Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Spotted a giant Justin today.
93dfa0e8aaa52be6dc7bba8f3cbd2438.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Handsome miniature leather cowboy boots hand-made by Clyde Barrow while incarcerated as a gift for his mother, measuring 4.5″ tall and 3.5″ long, with a well-crafted "Mom" appliqué on the front, and heart-shaped cutouts on the sides and back. The smooth black leather boots are finely sewn and feature a burgundy "Mom" on white panels on the front, red heart and white diamond inlays on the sides, and large white hearts on the backs. In very good to fine condition, with wear and fraying to the rear of one boot.

Both Clyde and his brother Buck were skilled amateur craftsmen, and while in prison they engaged in jewelry-making, leathercraft, and woodworking.

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 184709 Pair of custom stove pipe's made by Little's Boot Company (San Antonio). (Sorry for the old and badly lit photo.) Inspired by reading 'Art of the Boot' by Tyler Beard and Jim Arndt in the early 2000's.
Nice ones! Those look great.

Tyler and Jim have "inspired" me to spend a pile of my own money, too. Maybe more than once.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Handsome miniature leather cowboy boots hand-made by Clyde Barrow while incarcerated as a gift for his mother, measuring 4.5″ tall and 3.5″ long, with a well-crafted "Mom" appliqué on the front, and heart-shaped cutouts on the sides and back. The smooth black leather boots are finely sewn and feature a burgundy "Mom" on white panels on the front, red heart and white diamond inlays on the sides, and large white hearts on the backs. In very good to fine condition, with wear and fraying to the rear of one boot.

Both Clyde and his brother Buck were skilled amateur craftsmen, and while in prison they engaged in jewelry-making, leathercraft, and woodworking.

View attachment 184538

View attachment 184541

View attachment 184540

Don't know how I missed this post. Those are something.

Last edited:
Don't know how I missed thhis post. Those are something.
There was an auction over the weekend that included some Bonnie & Clyde artifacts but I didn't follow it. Except for these boots & the shotgun Clyde left at the shootout at the Red Crown, most of it was letters & correspondence, etc.

There was an auction over the weekend that included some Bonnie & Clyde artifacts but I didn't follow it. Except for these boots & the shotgun Clyde left at the shootout at the Red Crown, most of it was letters & correspondence, etc.

Your posting of Barrow's boots reminded me of Arnold Darby, the TX inmate who made over a 1,000 pair of cowboy boots while serving time. Paroled in 2011, he violated his parole and is back in Huntsville, no longer making boots.

I posted a story on him here before but I found a couple of pics this time around. Only one boot shot but he may have the coolest maker's label I've ever seen but still not as cool as Charlie Dunn's signature..
37379488080_c8d49f070c_k.jpg

uns5JxB.jpg

Mark-Walters-boots-by-Kristen-Cabrera.jpg

Your posting of Barrow's boots reminded me of Arnold Darby, the TX inmate who made over a 1,000 pair of cowboy boots while serving time. Paroled in 2011, he violated his parole and is back in Huntsville, no longer making boots.

I posted a story on him here before but I found a couple of pics this time around. Only one boot shot but he may have the coolest maker's label I've ever seen but still not as cool as Charlie Dunn's signature..
37379488080_c8d49f070c_k.jpg

uns5JxB.jpg

Mark-Walters-boots-by-Kristen-Cabrera.jpg
I remember & always wondered if he violated intentionally?

Nice tops but not a fan of the hornback.

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
I've been watching the excellent new Ken Burns documentary on PBS, "Country Music". The first part of Episode 2, "Hard Times, deals with the rise of the singing cowboy, there are some great shots with the singers and bands in full regalia, including some truly vintage, boot work, inlays and all. No closeups but still fun.

37 years behind. Not uncommon at all or they just don't care, knowing how to live that way.
I went back & read some of this again. I doubt he violated his parole intentionally (GPS monitoring, DWI, failure to stop, etc) because he & an ex wife were together again, but he was probably destined to fail. He had no money to start up a boot shop on the outside. When he was making boots (over 1,000 pair) & money on the inside he spent it in the commissary. He never planned to get out someday because he had been denied parole 22 times (murder & robbery) before. Once on parole he was working long hrs pasting up cardboard boxes in a food processing plant, & started drinking on the job.

He won't likely regain his model prisoner status while serving parole violation, so he can't work in a prison shop around tools. Seventy yrs old now, if he gets out again it's unlikely anyone would back him financially in a boot shop of his own.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
I went back & read some of this again. I doubt he violated his parole intentionally (GPS monitoring, DWI, failure to stop, etc) because he & an ex wife were together again, but he was probably destined to fail. He had no money to start up a boot shop on the outside. When he was making boots (over 1,000 pair) & money on the inside he spent it in the commissary. He never planned to get out someday because he had been denied parole 22 times (murder & robbery) before. Once on parole he was working long hrs pasting up cardboard boxes in a food processing plant, & started drinking on the job.

He won't likely regain his model prisoner status while serving parole violation, so he can't work in a prison shop around tools. Seventy yrs old now, if he gets out again it's unlikely anyone would back him financially in a boot shop of his own.

Very interesting story. Has anyone seen any of his boots come up for sale ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk