Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

corsets for men?

armod

Familiar Face
do they exist in a classic sense?

there are a bunch of modern fashion variants but they're more for show than deliberate practical purposes.

I'm always conscious of my posture (comes from my gymnastic days) and think a corset would straighten out my back and fix up my hunch.

were they made?
who still makes them?
how did the designs differ from the women's corsets?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
The only reference I've ever heard to a man wearing a corset involved him telling his buddies that he's worn one ever since his wife found it in the glove compartment of his car. :eusa_doh:

Lee

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Corset of the Day! Friday, March 27th, 2009

armod said:
do they exist in a classic sense?

there are a bunch of modern fashion variants but they're more for show than deliberate practical purposes.

I'm always conscious of my posture (comes from my gymnastic days) and think a corset would straighten out my back and fix up my hunch.

were they made?
who still makes them?
how did the designs differ from the women's corsets?

3359845105_6219925bf0.jpg

Ready to Wear Waist Cincher (Available for Men and Ladies) in a chic Golden Dragon Silk Brocade on the front, and a solid Black Silk Duchess on the back side.($275) Add Versatility! Ask about pockets! (Pockets $20 per pair)

And remember! All corsets of the day are $25 off all orders for that specific corset (as built to order or ready to wear) on the day it's featured! So be sure to place that order today!

Unsure of your size? Call us!
Dark Garden
321 Linden St.
San Francisco, CA
415-431-7684
www.darkgarden.com

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I can't for the life of me recall the name of the thing - girdle? corset? cincher? - but it was a little bitty black & white ad in the back of a Life (Look?) magazine, ca. 1937-'40. It showed a potbellied man in a suit, looking all put out, and then an...uh...appliance, and then the same man, trim-looking and beaming happily.

I didn't even know there were potbellies in the depression years. I guess if you had 10¢ to blow on a picture magazine, you were part of the overfed plutocracy.

Edward

Bartender
Corsets I know something about, largely due to my long years in the Rocky Horror community. Of the two biggest names in UK corsetry, Axfords (the other is Vollers) currently offer two models for gentlemen. Primarily the purpose is to offer a trimmer waistline and improved posture, and men's corsets will, of course, be a somewhat different shape to those intended for ladies. From experience i can tell you there's nothing quite like a corset for improving one's figure. That said, it would be a bad idea to wear one on a daily basis - with constant wear, the body becomes dependent and muscle definition etc can be lost.

http://www.axfords.co.uk/mens.html

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Weren't they called a "Truss"

I went to a marvelous party,
Elise made an entrance with May
You'd never have guessed
From her fisherman's vest
That her bust had been whittled away.
Poor Lulu got fried on Chianti
And talked about esprit de corps.
Maurice made a couple of passes at Gus
And Freddie, who hates any kind of a fuss,

Did half the Big Apple and twisted his truss,
I couldn't have liked it more.

Noel Coward - "I went to a marvellous party"

celtic

A-List Customer
CSI had an episode with a man who wore corsets to emulate his civil war relatives.

"Further investigation reveals that he wore a wasp corset, as was fashionable with gentlemen during the Civil War."

Well, everyone knows you can believe everything you see on TV....so I would do my own research before calling that a fact....

anywho, in that episode they did some research and to my surprise showed an actual picture of Fakir Musafar, one of the huge influences on modern day body modification.

here is the photo (famous in the body mod community):

musafar_08_bg.jpg

Fakir is quite an interesting character. if you aren't squeamish, do a google search on him...

Highlander

A-List Customer
Shortbow, I agree that body distortion stuff kinda freaks me out. Sort of like when I saw the book "CREMASTER V" about a movie made by Mathew Barney... Talk about night mares... OH MY GOD... This stuff has the same visual impact on me.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
hernia

BinkieBaumont said:
Weren't they called a "Truss"

I went to a marvelous party,
Elise made an entrance with May
You'd never have guessed
From her fisherman's vest
That her bust had been whittled away.
Poor Lulu got fried on Chianti
And talked about esprit de corps.
Maurice made a couple of passes at Gus
And Freddie, who hates any kind of a fuss,

Did half the Big Apple and twisted his truss,
I couldn't have liked it more.

Noel Coward - "I went to a marvellous party"

A corset is for the waist.
A truss is for the groin & waist, as it would be for supporting a hernia.

They say Shatner wore a girdle in the `60s to smooth out the star gut.
I have seen some vintage pants with large waistbands fitted with sturdy elastic to perform like a girdle.
Heres a site on girdles:
http://www.guysingirdles.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy