Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the Gavin, since I really liked the look of them a lot. I do have a question though. I bought the Gavin in a size 10 because I'd previously owned a Lucchese boot(The Bart) in a size 9.5 and ultimately had to get the toebox stretched, although I never knew if it actually did anything. I've been sorta second guessing my choice but wondered if I ended up making the right call after all. Going by measurements I'm supposedly a 9.5, but nothing I wear besides that Bart is actually sized that way. I didn't know if that meant anything though due to all this stuff being different generally. When I called Lucchese's customer service line, they told me to go up a half size to a 10. I just wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not.

A good looking boot is all about the artistic lines. I like the lines of the heel & the arch to run parallel & be close to the same length.

E76ED7A6-3B36-4E49-9BF1-F9B74E6674ED.jpeg

RBEmerson

New in Town
Good grief!!! I so wish I had never seen those! If there was ever a demonstration of what drugs can do to the human brain, these things are it. I can only hope the "Tony Lama" stitching is totally bogus.

"What is seen cannot be unseen". Where did I leave my eye bleach?

I guess with all the rubber, plastic and glue in many modern boots, Tony Lama just quit pretending.

View attachment 499133

View attachment 499132

I can only assume these are designed for people who aren't looking at cowboy boots as a great way to avoid having to be bothered with laces, but have their limit as to how much of a boot they are prepared to lace up!

Good grief!!! I so wish I had never seen those! If there was ever a demonstration of what drugs can do to the human brain, these things are it. I can only hope the "Tony Lama" stitching is totally bogus.

"What is seen cannot be unseen". Where did I leave my eye bleach?
It's most likely these were made for a rodeo clown. Regular boots aren't so much the ticket when one is sprinting in front of a pissed off bull, trying to distract it from trampling a fallen rider.

Tilli

New in Town
hi all, would like to share my western boots as well. I am somewhat addicted since the early 80‘s and wear them since then most of the time, even in the office during my corporate days. These beauties are currently used for my chores around the horses and the barn (except the caiman) but I also wear them on main street. in my view not a fashion but a way of life.
top left are Justin tall tops stock boots
top middle are Boulet tall top stock boots
bottom right are Boulet caimans stock boots
the stovepipes and pee wees are my design and made to order by a local German master saddler who learned his boot making skills from Tex Robbins. Nothing matches their fit and quality so far for me
Enjoying myself in observing the German second hand market and once in a while there is some good stuff over here

1EBEEA81-E3C6-4810-912F-7BECE208F4B8.jpeg

Tilli

New in Town
Down right, just lovely!!
Thanks, shot them on the bay over here in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Typically I am not into exotics but couldn‘t resist these beauties. Agree they are lovely and will dress me up for the occasion. Unfortunately the pants of my suits have no bootcut

NewJack

Practically Family
Gentlemen,
Nice great boot representations in this thread. Although my love for vintage fedoras I have not waned the least, I recently added these to my small collection and seeking some info if any assistance with identifying these full Lizard Luskey's boots. What I know so far is that what you see. No inside shots (although I did inquire!). I did research and found they Luskey's has teamed up with a boot company (?) called Ryon in Texas.
Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l1600_5.jpeg
    s-l1600_5.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 52
  • s-l1600_10.jpeg
    s-l1600_10.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l1600_9.jpeg
    s-l1600_9.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 52
  • s-l1600_11.jpeg
    s-l1600_11.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 43
  • s-l1600_4.jpeg
    s-l1600_4.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 49
  • s-l1600_2.jpeg
    s-l1600_2.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 52
single row stitchhing on the vGentlemen,
Nice great boot representations in this thread. Although my love for vintage fedoras I have not waned the least, I recently added these to my small collection and seeking some info if any assistance with identifying these full Lizard Luskey's boots. What I know so far is that what you see. No inside shots (although I did inquire!). I did research and found they Luskey's has teamed up with a boot company (?) called Ryon in Texas.
Thanks!
NJ, I don't know a lot about Luskey/Ryon other that they were a western store that was eventually bought out by Cavendar's in 2016. Prior to 1982, Luskey and Ryon's were separate entities when they merged. I believe Luskey's was primarily a western wear store and Ryon's was a saddlery. I do not know this to be the case with your boots but it was common at one time for larger stores to have an in-house boot maker and I believe your boots may be such a pair. A couple of indicators would be the single row stitching on the shaft and the sole pegging but the biggest one for me is the stitch that follows the quarter turn of the vamp and ends as a vertical stitch line at the turn. A common mark used by early TX boot makers to indicate a handmade boot. That has evolved into some custom makers using their own stitch design in the same location. Even TL used to do this. At the least, they are hand made. Hard to say but I'd guess 50's-60's as far as decades. Nice find.

1680182692976.png

Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
NJ, I don't know a lot about Luskey/Ryon other that they were a western store that was eventually bought out by Cavendar's in 2016. Prior to 1982, Luskey and Ryon's were separate entities when they merged. I believe Luskey's was primarily a western wear store and Ryon's was a saddlery. I do not know this to be the case with your boots but it was common at one time for larger stores to have an in-house boot maker and I believe your boots may be such a pair. A couple of indicators would be the single row stitching on the shaft and the sole pegging but the biggest one for me is the stitch that follows the quarter turn of the vamp and ends as a vertical stitch line at the turn. A common mark used by early TX boot makers to indicate a handmade boot. That has evolved into some custom makers using their own stitch design in the same location. Even TL used to do this. At the least, they are hand made. Hard to say but I'd guess 50's-60's as far as decades. Nice find.

View attachment 502966
Thanks for the details...I knew I showed them in the right place. You've piqued my interest more with looking by closely at areas such as the stitching applications and their possible meaning. I'm learning similar info about vintage fedoras. Thanks for response and the new knowledge. I've since purchased 3 more pairs of westerns since one of my earlier posts about 3 years ago. Looking forward to receiving and sportin' 'em!

NewJack

Practically Family
One more again...
According to the seller, these are a pair of 60s Dan Post boots. I had asked for an inside shot to gather more info. They are now at the cobblers updating the heels and soles. Lovin' the patina on these. Will share updates when completed...

Attachments

• s-l1600_1.jpeg
    s-l1600_1.jpeg
    560.4 KB · Views: 50
  • s-l1600_4.jpeg
    s-l1600_4.jpeg
    728.2 KB · Views: 52
  • s-l1600_5.jpeg
    s-l1600_5.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 46
  • s-l1600_6.jpg
    s-l1600_6.jpg