Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Covering A Song During the 20's, 30's, 40, and 50's

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Good question. Gotta love a standard-
I have several favourite renditions:

Gershwin:
- Embraceable You (Tommy Dorsey and the Pied Pipers)
- Lady Be Good (Benny Goodman Trio)

Dorothy Fields and Jerome Kern:
- A Fine Romance (Fred Astaire, with Johnny Green orchestra)

Irving Berlin:
- Let's Face The Music And Dance (Fred Astaire, with Johnny Green orchestra)
- Top Hat, White Tie And Tails (Ray Noble with Fred Astaire)

Cole Porter:
- Night And Day (Artie Shaw, instrumental)
- Let's Do It (Irving Aaronson and his Commanders, Phil Saxe vocals)
- Let's Misbehave (same as above)

Rodgers & Hart
- Where Or When (Benny Goodman with Peggy Lee)
- The Girlfriend (George Olsen and his Music)

Harold Arlen & Johnny Mercer:
- Blues In The Night (Tommy Dorset w/ Jo Stafford)

I don't think I've heard more than 5 or 6 versions of the same song. I tend to stick to the first cover I listen.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I really don't even like to use the term "cover" when talking about 20s and 30s music. The concept of "covering" really just didn't exist then.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
I really don't even like to use the term "cover" when talking about 20s and 30s music. The concept of "covering" really just didn't exist then.
No, it really didn't. The exception was jazz instrumental arrangements. And the ones that made it onto record were usually publisher's "stocks," because they gave them out free.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
call it "playing the same song", if you will.

Still, many songs were played by various people, and in this day and age, it is called a "cover song"

Anyone else have favorites?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
There are many, but Cole Porter's "I've Got You Under My Skin", takes a place of preference for me. Plenty of recordings of that one.

..."Use your mentality,
"wake up to reality."
But each time I do, just the thought of you
makes me stop, before I beguin,
Cause I've got you under my skin."

Kind of nice

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it is "covering" if another singer wrote and first performed the song, it's "their song".

But, if it was written by a non-performing songwriter, it was just "a" song and there was no "original version", all versions were interpretations.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Vladimir Berkov said:

Fletch said:
No, it really didn't. The exception was jazz instrumental arrangements. And the ones that made it onto record were usually publisher's "stocks," because they gave them out free.

carebear said:
I think it is "covering" if another singer wrote and first performed the song, it's "their song".

But, if it was written by a non-performing songwriter, it was just "a" song and there was no "original version", all versions were interpretations.

Do any of you three have a favorite song that was sang by various musicians and by whom?

carebear

"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" - The first version I remember hearing was Bryan Ferry's but of course the Platters' version was great. It was a long while before I read it was written for a Broadway musical.

I like Ferry's versions of the standards, ditto k.d. Lang. Standards aren't usually "covers" by my definition.

One of my favorite songs I first heard a couple times at some open mikes and thought the local guy had written. It was "Green and Dumb" by Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. One of my favorite bands.

I like traditional Irish songs and enjoy the various takes by folk artists and rock bands like the Young Dubliners, Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys.

Of course my mind is blank for particular songs but Bruce Robison is a fantastic songwriter who often writes for other artists. I'm always surprised to hear him actually singing them on Austin City Limits.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" - The first version I remember hearing was Bryan Ferry's but of course the Platters' version was great. It was a long while before I read it was written for a Broadway musical.
Yes, because rock writers aren't interested in Broadway musicals written back around the time of Caesar Augustus. [huh]

LadyStardust

Practically Family
The most prominent one that comes to mind is I Can't Give You Anything But Love as done by Annette Hanshaw. Hers is -THE- version, as far as I'm concerned.

Novella

Practically Family
I like St. Louis Blues, Am I Blue?, Red Lips (Kiss My Blues Away), You're the Cream in My Coffee/Annette Hanshaw, Only Have Eyes for You/Dick Powell (I love just about anything from the Warren and Dubin team), The Music Goes Round and Round/Boswell Sisters, and Fly Me to the Moon/Frank Sinatra.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm a big Warren-Dubin fan myself -- the Bing Crosby version of "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me" is one of my favorite records, but the Fred Waring version is pretty nice too. Of course, you can't go wrong with any Dick Powell version of any Dubin-Warren tune!

"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" -- Ruth Etting did an absolutely gorgeous version of this song, perhaps the all time definitive version.

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
Vincent Youmans, Harold Adamson & Mack Gordon's 1931 song "Time On My Hands" is one of my all-time favorites; and another example of a tune that has seen a number of different versions since it's inception.

In the year of the song's release, five superb interpretations were made which stand out from the rest...

Russ Columbo recorded his version for Victor, as did a very young (and passionate) Lee Wiley with Leo Reisman's Orchestra. The great Connie Boswell made one for Brunswick. Smith Ballew & His Piping Rock Orchestra cut a hit version for Columbia -- and on the other side of the Atlantic, Al Bowlly recorded it three times (that I know of) with different groups; the best of which (IMO) was made with the New Mayfair Dance Orchestra under the direction of Ray Noble.

I'm truly at odds to say who made the best version in '31, as these vocalists were easily amongst of the most talented of their time. Each recording has it's own strengths and is worth seeking out.

carebear

Also done by Bryan Ferry on "As Time Goes By"

Time on My Hands

(Adamson, Gordon , Youmans and Connelly)

Time on my hands, you in my arms
Nothing but love in view
Then if you fall, once and for all
I'll see my dreams come true
Moments to spare
With someone you care to
One love affair for two
And so with time on my hands
And you in my arms
And love in my heart all for you

Forum statistics

Threads