Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could This Be the new Air Force Dress Uniform???

This pic was posted at another forum. It shows the Air Force Chief of Staff and the CMSGT of the Air Force in what is presumably the new dress uniform for that service.

USAFUniform.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
They actually went and did it. I didn't think they'd go for that design. Wow, was I wrong. As an aside, the general all the way to the right in the picture was my old wing commander when I was stationed at Hurlburt Field. He was a good boss.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't know what the last generation of dress uniforms looked like, but that looks good to me.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Oh Yukk. Unless perfectly tailored, uniforms of this type never look good but they can sure look sloppy (officer on the right in profile is an excellent example). They also need to rethink the placement of the tip edge of the medal/ribbon bar to achieve a more balanced look.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
IMO the military lives by tradition, establishing its core values...The accomplishments of those gone before are remembered by AF units, unit pride, as do most military units, this uniform stems not from the history of the USAF but more of a Marine uniform. Not knocking Marine uniforms, they look awesome, they have earned their place in Marine History.
Hopefully this is just a trial for the unifrom review board...hope they scrap it...just my opinion

Looks like the Good Idea Fairy that brought the Navy its new Naval Working Uniform (among other uniform changes) has been visiting the Air Force.

Either that or there's a Master Sergeant somewhere in the Pentagon whose sole job is to come up with these ideas. He probably works out of the same division that comes up with names for new weapons systems. :p

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Looks like the Good Idea Fairy that brought the Navy its new Naval Working Uniform (among other uniform changes) has been visiting the Air Force.

I can't see what there is to bash about these, but I agree on the Navy one. Oof.

Weston

A-List Customer
Please, please tell me they aren't doing this. I head they weren't going ahead with it. As an officer who purchases his own uniforms, I'm still remembering buying the $400+ service dress from 6 years ago. Tell me I didn't throw down that much money just to have to have it go obsolete!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
It is supposed to look like the ones from the early 30's which were cool then and now. The current one sucks as we look like airline pilots instead of the US Airforce. But if officers are going to make these decisions they should bear the majority of the burden;). I am not a fan of it but is better than what we have now. But with budget cuts I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Mike

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
I was under the impression from reading The Air Force Times that they were basing the new dress uniforms on the WWII era Air Corp unis. If this is it, it sure doesn't look like any I've seen from then. I should know as my grandpa served in the USAAF in WWII.

Personally, I'm not all that impressed. I agree with poster that said these have the potential to look sloppy. This type of uni really should be personally fitted or tailored. The USAF is not likely to do this, and would be cost prohibitive for many serving to have done. Like Gen. McPeak's "airline pilot" uni, I hope this one gets put in File 13.

Last edited:

samtemporary

One of the Regulars

This. I'm in the Navy now, and have gone through several uniforms changes over the years. I'd rather wear dungarees, summer whites, and Johnny Cashes any day over the new cammies and service uniform.

BigFitz

Practically Family
The examples in the picture sure look frumpy if you ask me. The material looks bunched up and doesn't look like it hangs or drapes like it (my opinion)should. Now, my old Marine class A winter dress uniform, that thing would drape!

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
This. I'm in the Navy now, and have gone through several uniforms changes over the years. I'd rather wear dungarees, summer whites, and Johnny Cashes any day over the new cammies and service uniform.

I would say that half of the Navy has the same opinion. However, all the "new" guys and younger generation sailors love the NWUs. I have never liked the look of the them and never will. I think that people have forgotten that uniforms also serve a purpose, to work in and get dirty in. This is a kin to Zumwalts Navy of the 70s and the uniform debacle that era was.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, geez. I'm visualizing a new reality show: "America's Next Top Uniform"! Think what fun it would be to have Tim Gunn and Ru Paul passing judgment on the new designs. Couldn't be worse than what we have now.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Oh, geez. I'm visualizing a new reality show: "America's Next Top Uniform"! Think what fun it would be to have Tim Gunn and Ru Paul passing judgment on the new designs. Couldn't be worse than what we have now.

I'm only lurking now, but this comment deserves a :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails