Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could This Be the new Air Force Dress Uniform???

Weston

A-List Customer
BTW, these are just special uniforms for the top brass - they won't be adopted widespread. I googled the heck out of it out of concern for my paycheck. :)

p51

One Too Many
They should go back to the pinks and greens, but we all know that would never happen...
I swear the USAF has been a "uniform of the month club" since the 50s. My Dad was issued those ridiculous British "bush jacket" uniforms in the late 50s, I still have one of his jackets, he said people laughed at airmen wearing them.
As for these eyesores of uniforms, let's see these again:
CMSGTAFCOSUniforms.jpg

Now, where have I recently seen this? :confused: Oh yeah, on Sci-Fi a few years back!
capofbsgblues.jpg

Wow, looks a lot like the recent Battlestar Galactica uniform, don't it?

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
If it is not broken, don't fix it. I am sure that someone received an award or an outstanding evaluation for coming up with a "new" idea and pushing it forward.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like something general Patton could have designed...lol

Wrong, Patton had a sense of history and a certain amount of taste (gold helmet not withstanding). At least the uniform GSP invented was the same color as motor oil and was FOR tank crewmen. I could see Pinks and Greens, a decent USAF Blue version of the Post WW1 uniforms, but those look like the bad guys from a Star Trek Remake.

I'm sorry, but the whole concept of the Navy and USAF wearing camouflage is sort of silly. It's only so the gravy stains from lunch don't show. Jeez. They're WORK uniforms, they ain't supposed to be purdy. A creased set of battle dress (any era) is like putting a ditch digger in white tie and tails, a complete waste of dry-cleaning.

Later

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
These high-collared tunics show ZERO sense of history for the service. During WWI, pilots in the American Expeditionary Force HATED "patrol collar" tunics because the wool would irritate the skin of their necks as they constantly turned their heads to scan for enemy aeroplanes. The story goes, they would have service jackets made that we're cut like British officers' tunics, with an open collar and lapels.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Pinks maybe, but greens absolutely not; horizon blues are crucial to the Air Force's identity as a separate branch of service. Our generation sees Air Force blue in a completely different context than those who were the first to proudly wear it.

To Air Force personnel of my grandfather's generation (1937-1967, retired as a full Col.), distinct uniforms for a separate service represented fereedom from a branch (the Army) that didn't understand the nature of aerial warfare, the elimination of career ending glass ceilings, and a point of pride as a new type of service for a modern era...

....end of rant (this is a point near and dear to my heart).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran