Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy cummerbund!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One never knows what will turn up in the random bin at the thrift store. Today was the weirdest cummerbund I've ever seen. A silk paisley brocade from S. Fisher of Burlington Arcade cut to look like the bottom of a waistcoat!

p1010456ds1.jpg

p1010454gj4.jpg

Has anyone ever seen anything like it, and just how would you wear such a thing?

Marty M.

Vendor
You could catch a cold wearing that.

Never seen anything like it. It's like the complete opposite of the infamous "Dickie" :eusa_doh:
Marty

Feraud

Bartender
That could be from the 50's. I recall seeing a catalog page that featured a man wearing a pink shawl collar tux with a cummerbund like that.
It looked amazing!
Either Marc Chevalier or Baron Kurtz posted the catalog picture.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orgetorix said:
Hey, Alan, you can give it to your dad for Father's Day! :)

Ha ha--clearly you don't know my father! He would be much more interested in a new pair of Dickie's overalls. Good man, doesn't care about clothes.

Well, would I wear it? Hmmm. I can't say I'd rule it out. I mean, considering the crazy things people wear with semi-formal these days, that's downright tame. Plus there clearly is 50+ year precedent for it and it comes from an old Burlington Arcade firm. That's got to count for something. So...

Jovan

Suspended
Tell me about it. Some of the pictures my friends who are still in high school have been bringing back from prom... outright tacky suits and accessories going on. It seems the thinking is now, "If we put anything satin on any coat, it's formal wear."

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
"If we put anything satin on any coat, it's formal wear."
Heh, I guess that is sort of true. I kinda like the variety of tuxedos they have these days. Before, it was, virtually, one type of tuxedo for all men. It was like a uniform. They only thing I find tacky are when people wear their pants too low and there is a gap between the pants and the vest.

Jovan

Suspended
Well, I still can't wrap my head around the numerous Matrix-extra and notched lapel coats. :-/ To say nothing of the awful NECKTIE and waistcoat sets. Or the gaudy shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace