Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

The really cool thing about those boots, and similarly plain black lizard, is that the look equally well with bluejeans as they do with a suit. Not all cowboy boots are that versatile.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Mercer

One of the Regulars
The really cool thing about those boots, and similarly plain black lizard, is that the look equally well with bluejeans as they do with a suit. Not all cowboy boots are that versatile.

You're so right! I'm normally not a fan of shiny boots, as they always seem to look more appropriate with suits rather than jeans. For me, that was especially true with black boots; most types of black leather always seemed too shiny for my taste. However, I had always noticed that for some reason, ostrich, lizard, or even alligator looked better with jeans than, say, calf skin.

I totally agree. I have a pair of Nocona glossy calf, with a good spit shine they could almost pass for patent leather, and they just don't really work with jeans. It must be something about the texture of exotic skins.

TipTop

Practically Family
I was doing a search of previous posts of mine and realized that I never posted about this, so here goes . . .

In March I bought a pair of black Lucchese Classics full-quill ostrich. Since having to sell my previous black boots (Lucchese Classics in black ranch hand) because I got the wrong toe style (which made them uncomfortably narrow), I had been in the market for those. In addition, the idea of full-quill ostrich boots had begun to grow on me, and so I ended up killing 2 birds with 1 stone -- I got a pair of black full-quill ostrich Lucchese Classics, which happened to be on sale: View attachment 4893

I love 'em!

Handsome boots and of course, that ostrich is very soft and pliable. Which toe did you get? Did you see the Lucchese toe and heel guide I posted above?

u6e9ejyd.jpg
7yja2u3a.jpg

Been kinda quiet around here so thought I'd post up.
These are Dan Post.

TipTop

Practically Family
u6e9ejyd.jpg
7yja2u3a.jpg

Been kinda quiet around here so thought I'd post up.
These are Dan Post.

Do you or any of our western brethren know the origin of that buck stitch? I declined the similar hand-lacing (also shown along the top edge in the linked Falconhead model shown) on the side shaft seams when I had my tooled Falconheads made because I thought it was a) too much over tooling and not very noticeable and b) it looked alien to me me here in the East. I do have it on a fancy (Ralph Laruen, no less) leather shirt-jacket and I have seen it in many buckskin garments. I wondered if it is really "needed" for buckskin or other very soft hides that might otherwise tear at traditional seams.

Any derivation info out there??

Last edited:
I'm guessing the practice began with using thin strips of buckskin to sew together pieces of a buckskin garment, or maybe make quick repairs "in the field" so to speak. Obviously these days it's pretty much ornamental, and has been for a while. The stitching on those boots isn't even on a seam.
epunupat.jpg

Here's an up close of some more (purely ornamental) stitching. Boots are Tony Lama. Got these back in the early 90s, my first pair of really fancy boots. Been resoled 5 or 6 tmes by now.

Here's a pair of vintage (late 50s - early 60s) ACME boots. The vamp design of the DPs puts me to mind of this style. These are a little sleeker with the piping, and the top of the vamp is a different kind of leather. I wish they were two tone.
mubatesa.jpg
neseba7y.jpg
3yrupy4a.jpg

As a point of interest, these boots are all leather construction with pegged soles, like you would expect of any high end boot now days. ACME products have sure fallen a looong way.

strokes1251

Practically Family
Funny I was in Tijuana and remember the store my dad always goes to for his boots so I decided since I was already here I might as well get me my first "snake-skins" and the others were just a pair I couldn't leave without :) Always been a fan of thee boots since I was a little kid and decided better start late than never :B
2vvt7if.jpg

2zsqws5.jpg

a0f9ue.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
Here's a pair of vintage (late 50s - early 60s) ACME boots. The vamp design of the DPs puts me to mind of this style. These are a little sleeker with the piping, and the top of the vamp is a different kind of leather. I wish they were two tone.
neseba7y.jpg

As a point of interest, these boots are all leather construction with pegged soles, like you would expect of any high end boot now days. ACME products have sure fallen a looong way.

Yup, those Acmes are a fine boot; I'll throw a guess out that that the vamps are French calf, with the usual horse tops, but that's just a guess. At first, I thought maybe cordovan, but then I saw the grain in the good light and changed my mind.

And speaking of grain, Strokes, those are beautifully matched skins on those snake boots of yours. That matching process alone is an art form to me. Very nice.

You may be right Tip Top. I've never been able to decide what the top of the vamps are. The sides and shafts are fairly supple, but the top is stiff, and easily twice as thick as the sides, although it hasn't creased up like horse seems to do. I really dig the style of them, it's one you don't see duplicated any more.

Strokes1251 those are both some tasty looking boots. The color on the snake ones is out of this world, I like 'em.

strokes1251

Practically Family
And speaking of grain, Strokes, those are beautifully matched skins on those snake boots of yours. That matching process alone is an art form to me. Very nice.

Strokes1251 those are both some tasty looking boots. The color on the snake ones is out of this world, I like 'em.

@TipTop Yes they are Beautiful boots, as soon as I got home I went on their website as one of the employes told me they have videos showing how their boots are made. Simply amazing.
@dh66 Thanks! Yea if you can believe there were even more tasty looking colorways but sadly my wallet is colorbind :p

I checked out Cuadra's website. (Stroke's new boots) Some of their boots look really nice. I'm very partial to pointy toes. There even was a style similar to my ACMEs, though I wasn't real keen on the Stacy Adams looking toe on them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider