Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple of horsehide leather questions...

Hankh

Familiar Face
No problem/Unterwegs!

About 12 yrs ago I bought a pair of British made Crockett&Jones shoes in Shell Cordovan HH size 13. Wear them once or twice a week, still going strong.
After marriage ;) my wife insists I wash my smelly feet before going to bed each day.:mad:
I'm an avid sigaret smoker, just took my shoes out of the closet and they smell just like the leather of a horse should .:eusa_clap

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hankh said:
On the way.
I love the smell of HH in the morning.;)

Thanks Henk! Just responded to your PM... will definitely check out this guy's work. I don't have a need at this point for a wallet or belt only because both my wallet and belt are made of carbon fiber (the material that my mechanical heart components are made out of).

Yeah, my closet where I've stored my new horsehide Aero jacket definitely smells of horsehide now. :)

My love for HH is only second to carbon fiber... HH definitely smells better, but carbon fiber is keeping me alive. :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Seb Lucas said:
I actually like HH too - I was a bit abrupt there. What I like about goat is it is so soft and tough - it's like lamb but wears like iron. It resists water better than just about anything else and it is also abrasion resistant. Some don't like it because it looks new for years. I think people debate the strength of goat over HH. I would say they are about the same. The toughest leather I've ever had is kangaroo. It is thin but dense and never wears out. I have had a kanga jacket for 16 years and it has been in rain and sun been camping, used as a seat on wet ground, left in my car's trunk for weeks in summer and it still looks straight from the shop. :)

BTW I love your jacket Navin. Original and terrific.

Thank you so much, Seb! Which jacket were you referring to in your last sentence... my Irvin Foster or the Aero jacket?

I appreciate the good info you provided about goat and kangaroo leather. What are some good brands for kangaroo leather jackets?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Navin323i said:
My love for HH is only second to carbon fiber... :D

Off topic but I also like carbon.
I am into shooting and making bows and adding carbon inside a bow
makes it very sweetshooting and fast. Arrows from carbon are also
very nice, they go with a wide range of bows and are very hard to break.

But the coolest thing of all is that nature has its own carbon.
One is bamboo and one is horn from ex. buffalo.
Pounding elk/deer tendons into thin threads and glueing them with
glue made from animal skin onto thin strips of horn and you have
same flexible durabillity as material we go to space in - carbon enhanced with fiberglass.
Offcourse hideglue isnt water resistant, and the process is timeconsuming
but the idea of carbon and composite building is as old the Egyptians.

Vintage carbon :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Off topic but I also like carbon.
I am into shooting and making bows and adding carbon inside a bow
makes it very sweetshooting and fast. Arrows from carbon are also
very nice, they go with a wide range of bows and are very hard to break.

But the coolest thing of all is that nature has its own carbon.
One is bamboo and one is horn from ex. buffalo.
Pounding elk/deer tendons into thin threads and glueing them with
glue made from animal skin onto thin strips of horn and you have
same flexible durabillity as material we go to space in - carbon enhanced with fiberglass.
Offcourse hideglue isnt water resistant, and the process is timeconsuming
but the idea of carbon and composite building is as old the Egyptians.

Vintage carbon :D

Very interesting info, Griff... thanks for sharing it! :)

Off topic... but my "carbon fiber car/heart story" just got featured on a carbon fiber website that you're welcome to check out (since you mentioned you like carbon fiber too)... let me know what you think...

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/how-a-piece-of-carbon-fiber-saved-this-mans-life/

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
That was great to read. I have never "met" someone like you ever.

I wish you could try my all carbon bow, I think you would like it.

One of the worlds greatest bowmaking companies (Borderbows) is located in Scottland.
I hinted this to Amanda hoping for a horshide quiver but I guess traditional archery is not common enough to make profit.

Navin323i

Practically Family
GriffDeLaGriff said:
That was great to read. I have never "met" someone like you ever.

I wish you could try my all carbon bow, I think you would like it.

One of the worlds greatest bowmaking companies (Borderbows) is located in Scottland.
I hinted this to Amanda hoping for a horshide quiver but I guess traditional archery is not common enough to make profit.

Thank you so much, Griff. I would seriously love to try your carbon bow. Does the bow have a "carbon fiber look" to it with the 2x2 diagonal twill weave or even a 1x1 checkerboard style weave?

Keep hinting your idea to Amanda... who knows, maybe they will at least make you one so you can advertise it and get them to make more for others. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
Navin, you should really get a quality hanger for your Aero jacket!

Something like this:

73713_1.jpg

It makes sure that the yoke and the collar retain their shape and the overall weight of the jacket gets evenly distributed over the fairly large surface of the hanger.
This particular hanger is quite expensive and is available from this place:

www.manufactum.de

But any dress jacket/suit comes with a wide hanger that is suitable for a heavy HH jacket. Don't, don't, don't put your Aeros or any other quality jacket on one of those wire hangers!!!

Guten Tag, Jan.

Here is the hanger I'm currently using for my Aero jacket. Do you think I'll be ok using this hanger?

hanger1.jpg

hanger2.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Something with a wider shoulder like the one JanSolo posted is better. You can get a great cheap (but still wooden) version at Ikea. Look for the the suit hangers with wide shoulders. They're perfect for overcoats and jackets.

Navin323i

Practically Family
AlanC said:
^Something with a wider shoulder like the one JanSolo posted is better. You can get a great cheap (but still wooden) version at Ikea. Look for the the suit hangers with wide shoulders. They're perfect for overcoats and jackets.

Nice to meet you, Alan. Thanks for the feedback. I don't have an Ikea close by but I do have a "Bed Bath & Beyond" down the street from where I work... I'll check out that place first. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
saucerfiend said:
Try this. It's 19" long and 2 1/2" wide from the top all the way to the ends. The entire shoulder region of the jacket will rest on a nice wide surface. This is the only way to go in my book. I keep my Good Wear A-2 on one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190346568136&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Brian

Thanks Brian!! That hanger looks great (I like the length and wideness) and is a great price too! I may go ahead and purchase that one... thank you so much!! :)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Both those look fine. I like the sturdiness and tradition of wood, although I think you can certainly find cheaper than the $16 cedar. The plastic one would work fine, though.

I saw you are in Maryland. I know there's an Ikea in the DC area. Are you close to there?

Walgreen's at least used to carry a wide shouldered hanger, don't know if they still do. Also look at Target and Walmart.

Navin323i

Practically Family
AlanC said:
^Both those look fine. I like the sturdiness and tradition of wood, although I think you can certainly find cheaper than the $16 cedar. The plastic one would work fine, though.

I saw you are in Maryland. I know there's an Ikea in the DC area. Are you close to there?

Walgreen's at least used to carry a wide shouldered hanger, don't know if they still do. Also look at Target and Walmart.

Thanks Alan! I'm about an hour from the Ikea in College Park. I was on Ikea's website but wasn't sure which hanger you specifically liked there.

I'll check out Walgreens as well as Target and Walmart too.

The eBay one that Brian provided looks pretty good too, though it's not wood.

The only thing I don't like about Cedar hangers is that since they have a scent to them I don't want the hangers to somehow lessen the scent of the horsehide on my Aero jacket (assuming that's possible).

Navin

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Navin,

I have the cedar hanger and it's quite nice, although pricey. It's nice and wide in the shoulder and well made.

The cedar does nothing to the coat smell. Just keeps away the moths!

Steve

Navin323i

Practically Family
HighandDry said:
Navin,

I have the cedar hanger and it's quite nice, although pricey. It's nice and wide in the shoulder and well made.

The cedar does nothing to the coat smell. Just keeps away the moths!

Steve

Hey Steve... thanks for the info. Glad to hear that the cedar does nothing to the horsehide coat smell.

Which specific cedar hanger do you use and where did you buy it from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR