Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

NewJack

Practically Family
Eel does the same thing. Never buy eel.

Had a pair! Fortunately, there ran too small! Never considered them again. Now I know why...That still small voice! Was checking on a pair of Rios De Mercedes...Thoughts? I know earlier Lamas, DPs, Naconas, etc. are good. However, as I become familiar with names and some of their styles, Rios has the type of heel I like and simply look comfortable.

Was checking on a pair of Rios De Mercedes...

I've owned one pair of Rios and they're good boots with construction I think is on par with Lucchese Classics, US made, wood pegged soles and nice leather. Like Jack, they were not so much my style and I moved them on. Black Jack is another US mfg. boot that you don't hear much about is also a well made boot.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Regarding Rios boots--when I was selling boots about 20 years ago I felt that Rios was very high quality--at least on par with Lucchese (we sold both) since that time so many boot companies have been bought and sold I've lost track of who owns who, let alone if they make their own boots vs just labeling.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Since we were discussing the Nocona art, my wife and I were waiting for an Uber home this evening and I noticed these outside the (sadly) derelict New Isis Theatre in the Fort Worth Stockyards.

8b77887b8d0d10b5f599b4fcc8b49527.jpg
848749435e329e42402a8036d18dd958.jpg

Cheers! David

How are the new Dan Post boots? Are they just some more imported junk?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Duck, I haven't handled any Dan Post in years so I can't say for certain. My guess would be, that since they're put out by the same outfit that produces Laredo, Dingo and John Deere boots, imported junk.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
How are the new Dan Post boots? Are they just some more imported junk?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

A local bootseller and cobbler (strangely trying to talk himself out of a sale) told me they use mexican leather which is made with too much urea so it doesn't last as long as it should. I bought them anyway. But I didn't keep them long because the last didn't break in well with my foot. But I thought the leather quality was fine myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. He thinks there are better ways to tan the leather for more longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's still done that way because it's cheap. Animal urine is very acidic so that in itself works against longevity. Also a frequent complaint is when the boots get wet they smell like urine.

It's still done that way because it's cheap. Animal urine is very acidic so that in itself works against longevity. Also a frequent complaint is when the boots get wet they smell like urine.

Talk about pissing on your boots! Plus, there are only 5 or so tanneries left in this country.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Those appear to be photoshopped versions of the originals?

I suspect they are advertising posters that would have been displayed in retail stores. They are somewhat faded, as you'd expect from being out in the Texas sun.

I'd love to have them on the walls in my office.

This is one I haven't seen before. Did you get a pic of the Justin poster?

848749435e329e42402a8036d18dd958.jpg

I didn't, Jack - the Uber lady arrived just as I was taking the photos

There are some Justin and also some Tony Lama posters, I'll get photos of all of them next time I go by.

Funny thing is, I walk by there regularly and not noticed them before, I guess I'm not the most observant person [emoji1]

Cheers! David

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The New Isis Theater has been vacant since 1988. I don't know when those posters were installed there.

There are plenty of stores that sell those brands within a short walk, and there is a local connection since Justin Boots (A Berkshire Hathaway company, like Nocona and Tony Lama) is a Fort Worth company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ