Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cricket World Cup!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
To score a run the batsmen must cross the wicket (in other words change ends on the wicket) - there's also other ways, boundaries,etc, but for now let's just focus on the running. At both ends is a line in front of the stumps (the three sticks with two smaller sticks balanced on top at each end of the wicket which a batsman stands in front of when batting) which is called the batting crease, where a batsman is "safe". Whilst the batsmen are running between both these lines and so they are outside their creases they are able to be given out if the stumps are knocked over by a fieldsman on the opposing team - this form of dismissal of a batsman is called "run out".

Batsmen in limited over/one day cricket (what's being played at the World Cup) will be looking to run as often as possible because they only have a certain amount of "overs" (each over - 6 balls to be bowled to them plus sometimes "extras" - but that's another story). Running requires very good communication between the two batsmen so that mistakes aren't made which lead to a batsman being run out.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like that they can take the bats with them, but dismayed that slashing seems not to occur as it isn't listed as a penalty. ;)

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
You are a brave man Smithy,

Trying to explain the laws of cricket can sometimes take you to places that no man has ever been before and you will hear yourself saying things like 'I know that sounds silly but...' and OK picture this in your mind. This is not to say that we should not try but it is a simple game, that is very hard to explain......

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Roaring Days said:
You are a brave man Smithy,

Trying to explain the laws of cricket can sometimes take you to places that no man has ever been before and you will hear yourself saying things like 'I know that sounds silly but...' and OK picture this in your mind. This is not to say that we should not try but it is a simple game, that is very hard to explain......

I'm probably mad to even try!

By the way nice job by you guys against Scotland, not that any other result was expected. Your group match against SA should be a goodie.

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
They are always good ones. It seems we have a rivalry like the one we have with NZ, although I think the lever leans more towards the 'hate' in the love hate relationship with SA. The world cup and SA hold one of my fav sledges in cricket. I think it was Herschelle Gibbs who dropped a catch off Steve Waugh in a pool match, 4 days before the semi final against SA, and Steve came out with 'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'. I think Steve went on to have a blinder and Aust won the Final against Pakistan after beating SA in that Semi. Wonderful Stuff...

Cheers

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'll be supporting you guys over SA as I always do no matter what the sport. My little nod at the ANZAC spirit.

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
WHAT A WEEKEND!!!!!!!

OMG, Ireland beating Pakistan, Bangladesh beating India and now the Pakistan coach found dead in his motel room. Who dares now say that cricket is boring.

btw, go Ireland for meeting the Aussies in the final. I think if that happened the whole of Australia would come to a stand still, even more so than for the Melbourne Cup (this is a horse race that 'stops the nation' for those of of you outside Aust, its true too, everyone is gathered around a TV or radio for the 3 1/2 race and Billions are bet on the result.) and the Guiness and VB would flow freely in the streets....lol

Will be watching the news for the result of the investigation of the Pakkies Coach, do we detect skullduggary???????

Mojito

One Too Many
I'll admit it - it's been a long time since I've sat rivetted to a cricket match. I was thrilled when Ireland managed a draw with Zimbabwe - but to win against Pakistan! And yes, one cynic in our group was adamant that the match had to have been thrown.

Niece and I dolled up for the occasion:

DSCN0369.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner