Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Save the Chap!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ethan Bentley said:
I've made a donation and ordered a few back issues.
Would you please keep us informed? I might order all their back issues if they can actually deliver. Unfourtunatley, when business enterprises fail they often turn into the Saigon Air Lift. [huh]

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Would you please keep us informed? I might order all their back issues if they can actually deliver. Unfourtunatley, when business enterprises fail they often turn into the Saigon Air Lift. [huh]

The back issues are available from a third party "Fogey Unlimited" they primarily do vintage clothes, I think I've got a waistcoat from them before, and they also have an eBay shop.

http://www.fogeyunlimited.co.uk/acatalog/The_CHAP_Magazine.html
eBay shop: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/sir_royston/ (click shop)

Also looking about on eBay UK it seems someone has a bulk of Issue #17 (Stephen Fry, Pip Smoker of the Year) available.

I'll post again once the magazines come through.

LordBest

Practically Family
This is good news, the last time I ordered back issues through The Chaps out of house service, it took two months to get them. I will be ordering more now I can do it through Fogey Unlimited.

Ethan Bentley said:
The back issues are available from a third party "Fogey Unlimited" they primarily do vintage clothes, I think I've got a waistcoat from them before, and they also have an eBay shop.

Also looking about on eBay UK it seems someone has a bulk of Issue #17 (Stephen Fry, Pip Smoker of the Year) available.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Just got this email

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your donation to the Save The Chap Campaign. With any luck we shall be seeing you at the zinc bar in October, with a copy of our June issue proudly bearing your name. We do not need to remind you how urgent this appeal is, and what is at stake.

Thank you once again,

Gustav Temple
Editor-in-Waiting
The Chap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
How Do You Top This?

Get Tweed. Wear Tweed. Drive.
Earlier this year, three brave, intrepid and immaculately attired chaps set off on an epic 3,000 mile journey across the Indian Subcontinent. This might not sound so remarkable, with today’s efficient transport methods, except that these foolhardy fellows relied not on rail, motor car or internet transfer, but that vehicle in which gentlemen generally move betwixt bordello and bazaar - the humble Tuk-tuk.

Their journey took Edd Rushton, James Kilkenny and Deniz Hassan from the southern tip of India all the way up the East coast and into Bangladesh, via the Bay of Bengal, and into the foothills of the Himalayas. They
stopped to pick up further supplies for their journey from the tea plantations of Assam. To reduce vehicular weight, they limited their cargo to the bare essentials such as gin, tea-making equipment, tweed three-piece suits, cravats, suitable headwear for various terrains, a gramophone player and a supply of evening wear in case they were invited to any formal balls.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
He is a member, here on the FL.

Sir RBH

B
T

Ethan Bentley said:

irb

Familiar Face
Hunh, I've never heard of the Chap; but I'm not so much into vintage as I am an aficionado of hats. No matter, I've made a small donation too. Hope it helps.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
A quote from an online newsletter.

"Managed to have a chat with Gustav
last night. He’s just short of the readies to get
out this particular edition in the new, larger
format—it’s just temporary cashflow problems
rather than sales dropping. Once June’s edition
is printed, he’s going back to the old A5 size.”
So there you have it: the magazine is
essentially healthy but Gustav has miscalculated
and finds himself short of the up-front cash to
publish the June edition."

Seems encouraging, finger's crossed that June's edition can come out.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
An update from the chap website:
http://thechap.net/content/section_news/?p=71

Save The Chap
The Chap has launched an emergency campaign to save itself from financial ruin. There is simply not enough in the coffers to publish the June edition, and the harsh reality of the situation is that if the next issue doesn’t go to press, The Chap will cease publication altogether.

We have calculated that a small donation from every reader would rectify this appalling state of affairs and allow the June issue to be printed. If this campaign is successful, a number of measures will take place in order to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.

The Chap will return to its old format of B5, which many readers preferred anyway, since it fitted comfortably into the poacher’s pocket of a hacking jacket. The costs of designing, printing and distributing an A4 publication are the principal cause of our financial woes.

No subscribers will be affected by these changes. The only effect of this campaign will be a slight delay in their receipt of the June edition, the last to be published in the A4 format.

If our appeal is successful, every single reader who contributes something will be acknowledged in the next issue, and those who make the highest donations will receive a free ticket to the 10th anniversary Chap party in October.

If you would like to help save The Chap, please visit this page to make your donation: Thechap.net/save-the-chap

May 31, 2009

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
TheChap.jpg

A little selection on what The Chap has given us thus far.

BinkieBaumont said:
Does anyone know if it will still be in colour & "Glossy" I love the smell of a new Glossy?

I'm not sure, I imagine it'll go back to the format of the early thirties editions.

LordBest

Practically Family
Are those leather bound The Chap binders still available? I saw the ad in an early issue and rather assumed they would not be. But I do so want one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24