Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Thought I'd share these late 50s - early 60s era crocodile Tony Lamas I spotted in a vintage shop in Nashville. I could see these having been worn on the stage of the Grand Old Opry at some point. I like this style a lot. Fortunately for my wallet they were waaay to small.
892581cec95ebdee9d8726c6f1e6027c.jpg
f860f05b45bca778f25bb5ddec552795.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cuz, those are great. They call that an "apron" vamp and TL is the only one of the big 3 I remember seeing that made that style. What a great color combo. There was a pair on the bay not long ago.
I lost out on a pair on ebay last year. Might've been the same ones. I have a pair of ACMEs made in that style. Not croc, though. They're too snug to wear comfortably, and I've been low key looking to snag a pair that fits for awhile. First time I ever saw a pair like this was out in Austin in the early 90s at a vintage shop. They were super pointy (like I like 'em), black, and had red piping around the apron and down the sides. I tried like hell to make my feet fit in 'em. It didn't work out.

Here's a pic of mine. The leather on the apron is a different kind of hide than the rest of the vamp, and a slightly different shade of brown with black piping separating them. They aren't so much a blue jeans kind of boot, but they look mighty fine as dress shoes.
3fc4fcc498d69e0aa2979ca22cac6cd8.jpg

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
I've bid on a few pair like that in the last few months, one was two-tone, definitely a 1950-60's style.

On a different note, have any of you ever had heels re-profiled? I just got these Lucchese croc and goat skins, like everything about them except the heel, was thinking of having them changed to something racier but I imagine that changes the geometry of everything?

ffguk.jpg
jktu.jpg

I've bid on a few pair like that in the last few months, one was two-tone, definitely a 1950-60's style.

On a different note, have any of you ever had heels re-profiled? I just got these Lucchese croc and goat skins, like everything about them except the heel, was thinking of having them changed to something racier but I imagine that changes the geometry of everything?

View attachment 178452 View attachment 178453
You can change the rake but if you alter the height very much it'll throw things off.

Even changing the rake & not the height will change the geometry of the boot. It moves the loadbearing heel pad farther forward under the foot. They will be harder to walk in.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars

View attachment 178452 View attachment 178453
I had a pair of classics with the same heels and had them cut down a bit shorter. For me, it worked great and the boots were much more comfortable to walk in. YMMV BTW, nice boots!

By "racy" I assume you're talking about the rake of the heel & not the overall rake of the boot. You can't change the rake of the boot anyway. But if you change the rake of the heel by changing the heel blocks you are essentially decreasing & moving the contact surface with the ground forward under the foot, moving the pressure point on your foot slightly forward. In doing so without changing the arch you put undue pressure on the shank. The best results but possibly still unsatisfactory would be to raise the heel blocks by 2 layers when you rake them.

Lucchese boots are low arched. There's a reason why most low arched valley boots are made with 1-5/8 block heels & not undershot cowboy heels. Essentially if you don't like the way they fit, walk or look the best thing to do is just get rid of them.

IMG_4078.JPG

Will it be any harder to walk in than a pair originally made with more rake?

Harder? I don't know. Just to add a little to what HJ said; if the heel is lowered or raised you're changing the optimal geometry of the boot. The heel strike, foot strike, (where the ball makes contact) and the toe spring, affecting how the foot rolls forward will be changed.

3 different rakes, all on 1 5/8" heel. About 1/4" difference between each. All hit at the same spot under the arch, about 1/4" forward of the side seam. The pair in back are Lucchese, for reference. Not to poke the bear, but I personally find the pair with the most rake easiest for walking in. That said, they aren't necessarily the most comfortable for just standing on for long periods. The least rake is better for that. They all are equally comfortable when sitting on my ass.

Jack is spot on about changing the height and it's effect on the shank. A little difference usually will walk itself into shape, but that's with a steel or leather shanked boot. Those look like modern Luccheses, and as such likely have a fiberglass shank. Airport friendly, they advertise them. Any height change could put enough pressure on it to break it.
45e53ffd1a04dc674675d80f039da2e4.jpg

Last edited:
Found a couple pair of TL's similar to what Dale posted. Ever pair I've run across has the same label.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Those are impressive. The tops, for lack of a better expression, are over the top.

Interestingly, those and the ones I saw have a split toe, like a pair of oxfords. Mine, and all the other pairs I've ever seen, don't have that.

Interestingly, those and the ones I saw have a split toe, like a pair of oxfords.
That's due to smaller hides being pieced. Even farm raised alligators are being harvested younger & therefore smaller. Teju Lizard is a problem I hear. Count the number of pieces in a new Teju Lizard boot sometime.

That's due to smaller hides being pieced. Even farm raised alligators are being harvested younger & therefore smaller. Teju Lizard is a problem I hear. Count the number of pieces in a new Teju Lizard boot sometime.
I've seen them with as many as 8, if they have a 3 piece heel counter. And that's not even considering the patchwork ones, usually made from diamond shaped scraps. Looks like argyle patterned exotic boots. To each his own, but I'll save that look for socks.

6f91f8898a34f1994e7b34a05c59ab19.jpg

Last edited:

Yamahana

Practically Family
Anyone know any info or background on these Goast ankle boots? I’ve never heard of em and nothing comes up in a search. They’re USA made.
f54923daf3bf1e59d81bb3d9d1e52f51.jpg
d5ff0938baf30b6e2a4a5ee9c14030d6.jpg

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post but I’ve read enough of this thread to know that you fellers know what you’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
3 different rakes, all on 1 5/8" heel. About 1/4" difference between each. All hit at the same spot under the arch, about 1/4" forward of the side seam. The pair in back are Lucchese, for reference. Not to poke the bear, but I personally find the pair with the most rake easiest for walking in. That said, they aren't necessarily the most comfortable for just standing on for long periods. The least rake is better for that. They all are equally comfortable when sitting on my ass.

Jack is spot on about changing the height and it's effect on the shank. A little difference usually will walk itself into shape, but that's with a steel or leather shanked boot. Those look like modern Luccheses, and as such likely have a fiberglass shank. Airport friendly, they advertise them. Any height change could put enough pressure on it to break it.
45e53ffd1a04dc674675d80f039da2e4.jpg

Mine are newer (2012) Lucchese so yes, probably a glass shank. I don't want to change the height, just a bit more rake. I'll probably wear them unitl they need new heel caps and then ask to have them ground a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko