Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
My first pair of Fryes c. 1971 had a squared toe and stirrups, I could live with these big ..."snip" toes. The newer "duckbills", no thanks

036K75_42_P1.JPG

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
^^^^they remind me of those ridiculous looking square toe’d dress shoes that look like flippers. If i want to wear flippers i’ll go scuba diving that way i don’t trip over my own feet and look stupider.
But hey, maybe if i had no shoes.
B

Ha ha, yeah I forgot about the square toed dress shoes.....

Woodtroll

One Too Many
And you wont, Rob. Not unless you find some museum examples when boots were made with no left or right and were essentially shrink to fit. I don't remember seeing these type boots since then until Ariat came on strong, with a few others promoting wide square toes and double/triple sewn welts.

I see a lot of photos of square-toed “cowboy “ and farmer(?) boots from the late 1800s and always liked the way they looked, but they look a lot different (better, to my mind) than the current style that is as flat and wide as a coal scoop. I don’t care for those at all. I expect the old style square toe is indeed a holdover from the boots that fit either foot, as already mentioned.

I like that narrower squared toe a lot, Cuz. I've got a few pairs of old peewees from the late 40s and early 50s with a similar toe shape.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, Cuz. I have a couple more pair with similar toes. All approx. 1". Wide as I can go. When I picked these up, I thought they had a sort of vintage look to them with the toe and style of wingtip.

Love those Greg. Horsehide??
And the hat, yes that hat!
B

Thanks, B. These are water buffalo. I would love to have a pair of horsehides, though. Probably told of this around here somewhere. The first really good cowboy boots I bought were a pair of Justin mulehide that I picked up at J R's Western World around 1978. Almost indestructable. Wore them until they couldn't be rebuilt anymore. My mom finally threw them away when I left the state for a year. Can't remember the last time I saw a pair of equine skin boots for sale retail. I know makers can get it for a build but I've never inquired. I believe they would be expensive. The hat is the #1.

Last edited:

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, B. These are water buffalo. I would love to have a pair of horsehides, though. Probably told of this around here somewhere. The first really good cowboy boots I bought were a pair of Justin mulehide that I picked up at J R's Western World around 1978. Almost indestructable. Wore them until they couldn't be rebuilt anymore. My mom finally threw them away when I left the state for a year. Can't remember the last time I saw a pair of equine skin boots for sale retail. I know makers can get it for a build but I've never inquired. I believe they would be expensive. The hat is the #1.

I have some AE Cordovan dress shoes, but never seen western boots with it. Not sure if it would be as suitable for those, but would be expensive !

I have some AE Cordovan dress shoes

Well, the Cordovan would be fine but just enough for the vamp and heel counter if it can be found in a suitable size. Much of the hide would be suitable for boot/shoe building, there just doesn't seem to be a big call for it. A lot of boot makers prefer horse hide for their boot liners.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab

Seeing Jack’s Sharks reminded me I had a pair of old Tony Lamas I completely forgot about. Haven’t been out in years, needed new soles and I never got around to it. Put some conditioner on them and Think I’ll get them done now. The camera made them look purple, really a deep burgundy/black.

BA05E456-C0A4-4092-AF2C-5D872AA4042E.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland