dead for several years now.

Gail was a real asset to Schott as she had an extensive knowledge about the Schott catalog, both past and present, but her expertise didn't extend beyond that area. I would be leery of anything she said about the qualities of leather jackets.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Within the past few years, after meeting with Dena Hamilton in person at her shop, I have been slowly switching over to Urad products for moisturizing the leather (Tenderly) and for more general conditioning of jackets (normal Urad). And I only use this on jackets that are demonstrably dry to the touch. I am not looking for water-proofing, in fact, if you read in these forums, many of us intentionally get our jackets wet then wear them dry to help break in, develop graining and character.

Back in the 1980's and early 1990's. Wison's Leather was a large marketer of rather inexpensive, Mall-type leather jackets. They would push you to buy an aerosol can of "waterproofing spray" and usually would spray down your new jacket right there in the store. I have no idea what all was in the "spray" but it seemed even at the time to me as a marketing ploy to get you to spend $10 more on a can of the stuff, and they would tell you to re-spray it every few months. I suspect that product did more harm than good overall. I sure would not use it today.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Within the past few years, after meeting with Dena Hamilton in person at her shop, I have been slowly switching over to Urad products for moisturizing the leather (Tenderly) and for more general conditioning of jackets (normal Urad). And I only use this on jackets that are demonstrably dry to the touch. I am not looking for water-proofing, in fact, if you read in these forums, many of us intentionally get our jackets wet then wear them dry to help break in, develop graining and character.

Back in the 1980's and early 1990's. Wison's Leather was a large marketer of rather inexpensive, Mall-type leather jackets. They would push you to buy an aerosol can of "waterproofing spray" and usually would spray down your new jacket right there in the store. I have no idea what all was in the "spray" but it seemed even at the time to me as a marketing ploy to get you to spend $10 more on a can of the stuff, and they would tell you to re-spray it every few months. I suspect that product did more harm than good overall. I sure would not use it today.
That reminds me I bought a can of "liner deodoriser" spray from Schott. May have to try that out on a jacket see how it goes.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Wison's Leather was a large marketer of rather inexpensive, Mall-type leather jackets.

I think Wilson's was only in shopping malls, or mass retail developments. Today, they're online. And still selling lower priced leather jackets, for people who are less picky about quality. Not everyone is focused on getting "the best". For many, a Wilson's jacket is a fashion item, which they are not planning on owning for a lifetime.

At different times, their quality was both up and down. There were some items that were better. For most Americans, the mall is where you go to buy things. For some, the world of the internet allows for mail order from a dozen or so catalog sellers. A very small percentage of Americans will buy a leather jacket at a motorcycle shop. An even smaller percentage of motorcycle riders will buy the jacket with the Harley Davidson brand logo, from a dealership. Very, very few Americans will buy from a famous designer's boutique, as most of us don't live in Beverly Hills. 1 out of tens of thousands will be in a trade where leather jackets are issued as part of the work wear uniform. And as members of this forum know, there are probably a dozen or so leather crafters across The USA who custom tailor.

I read that water repellent products seal the leather's pores. Since the leather's pores are closed it can not breathe and will cause dry rot.

Maybe leather care products from 50 or 100 years ago. I don't think that's a problem with modern waxes, oils, and such. I think that you can safely use any modern product without worry.

1692682436587-png.541833
1692681853296.png
1692683078222.png
1692682358960.png
1692682727441.png

1692682812540-png.541836

an aerosol can of "waterproofing spray" and usually would spray down your new jacket right there in the store

It was silicone. Silicone spray could be sparingly applied to all types of leather and suede.

Right or wrong, I use mink oil. The product which is sold as "mink oil", also has silicone.

1692681440102.png
1692681488414.png
1692681561986.png

Attachments

• 1692682436587.png
    1692682436587.png
    589.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 1692682812540.png
    1692682812540.png
    597.8 KB · Views: 190

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think nothing will stay on top of leather permanently, unless a thick enamel coat like patent leather glossy coating, so spray whatever water repellent stuff, it will stay on the surface for awhile and then it will rubbed off from wear and wind or whatever, so I won't over think it really.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Odd that a leather protectant would cause the leather to rot.

After a lifetime of owning leather...... jackets, gloves, shoes..... I've never seen leather rot. Not to say that I'm doing anything right.

There are a lot of products. Think about what they are, and what they do. Most of the products are wax, oil, silicone, lanolin, or a mixture. The blends and recipes are proprietary, but I have never heard of any modern products causing leather to rot.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I had this exact question a few weeks ago. In the end, I said screw it, and applied some to my naked cowhide jacket. So far doesn’t seem to have caused any issues (and the way I see it is waterproofing conditioner slowly wears off anyway, so none of the effects will be permanent)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
@iknowleather - what are your thoughts on this Dena, you've likely seen/handled 3x more jackets, than all of us.

I would agree with Fifty150 - it would be odd that a product designed to protect would end up damaging, but that's how "research" and the product testing field has to work in daily. Unintended consequences, perhaps.

iknowleather

Vendor
Brant,
So sorry for such a delayed response!! I have been so busy I have forgotten to check in with everyone here at FL. So many of you have sent your jackets - I really appreciate all of your support!!!
As for the answer about waterproofing being a drying agent, I honestly don't know the answer. I do know it should wear off if you're wearing your jacket on a fairly regular basis. So my thoughts are that if you are going to be exposed to rain or snow for some time, I would definitely use Sahara by Urad. If you were thinking to apply it for long term protection of an item for display or to be closeted, I would refrain. Of course if that were the case you probably wouldn't be thinking of using it anyway.
Also, I feel safe spraying it on my collars to keep them from absorbing oil there, or on suede or nubuck to help prevent dirt or stain absorption and make it easier to clean as well. I haven't noticed any problems with my oldest suede jackets or jacket collars.
Since there is such a difference in care products for moisture, I would hesitate to use anything other than Sahara, if only because it's made by Urad, and I trust them.
Hope this helps!
Dena

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner