Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correspondence - Find a Pen Pal

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
PrettySquareGal said:
And if you write letters, don't make heart shaped dots on top of your "i"s.

"A Circle, a Heart, a Smiling Guy; So Many Ways To Dot the 'i.'"

- From Letterman's Top Ten list of term papers by Brooke Shields.

Rosie

One Too Many
scotrace said:
"A Circle, a Heart, a Smiling Guy; So Many Ways To Dot the 'i.'"

- From Letterman's Top Ten list of term papers by Brooke Shields.

lol

I think that's a stage most girls go through in grade school when we try to find "our" personal handwriting. Unfortunately, I have to look at that everyday (the girl's in my class are at that stage) and I did it as a child :eek: .

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
First two letters written

Hi,

just wanted to let everyone know the first two letters are finished and will be posted tomorrow morning (I did PM the recipients). :)

Sorry to those who´ll have to wait another day or two, till their letters go out, but I´ve got a terrible headache and the heat is just awful tonight. :eusa_doh:
I hate summer. :D

Regards, A.

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Penpals...

I'd add my name to the list but unfortunately I have very poor penmanship...almost didn't graduate from High School early because of it. (And over the years it has not gotten any better.)

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Like the idea a lot! How would you go about it,
should somebody play the hat?lol
Maybe we can come up with something for those
who are yet to join the circle.

Regards, A.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
But what if we were to randomize it?
Draw names out of a hat so to speak. :rolleyes:
Would make for some interesting correspondence,...no? :)

Strider

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
Strider, but you don't have to go out and get fancy paper or anything....hope the rest of you guys agree with me on this, but, I'd hate for it to turn out to be some kind of contest of who has the best letter supplies! This will be fun..and hopefully kept that way!

:eusa_clap

I agree with ya, I'd hate to see it turn into that, too. This being the case, then count me in. :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Who's in

Here are a list of names of fellow lounger's who are interested in being pen pals...
Polyhistor
Lady Day
Miss Neecerie
Scotrace
Rosie
Mysterygal
Irena
Samsa
Strider
Magneto
Raiderrecuer

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
This could work a couple of different ways...
1. we look at the list of people interested, and see who we would like to pen pal, pm them, exchange addresses. (And can be as many people as you would like)
2. Someone can pair up people
If anyone has anymore ideas please let me know!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to write a letter to someone...my handwriting is appalling these days, but perhaps if I practise more!! I am quite slow at doing it though, my friend and I used to write each other silly "Pride and Prejudice" style letters and it took me ages to reply. But if anyone wants to be my pen pal, that would be cool!

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
This could work a couple of different ways...
1. we look at the list of people interested, and see who we would like to pen pal, pm them, exchange addresses. (And can be as many people as you would like)
2. Someone can pair up people
If anyone has anymore ideas please let me know!

We could have a sticky thread, where everyone who wants to join in makes only one post, raising their hand, metaphorically speaking..."The FL Mailing List" or something like that.

Pairing up people sounds fun as well, I´d be willing to organize that, but I´m unsure as by which criteria to form the pairs...first come, first serve (i.e. the first two to contact me make a pair and so on)? Any suggestions?

Regards, A.

Rosie

One Too Many
This *would* be a good idea but, it's kind of weird too. Like, it really isn't that random. If we were literally pulling names out of a hat, that's random but this way, it's awkward. What criteria would be used to match folks up? [huh] I kind of just exchanged addresses with those who contacted me or I contacted.

Hope I'm not sounding too negative, it is a good idea but....

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Rosie said:
This *would* be a good idea but, it's kind of weird too. Like, it really isn't that random. If we were literally pulling names out of a hat, that's random but this way, it's awkward. What criteria would be used to match folks up? [huh] I kind of just exchanged addresses with those who contacted me or I contacted.

I hear you, Rosie. The only element of randomness would be the one who forms the pairs...

Regards, A.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Reports From The Wilderness

Fleur De Guerre said:
But if anyone wants to be my pen pal, that would be cool!

I'm not sure I could write anything which you would not find numbingly dull, but I would be pleased to risk your poor penmanship.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Well, it seems people are somewhat pairing up naturally on their own (amazing how difficult this is getting!) why don't we just do this, we know who wants a penpal..pm them and exchange addy's. Anyone who needs a pen pal and wants to get pm'ed, post letting us know.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
Well, it seems people are somewhat pairing up naturally on their own (amazing how difficult this is getting!) why don't we just do this, we know who wants a penpal..pm them and exchange addy's. Anyone who needs a pen pal and wants to get pm'ed, post letting us know.

I´m fine with that! :D

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm in ...

I'm in if anyone wants to exchange addresses.

I am in a living history group (18th century frontier) that had several members who exchanged correspondence for a couple of years using laid paper, quill and ink, and even wax seals on the letters. We corresponded about contemporary topics, but in an "18th century context". It was an interesting exercise, and went a long way in increasing our understanding about social history.

Short of the aforementioned exercise, I don't know when I received a real hand written letter (and must confess, don't know when the last time I sent one). I think this would be fun.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Okay,...

Maybe my idea was sort of goofy. :p lol
But I can't help it, look at this avatar!
But I think a little randomness is just forming here on it's own.
So the first person that's game PMs me their address and gets a real paper letter from yours truly? Then maybe I will PM someone on the list at random and it's their turn to write a few lines to me? This seems to be the way it's headed.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
There is no criteria.

Rosie said:

Let's say that if I were the "hat" so to speak, I would close my eyes, scroll up and down the list of participants for a few seconds and the first name my cursor lands on is in. Then I do this again to form a pair. And so on,...total randomness gauranteed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW