Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Love those Bob! How far off are they?

I've been trying to stretch one pair that's a half size too small to fit me without much luck, and had to move another that was a half size too large.

According to the seller:
- 11" approximate length of outsoles.
- shoe stretchers are set at approximately 10.75"

Not even close to my size 12 (or 11.5 in some boots).

Nice score Bob!!! Those are truly impressive. And yeah, it definitely makes you a collector. Don't worry, you're in good company.

Thanks Dale.

Stitching is different from 3506.

Reached out to Nancie again:

"Yes, I see the difference. That makes me think that possibly someone requested a stitch pattern change. That would be considered a make-up.

We still do that today. If someone requests a color difference, a size, toe, heel change that the boots is not stocked in, or a stitch pattern change we do a make-up."

So ... maybe.

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen, just got back from knee surgery (torn meniscus), bored silly so cruising for boots on the old "interweb".

Maybe some of you have seen these already, they been on Ebay for a while, lovely pair of vintage Pee Wee's. Too small for me but I love them.

What style of toe is this? I imagine a variation of the straight snip toe but the way they cant back from the tip is unusual...is there a name for this?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Gentlemen, just got back from knee surgery (torn meniscus), bored silly so cruising for boots on the old "interweb".

Maybe some of you have seen these already, they been on Ebay for a while, lovely pair of vintage Pee Wee's. Too small for me but I love them.

What style of toe is this? I imagine a variation of the straight snip toe but the way they cant back from the tip is unusual...is there a name for this?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Don't know of any specific name for that style...different makers seem to call it different things. X -toe, snip toe, box toe, peso toe.....the list goes on. That's a great looking pair though, I've seen them on the ebay myself, but since they're too small I just admired them and moved on. I'll occasionally grab up a pair that don't fit if the price is right enough......but those were a looooong way from that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Saw this in the news just yesterday. I didn't realize how popular the skins were. Hell... I thought they'd already been banned for some years now. Guess not.

I didn't realize the popularity of them either until I started reading a bit on different endangered species used for boot hides a couple of years ago. I don't get the appeal and the damn fish boots leave me at a loss for words. Pangolins are smuggled for their meat as well. Those crazy rich Asians.

I saw this too. I can’t think of a creepier looking critter for boots. Giant dinosaur possum!
I was thinking about other exotics and i wondered, why don’t we see bear leather for boots, jackets, etc?? Seems like bear would be cool and probably tough stuff.
B

What I've read and been told by bootmakers is the animals that have a lot of dense, longer fur and those that go through a lot of seasonal changes causing shedding and regrowth of hair, have hides that have a lot of elasticity and stretch to them making it more difficult to to crimp and last the leather. It's hard to get all the stretch out and they'll continue to stretch when worn.

A lot of boot makers don't like to make boots out of deer, elk, bison and a few others for these reasons.

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
I'm a hunter and I've never heard of anyone tanning bear skin for leather, though I don't see why it couldn't be done. Most of the time the hair is left on for rugs or robes.

I have had deer, moose and javelina hides tanned, all too soft for boots though moose makes nice house mocs or slippers. Javelina is very thin but tough, good for gloves and I've had a shotgun pad covered in it.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
What I've read and been told by bootmakers is the animals that have a lot of dense, longer fur and those that go through a lot of seasonal changes causing shedding and regrowth of hair, have hides that have a lot of elasticity and stretch to them making it more difficult to to crimp and last the leather. It's hard to get all the stretch out and they'll continue to stretch when worn.

A lot of boot makers don't like to make boots out of deer, elk, bison and a few others for these reasons.
Well that does make a lot of sense Greg. I knew somebody in this thread would know.
Come to think of it, all those leather jacket thread guys extol the supple spongy feel of deer, elk, bison and the short haired critters as tough thick leathers.
Guess i’ll stick to the usual suspects. A hairy mukluk looking boot might be a bit much. Lol
Thanks for the info.
B

Come to think of it, all those leather jacket thread guys extol the supple spongy feel of deer, elk, bison and the short haired critters as tough thick leathers.

Yeah, I read through the jacket threads and 3.5 HH is desirable but most covet one of the toughest, lightest and most desirable smooth leathers, kangaroo. Just about the favorite leather of most boot makers, strength to weight ratio is unrivaled and they say it's the easiest and most forgiving leather to work with. Short dense coat, growing wild in the harshest of conditions. Self sustaining and never successfully farmed.

I have one pair with a kango foot and several with kango tops. Good stuff.

Last edited:

I have a pair of Alberta Boot Co boots with Elk uppers & calf lowers. Only ones I have seen with the Elk. Makes a nice upper, soft and pliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR