Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Melbourne Cup

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Melbourne Cup day today which is a biggie Down Under and a race with great tradition and which brings Australia and NZ to a virtual standstill in the afternoon.

I've got 5 bob each way on Mad Rush and C'est La Guerre (had to have a punt on one Kiwi horse).

Just wondering what the other Antipodeans have their money on and if any of the Melburnians are going along to Flemington for the race, and if so what gladrags have you thrown on to stand out from the crowd.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Bundy rum, Vegamite, & Out of the Mist...

Smithy said:
Melbourne Cup day today which is a biggie Down Under and a race with great tradition and which brings Australia and NZ to a virtual standstill in the afternoon.

I've got 5 bob each way on Mad Rush and C'est La Guerre (had to have a punt on one Kiwi horse).

Just wondering what the other Antipodeans have their money on and if any of the Melburnians are going along to Flemington for the race, and if so what gladrags have you thrown on to stand out from the crowd.

OK, now that the
200px-Blue_Spotted_Australian_Mist.jpg

is out of the bag, when will we see photos of a Vintage Day at the Races from the OZ contingent?
[huh] ;) :)

LordBest

Practically Family
I have $20 on Bauer, I do not expect a return on my investment. Unfortunately I am not able to attend in person.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I caught the Melbourne Cup live on cable a few years ago, in the middle of the night here in New York. The camera coverage was appallingly limited, compared to what I'm useed to here, but the excitement was something horse racing has not known here in decades. I thought the winning jockey was going to explode. I've never seen a winning athlete in any sport so overwhelmed with joy.
I wish I could see it again.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh well, there goes another Cup. Just goes to show you it really is anyone's race. I had dough on the nose for Mad Rush, Nom de Jeu and Profound Beauty :( .

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
dr greg said:
A mate of mine got the trifecta, 21 grand, not bad for an arvo's work in the pub.

No guesses who was shouting the beers at the pub then afterwards.

I'll get roughly $35 back for C'est La Guerre's third.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Big spender me, Lord Best. My horse in the office sweeps came in 3rd and I doubled my money - all $5 of it.

But more importantly, I won the Best Men's Hat prize for a dashing 1953 Dobbs Gay Blade! Don't laugh - it earned me a $25 David Jones voucher!

Good day all round, really.

cecil

A-List Customer
dr greg said:
A mate of mine got the trifecta, 21 grand, not bad for an arvo's work in the pub.

:eek: Half his luck! I lost the princely sum of $10, $5 on Allez wonder for the win and $5 on Alcopop for a place. Wish I wore one of my hats though, if only to show the Myer crowd how it's done. Awful sinamay atrocities as far as the eye could see. Blurrrgh.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Cecil, I think you'll find Dr Greg's post was a year ago. This thread takes a long break between races.

And yes...you should have worn a hat! You'd have shone.

cupcake

Familiar Face
I lost $5 in the workplace sweeps, and we thought Alcopop was in with a chance, too.

It was somewhat of a magical moment today, customers and waitresses with food and drinks still in hand, all paused in silence for that one race.
It really does stop a nation.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Well Cupcake - I won $5 on the sweeps....and lost $5 on the sweeps - so in the end I broke even.

But I did win a prize for best men's hat! A $25 DJ voucher.

cupcake

Familiar Face
Ephraim Tutt said:
Well Cupcake - I won $5 on the sweeps....and lost $5 on the sweeps - so in the end I broke even.

But I did win a prize for best men's hat! A $25 DJ voucher.

So a good day all over!

This morning my dad remarked on how lovely it was to see women wearing hats again. He agreed that it was a shame that it was simply for the cup.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
"I won a Mars Bar for, my Horse coming last, I have a sneeking suspicion the jokcky may have been partaking in other banned (Chocolate/baked) substances"

4070581330_4b3de36f8a.jpg

How would you describe your look Binkie ...errr ...vintage racecourse tout?

Mojito

One Too Many
Won the princely sum of $7.50 in the sweeps (an actual profit of $3.50). Notable as it's the last time I can recall winning a thing in the Cup!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gone are the days when I picked the winner seven years in a row. I just registered the Chevy so dough was short, which meant I only tossed away $20 though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy