Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
91A84F8E-0EE3-4D3D-9820-066575F04E11.jpeg
Ok...you fast today Bama.
I figured they might be something different from shoe trees.
Thanks
Question?? While i’m here.
Any tips for trying to stretch about a 1/2 size out of a boot? Specifically, these bullhides. They are lightly worn and not broken in. Thought i’d ask you all smart guys before i pulled a Bowen. Ha
B

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 138113 Ok...you fast today Bama.
I figured they might be something different from shoe trees.
Thanks
Question?? While i’m here.
Any tips for trying to stretch about a 1/2 size out of a boot? Specifically, these bullhides. They are lightly worn and not broken in. Thought i’d ask you all smart guys before i pulled a Bowen. Ha
B
If they are tight in a certain area, some boot shops will stretch them. Arches, width, and throat, but not length. About $25 around here. There are stretching sprays available, spray the inside, and wear until dry. Marginal results, but good for a break in. Scout is about the best IMO.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
If they are tight in a certain area, some boot shops will stretch them. Arches, width, and throat, but not length. About $25 around here. There are stretching sprays available, spray the inside, and wear until dry. Marginal results, but good for a break in. Scout is about the best IMO.

Thanks DD:
That makes sense.
It’s mainly my left foot toe pinch kinda, not so much length. My left is the larger of the two. Prob from using my right all these years to stick up.........!
Anyway, i thought about getting it wet then putting a stretcher to it but idk the downside to that??
B

@AbbaDatDeHat, what Dd said. You won't get any length if that's what you need. An at home stretcher for cowboy boots can be had for around $75 and like Dd, it's about $25 here for a cobbler to do it.

I've made my own "stretch" spray from denatured alcohol and distilled water. 50/50 mix. Can't remember where I learned that. A bootmakers forum I use to frequent I believe.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks DD:
That makes sense.
It’s mainly my left foot toe pinch kinda, not so much length. My left is the larger of the two. Prob from using my right all these years to stick up.........!
Anyway, i thought about getting it wet then putting a stretcher to it but idk the downside to that??
B
I used a tool in the past, just a piece of steel rod with a ball bearing welded on the end. It worked great for spot stretching. Sprayed some Scout, then used the ball to stretch the tight spot.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
New Osuna Day!!
My boots were actually done about a month ago and Esteban was nice enough to go out of his way to meet up with me outside of San Diego so we could assess the fit in person. Unfortunately they were a bit too big overall, including not being snug enough in the instep, and being slightly long (caveat--I'm hard to fit and bootmakers tend to not trust my measurements--even if they take them). So he was a bit afraid to make them too small, thinking they could later be taken in a bit if needed. We decided he could just relast them, but he chose to make me another pair--mainly because the toe bug would look funny if he shortened the boot by 1/2". Here's a pic with my new boots on the left and the first pair on the right:

The fit is great and they are going to be very comfortable. If they were any taller I'd need to grow longer legs lol. The tops are 17" and the heel is 2" with a spur ledge and a bit wider base so I can walk in them. They are made from a heavy shoulder leather, rough side out, and heavy black tops, with 10 rows of stitching. Here's some shots of my new boots before they get used and abused--after all they are gonna be a work/riding boot, albeit a fancy pair:

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Those are beauties! Love the stitching colors. Looking forward to seeing how they wear with real world use. Congrats!

Now, what size are the pair that was left behind?...:rolleyes:
Thanks Bob, the stitching pattern/colors and fancy collar were Esteban's choice. I was after something a bit more simple, but he twisted my arm and I'm glad he did! There's a lot of labor in the extra rows of stitching when it's done by hand!--The size is somewhere in the 11 1/2 B range, with some tweaks. I guess I can't have a one-of-a-kind boot anymore, but it would be great to have the other pair stay in the family! BTW, Esteban's customer service was outstanding!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
New Osuna Day!!
My boots were actually done about a month ago and Esteban was nice enough to go out of his way to meet up with me outside of San Diego so we could assess the fit in person. Unfortunately they were a bit too big overall, including not being snug enough in the instep, and being slightly long (caveat--I'm hard to fit and bootmakers tend to not trust my measurements--even if they take them). So he was a bit afraid to make them too small, thinking they could later be taken in a bit if needed. We decided he could just relast them, but he chose to make me another pair--mainly because the toe bug would look funny if he shortened the boot by 1/2". Here's a pic with my new boots on the left and the first pair on the right:

The fit is great and they are going to be very comfortable. If they were any taller I'd need to grow longer legs lol. The tops are 17" and the heel is 2" with a spur ledge and a bit wider base so I can walk in them. They are made from a heavy shoulder leather, rough side out, and heavy black tops, with 10 rows of stitching. Here's some shots of my new boots before they get used and abused--after all they are gonna be a work/riding boot, albeit a fancy pair:

Oh my begosh darn!!
About what size were the too large ones before my senses come back??
Bowen
Ps: nvm....i saw the next post! Darn begosh my oh!!

But $3 will get you some pool noodles, good for about 3 pair.

I use the tall 1 liter water bottles.
My guess is that these are not really necessary.
I made up a bunch of these yrs ago when I still took a newspaper: shredded office paper inside a plastic bag the daily newspaper came in. Will conform to shape but support the tops just fine. I also used these for packing eBay shipments for yrs.

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

New Osuna Day!!

Beautiful boots! I've always liked the color they usually call Benedictine or Cognac with new blue jeans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk