Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Pecards is good stuff. It doesn't work on all leather, but when it does, it's great. I don't use it a lot but sometimes the jacket really benefits from it. Like my old LL which must've been sitting in some basement for 30 years or so. It soaked the stuff right up. Applying the second coat was a mistake. It's all gone by now but it took weeks, so... But yeah, the jacket is much healthier after the treatment so I guess it doesn't hurt.

I have this jacket that I wore quite a lot, it's a leather Levi's Type-3 that was my super foul weather jacket, and the leather on the collar first dried up and then started cracking. But ever since I started applying leather conditioner to the area, it stopped and is as good as the rest of the jacket.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
TREEMANVaseline is a petroleum product that I would not put on leather.
Pecards is petroleum too. It's pH neutral. The petroleum constituents are minuscule.
Leather is subjected to plenty of non-natural chemicals in the tanning process, so insisting on only natural treatments later seems a bit like putting on a condom after sex. But I totally appreciate that using a high quality leather treatment on an old, tired leather jacket will 'revive' it and extend its life.

JVanBro

Familiar Face
In recent months I have come across three jackets, two leather and one horse that were stiff and practically crunchy. I can certainly see the necessity of cleaning and conditioning for them. But a jacket that is soft and pliable I don't think needs anything. However if I needed something to freshen up a jacket with smells or something I'd rather use Pecards or similar rather than a saddle soap and have white film afterwards.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how to remove grease from inside, fuzzy side of the leather? I accidentally got some Pecards on the wind flap and it just doesn't go away... I was thinking of using WD-40 on it but I don't know if that's a smart idea. Any suggestions?

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Schott has a NEW heavy HH MC jacket on there website...........$1400........check it out!!

Last edited:
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/irving-limited-edition.htm?catID=21

I don't particularly care for black hardware but it does look very nice. Cool leather. I would consider it. Provided I had the funds of course. Which I don't. But yeah, I would much rather get this jacket from Schott than from any other maker, same as I would get the Highwayman from Aero and J-24 from RMC. It's actually so awesome they've went the complete opposite with such heavy leather for this jacket, but I guess people that complained about them becoming a fashion brand (because makers of vintage inspired clothes in a time when vintage inspired clothes is in fashion can apparently be something other than fashion brands) will find something else to dislike upon. . .

The other one is kinda meh. Sunset.
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/sunset-limited-edition.htm?catID=21

What hurts jackets like these, IMO, is the high price for what seems to be off the rack sizing. Not even a listing of sleeve or body length, that can be important for actual MC riders. Otherwise, customers are paying premium for the Schott limited addition hide (CXL) without the benefit of other valued upgrades usually offered at those price points or less.
HD.

You're right HD but still, they're going for that one fellow that will put on the jacket in one of the fancy NY stores and it will fit. Or he won't care. I definitely wouldn't pay a grand and a half for a jacket that didn't fit me right - but if it did and I had the cash... Why not? I mean, if I was after the classically styled Perfecto and if this Schott worked, there's very little the other makers could offer in terms of value that would make the wait time worthwhile.

But I'm not as dead set on period correct hardware, etc. Depends who's buying the jacket, really. But I think it's good.

I'm pretty sure this jacket based on the 519 or the PER2 so it should be 27" in length.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Too bad they don't have this Heavy HH as an option in there other HH jackets. I'ed love to go down to there NY store just to check out the HH itself. The jacket wouldn't be something I be interested in basically for the same reasons as stated above.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know how to remove grease from inside, fuzzy side of the leather? I accidentally got some Pecards on the wind flap and it just doesn't go away... I was thinking of using WD-40 on it but I don't know if that's a smart idea. Any suggestions?

suede & nubuck cleaner

Last edited:

Phillips88

Familiar Face
When it comes to the leather treatment discussion, I'm not sure why treating a leather jacket occasionally is being talked about as a BAD thing! It's leather! It's skin! That would be like a Neutrogena or some kind of lotion commercial coming on TV and the lady saying "I'm 50 years old, worked outside, laid in the sun my whole life, and iv never used any type of conditioning lotion or protective products on me....and look how good I look!" Of course not cause they'd probably look pretty rough! Think about it!

Phillips88

Familiar Face
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/irving-limited-edition.htm?catID=21

I don't particularly care for black hardware but it does look very nice. Cool leather. I would consider it. Provided I had the funds of course. Which I don't. But yeah, I would much rather get this jacket from Schott than from any other maker, same as I would get the Highwayman from Aero and J-24 from RMC. It's actually so awesome they've went the complete opposite with such heavy leather for this jacket, but I guess people that complained about them becoming a fashion brand (because makers of vintage inspired clothes in a time when vintage inspired clothes is in fashion can apparently be something other than fashion brands) will find something else to dislike upon. . .

The other one is kinda meh. Sunset.
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/sunset-limited-edition.htm?catID=21

It's nice no doubt but I too don't care for the black hardware as much as the classic nickel.

Not to mention unless I just had money to blow, I'm not seeing $1500 here especially when compared to my $800 618 in horse that's just as nice and half the price

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
When it comes to the leather treatment discussion, I'm not sure why treating a leather jacket occasionally is being talked about as a BAD thing! It's leather! It's skin! That would be like a Neutrogena or some kind of lotion commercial coming on TV and the lady saying "I'm 50 years old, worked outside, laid in the sun my whole life, and iv never used any type of conditioning lotion or protective products on me....and look how good I look!" Of course not cause they'd probably look pretty rough! Think about it!
depending on how you want the jacket to look, if you want to get that fading and set in creases then you should let the jacket alone, and if you like to keep the jacket looks well cared, not faded, not overly wrinkled, then condition it more.

JVanBro

Familiar Face
What about removing scratches and other unwanted marks? Is there something that has worked effectively for anyone?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

David Hilliard

New in Town
Ken didn't take a stampede of returning jackets. He clearly asked for detailed up-close pictures of jackets so he could determine if they were a mixture of HH and steer or not. If his knowledgeable decision was that it indeed turned out a mismatch by the previous manager (while Ken was retired) he would consider a refund or remake. Coming out of retirement he found a deliberate mess to deal with. He took the honest way out rather than the cheaper easier way of suggesting that some curious customers were imagining things.
After confronting Will ( appointed manager ), Will's attitude was mainly 'So What'. Shortly after that his house was raided because of stolen Aero goods. Much more than dishonestly selling something that was not as advertised, which was bad enough.
HD
Funny thing about Schott, I ordered a 596 the other day, I noticed that the inside label said Perfecto. It is advertised as a Rancher. Anyway I contacted Denise and she said No, it says Rancher, to which I sent her a picture of the jacket and it clearly says Perfecto.
Her reply was baffling. She said Oh, sometimes they run out of labels and use whatever is to hand, like WTF. Isn’t that like the factory running out of Pea labels and just stick Beans on instead. Lol.
like, what the hell am I buying here.
Worst reply ever. As confusing as the Leather debate.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't "find you a fifty year old unfinished/naked cowhide" jacket, but I can tell you about a 26 year old one... I got a Schott naked cowhide jacket in 1985 when I lived in Nome, Alaska. It saw a LOT of harsh weather: cold, snow, rain, dust - my quad was my only transportation for several years. After a few years, my brother bought the jacket right off my back while I was visiting him in San Diego, and wore it in that dry climate for a few years. Then, he too, moved to Nome and wore it in the rough Alaska weather for 15 years. Then he, once again, followed me down to the Oregon coast and wore it in our perpetual rain, mist and fog for a few more years before passing it on to his son, who promptly lost it :(

But the bottom line is that that naked cowhide was as soft and supple as the day I bought it. It had folds, creases and character, and the collar was permanently shaped to my brother's neck, but there was not even a hint of dryness or stiffness. Thick, luxurious leather. Good stuff.

Bob

It was this one (the collar is detachable):

184smbr.jpg

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/a-2-naked-cowhide-leather-flight.htm?catID=46
Now we finally see a jacket truly put to the test I like to hear stories like this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21