Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Save the Chap!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Now I know there are some readers of this fine publication in this forum, so I had to post this here right away. The Chap needs our help!

A friend just linked me to the site, upon which, this page just appeared:

YOUR PUBLICATION NEEDS YOU!
cover45.jpg

Like many venerable institutions, The Chap has run into financial difficulties, due principally to a disastrous result in the 2.30 at Wincanton. But also the spiralling costs of paper stock, printing ink and distribution services, and of course the increase in tax on tobacco products.

The harsh reality of the current situation is that if the June issue doesn't go to press, The Chap will cease publication for ever.

We hope our readers agree that this simply cannot be allowed to happen, since The Chap is much more than just a magazine. Consider the implications for the nation if we were to disappear:

* Vulgarity - without The Chap, there will only remain racks and racks of glossy celebrity gossip magazines, half of which are full of adverts for mascara and motor cars
* Obscenity - any Chap readers who wanted to continue reading a men's magazine would be forced to read Nuts, Zoo or, worse still, GQ
* Sartorial integrity - without The Chap keeping proper gentlemen's clothing in circulation, society's poor standards of dress will drop off the scale, resulting in an entire population clad in romper suits; blue for the lads and pink for the ladettes
* Eccentricity - Britain is in danger of becoming utterly bland and without character, thanks to most towns offering the same dull chain stores, and "lifestyle" becoming a marketing term rather than an actual personal choice. The Chap, by celebrating the eccentrics of the past and present, holds on to this noble British tradition and encourages every town, village and hamlet to cultivate its own identity and to look after its local eccentric
* Afternoon Tea - by championing traditional English rituals such as afternoon tiffin, village green cricket, hat doffing, "Breakfast of Champions" (a cup of Oolong and a briar full of Dunhill's Early Morning Mixture), beer that isn't "extra-cold" and made on the continent, and the wearing of bowler hats to work, The Chap is preserving the things that make Britain an agreeable place to live, compared to our rather uncivilised neighbours across the Channel

What are we asking for? Simple. A donation from any of our readers who feel moved to offer a small gesture of support. One pound from every reader would allow us to print the June issue. Larger contributions would of course also be welcome and would speed up the process towards getting this issue published sooner rather than later, leading to subsequent issues arriving on time and the entirety of our mission continuing apace. The June issue, which we would be unable to print without some form of assistance, promises to be a particularly splendid issue, with contents including:

* Land Girls on the cover and cavorting over seven pages
* An extensive interview with Chap of Chaps Stephen Fry
* An article about Sapeurs, the Congolese dandies who live in abject poverty
* A Savile Row tailor's appraisal of David Niven's superlative wardrobe
* The E-Type Jaguar Series One Roadster, that louchest of automobiles
* A new advice column, in which readers are offered conflicting advice from the Lady and the Cad
* Count Arthur Strong responds to the Chap Questionnaire
* A new Chap of the Month section, opening with a picture of a man flying a Spitfire while reading a copy of The Chap

If our appeal is successful, every single reader who contributes something will be acknowledged in the next issue, and those who make the highest donations will receive a free VIP ticket to the 10th anniversary Chap party in October (all being well in the publishing department).

I shall be donating, I do hope it doesn't go under. And I'm not just saying that because I'm on the cover, if it wasn't for The Chap, I wouldn't have met my own chap, so I do owe it a lot.

LordBest

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
This looks like an awesome magazine. I wonder if they do foreign subscriptions? Off to go look...

They do, I have one. Terrible news, I hope it can be saved. I am not sure I can survive without The Chap...

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I probably wouldn't get a subscription at the moment, due to the possible impending doom, but Chap fans could always order a back issue to help cash flow or donate £1/$1.50 to the cause. It would be such a shame if it went under :(

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I had my latest copy of the Chap in my satchel today, I went into a video store, here in the Colony, I didnt buy anything but on leaving the shop the alarms went off!!!, well! I had to empty my satchel didn't I? (too shame making!) the manager saw my copy of the chap, and said "Oh I used to get that" seems the bar code on the magazine triggered the alarm!! I would subscribe if I could use PAYPAL on reading this maybe i should return to the shop and tell him whats happening, I would definately gorge my self on back copies but again, i dont have a credit card im just paypal trash

PS

I think they need to increase the price, i thought it underpriced I would be prepared to pay 15 $AU an issue, for such "Niche" a periodical

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Thanks for pointing this out. I would have missed it. Donation winging its way from Australia as I type.

Another thought to help save The Chap is to buy a friend a subscription as a present. What could be better than to help an uneducated ruffian become a sartorial swami?

Edward

Bartender
I must call them.... I'm sure I set myself up a subscription a while back, but I've seen no evidence of it arriving...... unless Me setting it up in February was in time for the June issue?

Superb mag, I'd be gutted if it disappeared. It's the closest thing to the real Punch (but better) - as opposed to the Fayed-owned counterfeit thereof that appeared in the mid-late 90s.

LordBest

Practically Family
I also set my subscription up in February, and recieved the April/May edition, so I think you have cause to contact them.

Edward said:
I must call them.... I'm sure I set myself up a subscription a while back, but I've seen no evidence of it arriving...... unless Me setting it up in February was in time for the June issue?

Superb mag, I'd be gutted if it disappeared. It's the closest thing to the real Punch (but better) - as opposed to the Fayed-owned counterfeit thereof that appeared in the mid-late 90s.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
Maybe if they excepted PAYPAL? it would help ?

Odd - I pay my subscription by PayPal. I've set it up to automatically kick off each year when its due.

I hope other Lounge members help out - be awful to see "The Chap" go the same way as "Classic Style"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
I set myself up a subscription a while back, but I've seen no evidence of it arriving...... unless Me setting it up in February was in time for the June issue?

This does not bode well for future business.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunately since the Chap handed over subsciption handling to an external company they basically completely ballsed it up and lots of people have had trouble getting their copies. It sounds like you were one of them, Edward. I have no doubt that this is one of the reasons they're in trouble, and I hope that if they are succesful in this campaign that they will bring it back in house.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I must have doomed them with my bad modelling!

Not at all - I was just looking at the last edition and thinking how fetching you were and how the photo shoots had been a good addition to the Chap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24