Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cravenette Coat! Does it fit? Age?

Spartcom5

New in Town
Found this coat earlier today pretty old, I think it's a car coat? The coat is in pristine condition maybe worn only a handful of times and was taken care of very very well. I paid $5 for it. Now for the fit, the arms seem good if not there is a lot of material to be let down and there is no wear on the cuffs, the sleeves look alright width wise (better with a suit jacket underneath I assume), the torso is extremely nice IMO has a nice shape when buttoned up, length right above my knee good, only thing that bothers me are the shoulders. They line up perfectly with my shoulders and fit nicely to me but as you can see in the picture with my arms straight down it emanates a very vintage almost boxy look (lots of padding), of course I would never be standing like that in public though. Take note I only have a very thin t-shirt under this coat because it reeks of smoke, didn't want to wear anything nice under it. Obviously kept in a smoke filled home for a very long time, I aired it outside hanging up for a couple of hours and it's better but still smoky, will take it to the dry cleaners after I air it out again. Any tips on getting rid of the smoke smell besides what I am doing?? Also, I added a picture of the coat with the collar up, I know nobody would have never worn it like this but I was experimenting with a modern touch, thoughts? Should I keep it down? I like it either way. Thanks for the advice and help, working on getting the coat to smell decent.
20161113_182038_resized_zpsarq0qcw6.jpg
20161113_182125_resized_zpsmor8zxwg.jpg
20161113_181943_resized_zpsxikvxdad.jpg
20161113_182155_resized_zpsjx7suhmv.jpg
cravenette.jpg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have a Peacoat that says it's treated with Cravenette to repel water, but has a company from Detroit listed on its label. So I gather Cravenette was a company that produced coats, not merely a proofing procees? Nice btw. Like that one.

That is a great coat and the fit is good IMO. I have had good success getting odours out of overcoats (mostly cashmere) with just drycleaning. Take it to a reputable drycleaner as the pressing of a vintage coat needs be done by someone with a gentle hand. Don't risk such a wonderful coat to just anyone. The price difference is often nil but you may have to drive a bit extra to locate one.

Spartcom5

New in Town
Hey guys I am going to get this coat cleaned up through the OZONE cleaning method. It will take out all the smoke smell and make the coat like new again.... hopefully

Would you all agree this from the 40s or 50s?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner