Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crosley radios

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
It does look like the real thing, and rather dashing with that Tweedy finish, ideal for a picnic, or very occasional BBQ

I wish they would re-issue the Mirror Sleigh model in "Peach " colour this time, it is so lovely

Sage_Sparton_558_peach_sled_no_2.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
CherryRed said:
I got a model similar to this one for Christmas:
http://www.target.com/Crosley-Conductor-Entertainment-Center-Paprika/dp/B0002LGN1W/sr=1-6/qid=1231167335/ref=sr_1_6/182-1944740-3506268?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Acrosley%2Cn%3A1038598%2Cp_36%3A%24100-%24199&page=1

I paid $79 for it at Target the day after thanksgiving. I think their regular in store price is $99. It think it is worth that. I like it because it fits my style, plays 3 speeds of records, Cd, cassette and a cable to plug your MP3 in. The sound is good but not exceptional like a traditional stereo with separate speakers would be.
I used to want the console, but I couldn't see paying almost $300 for it and it didn't even have cassette.

I picked up this one too a month or two ago. So far, so good! I really like the fact it's not a component system but plays records. I have had various component systems with much better sound. But right now I'm not sure if I'm moving in the soon future or not and I don't want to buy something pricey and bulky but I want to be able to listen to lp's. And it looks cool :)

Flivver

Practically Family
vitanola said:

A three tube Crosley Trirdyn from around 1925...very nice!

"Three tubes do the work of five" in a clever reflexed circuit.

Have you had this one working? I always wondered how this model performed.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I have all 7 variations of the Tridyn. These sets are good distance getters, and are suprisingly selective. Their station pulling capability is about on par with that of a GOOD Neutrodyne, but the tone quality is poor, thin, reedy and distorted. I suspect that this is due to the lack of iron in the audio transformers, the distortion inherent in a regenerative detector, and the tendency of the first audio/first RF tube to overload.

Flivver

Practically Family
vitanola said:
I have all 7 variations of the Tridyn. These sets are good distance getters, and are suprisingly selective. Their station pulling capability is about on par with that of a GOOD Neutrodyne, but the tone quality is poor, thin, reedy and distorted. I suspect that this is due to the lack of iron in the audio transformers, the distortion inherent in a regenerative detector, and the tendency of the first audio/first RF tube to overload.

Thanks Vitanola!

That's a very complete report. My Crosley 52 is pretty sensitive so I thought the more expensive Trirdyn had to be better.

BTW, my favorite '20s set for distance *and* audio fidelity is the Grebe Syncrophase. Hooked to a Western Electric cone speaker, it's almost high fidelity!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
celtic said:
Neither are fantastic at what they do, but work fine.

Both sound "better"? than the original Victrola that I will have one day, but both sound "worse" than any new modern high-fi system that you can buy nowadays.

If you can get an Orthophonic Victor, especially one of the Orthophonic Crendzas you might be surprised how nice an internal horn Victrola can sound.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
after WW II they came out with an innovative, if not terribly successful, small (I mean VERY small) passenger car.

Actually, Powell Crosley was marketing his car even before WWII. I think the first models were 1939s. I know a fellow near my inlaws that has a vintage riding lawnmower with the complete running gear from a '52 Crosley. I wouldn't mind owning one of the little buggers, they're cheap enough still... if you can find one.

Back on topic: I don't own a Crosley, but they do look nice. I'm particularly interested in their telephones.

-Dave

Flivver

Practically Family
To give you an idea on how small the Crosley cars really were, a friend of mine bought one years ago at the Hershey PA antique car show. He was able to transport it home to NH in the bed of his Dodge Ram pickup...with the tailgate down, of course.

These were very tiny cars!

I'm particularly fond of the Crosley Station Wagons that were produced after the war.

Here is a great website about Crosley automobiles:

http://crosleyautoclub.com/

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Another Strong recommendation---with a caveat (or 2)

16_sparrows said:
I have this model of Crosley Reproduction Radios and absolutely love it. It has jacks on the back that allow you to plug in your iPod and the sound quality is fabulous. I would highly suggest it.

As our fair correspondent notes, this is a great item. I bought one about 4 years ago to stick in the clubhouse during a vintage Skeet shoot—I wanted to have the first complete day of radio preserved (Sept 21, 1939) playing in the background. As mentioned, this model has jacks in the back, and an iPod will fit under the hinged top (where the makers have stuck the CD player). The effect is....striking.

Unlike the other "vintage" products Crosley offers--where the modern stuff is stuck out in the open--this one hides 'em under the lid. You would have to be looking very closely--really, looking FOR--the fact that the lid is hinged to notice. The only other "non-period" issue is the fact that there's an FM portion of the dial...but again, you'd have to be looking to notice. The sound, as "16 Sparrows" says, is very good indeed. The casework is sturdy, made of period materials, and the finish is attractive and believable.

Now for the bad stuff....after about 3 years, the CD player died. Then the speakers. I haven't yet taken it to the radio repair shop to see what's the matter; but for my purposes (listening to old-time radio via my iPod) I'd be perfectly happy to just have the speakers back.

One last note: shop around on the internet; while most places have this model at roughly the same price....I was able to snag an "end of stock" deal at about half price. Whether this has anything to do with the eventual death of the thing, I don't know. I DO know that I feel I got my money's worth, and more. May you be as fortunate!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]As our fair correspondent notes, this is a great item. I bought one about 4 years ago to stick in the clubhouse during a vintage Skeet shoot—I wanted to have the first complete day of radio preserved (Sept 21, 1939) playing in the background. As mentioned, this model has jacks in the back, and an iPod will fit under the hinged top (where the makers have stuck the CD player). The effect is....striking.

Unlike the other "vintage" products Crosley offers--where the modern stuff is stuck out in the open--this one hides 'em under the lid. You would have to be looking very closely--really, looking FOR--the fact that the lid is hinged to notice. The only other "non-period" issue is the fact that there's an FM portion of the dial...but again, you'd have to be looking to notice. The sound, as "16 Sparrows" says, is very good indeed. The casework is sturdy, made of period materials, and the finish is attractive and believable.

Now for the bad stuff....after about 3 years, the CD player died. Then the speakers. I haven't yet taken it to the radio repair shop to see what's the matter; but for my purposes (listening to old-time radio via my iPod) I'd be perfectly happy to just have the speakers back.

One last note: shop around on the internet; while most places have this model at roughly the same price....I was able to snag an "end of stock" deal at about half price. Whether this has anything to do with the eventual death of the thing, I don't know. I DO know that I feel I got my money's worth, and more. May you be as fortunate![/QUOTE]

As a collector with hundreds of radios, I rear that the Crosley model that you mention just "looks wrong'. It is a ywenty-forst century impression of a 1930's radio.

The old 1990's reproduction of the Belmont 6D-111 or the Zenith 5R-312 are much more accurate.

The AM-FM receiver used in the General Electric cathedral reproduction of the mid-1990s is of excellent quality, although the cabinet is just a bit "off". I have taken this chassis, though, and fitted it into the cabinet from an unrestorable (pot-metal or power transformer problems) set. This substitution works quite well and looks very good. It is appropriate for almost any of the sets made between 1929 and 1933 which use a "window" dial.

CherryRed said:
Yes, I have and have no problems at all. I have played at 33 1/3 and 78. I have not tried 45 yet, but I am sure it would be just as good. I also like how the speakers are on the sides as well as the front.
I found a picture of the model I have:
5132D1S8E2L._SS500_.jpg

I have this same model and use it every day - I'm quite pleased with it so far, and since I bought it mainly to play 78 rpm and CDs of Old Time Radio Programs, the sound quality is more than adequate. Plus I scored a great sale and got it for $60. Whee! It looks pretty nice atop my antique music cabinet too.

musiccabinet.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
vitanola said:
As a collector with hundreds of radios, I rear that the Crosley model that you mention just "looks wrong'. It is a ywenty-forst century impression of a 1930's radio.

The old 1990's reproduction of the Belmont 6D-111 or the Zenith 5R-312 are much more accurate.

The AM-FM receiver used in the General Electric cathedral reproduction of the mid-1990s is of excellent quality, although the cabinet is just a bit "off".

Well, Vitanola, I'm sure you're right, as you know the originals intimately. But, on a practical note....are any of the mid-90s sets you mention to be found today? Will they accept an iPod connection? Can you provide some pictures? Always willing to trade up!

Having said that....of the currently available repros...do you have a favorite?

Thanks for your expertise.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Re: the Crosley Traveler....I recently got one to put in my kitchen so that I could listen to NPR or my I-pod while cooking. I really, really like it. It looks great, is small, the i-pod connects by a small cord and I stow the cord behind the radio when I'm not using it. I look forward to taking it out on the patio this summer. I'm no radio expert, vintage or otherwise, but I have been happy with my little repro Crosley.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I have a Crosley special edition reproduction model from the 1980s? its in a heavy chocolate brown plastic, one end is rounded and the other end is very square, it also has a cassette system on the side which has died!( not missing that function!) , If anyone is interested I will take a Photograph and post.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Well, Vitanola, I'm sure you're right, as you know the originals intimately. But, on a practical note....are any of the mid-90s sets you mention to be found today? Will they accept an iPod connection? Can you provide some pictures? Always willing to trade up!

Having said that....of the currently available repros...do you have a favorite?

Thanks for your expertise.[/QUOTE]

I will post some photographs of replica radio sets and this evening, along with pictures of the originals from which they were copied.

Have you considered a restored, original set with a "phono" or "Televison' input?

Most of the standard makes of set are quite durable and trouble-free, rather more reliable than many of the solid state replicas, which do tend to have rather cheap electronics. Price-wise, many models of restored radios would be quite competitive with any of the replicas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24