Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interest check: Antique radio MP3 players/iPod docks

Johnny B

Familiar Face
All wood cabnets would be refinished, all broken parts replaced, all windows cleaned or replaced with new plastic. All bakelite would be cleaned, polished, repaired. If large sections are missing they'd be replaced with resin and the case painted.

Johnny B

Familiar Face
so what would one consider a fair price for one if a) the cabinets were reconditioned and rebuilt, b) the new internals were assembled, added and attached to the remaining chassis and hooked into the knobs and c) worked

just to get an idea

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Johnny B said:
so what would one consider a fair price for one if a) the cabinets were reconditioned and rebuilt, b) the new internals were assembled, added and attached to the remaining chassis and hooked into the knobs and c) worked

You established that up top, right? I mean, it was at this general price level that members have expressed an interest:

Johnny B said:
I mean entirely stripped, refurbished, revarnished, repaired, repolished radio chasis that you can hook an iPod into and actually use the radio controls to adjust power and volume, built to last another 5 decades. If I were to do this and stick them on eBay at .99 cents starting bid a piece (but aim for a 30-40 dollar range), or just sell them on a website for the same,

You pegged it at $30-40 range, right?

Johnny B

Familiar Face
okay edit on this I ballparked it at about 30-40 but then was still told "price considering" so I don't know if anyone even read what I said or if it's still "too high"

The more I refinish this thing the more 30-40 disappears; probably closer to 60 but amazingly these radios on their own, as is would probably fetch that much at market or auction anyway so hey

we all want lots for cheap but especially in small personal hobby sales it doesn't work that way very much

just stripped the Majestic, will be revarnishing and whatnot this weekend. Expect pictures middle next week!

Johnny B

Familiar Face
Another radio I'm working on (I wanted to do a wood and bakelite to get a feel for both materials) is this poor little Phillips someone didn't take very good care of. It's missing a giant piece of the case and the rest of it is in pieces and held together with tape. I'm going to give it a new chance at life and hopefully someone will be nice enough to find a place in their home (and also hearts) for it when finished

prf7fd1fewpp03hhzyop.jpg

It's going to need a new paintjob. What colour do you think would look good? I'm leaning toward fire engine red (because this green is both ugly and hard to find) with creme dials

Johnny B

Familiar Face
Well I hope to give high quality for fair price. I only aim to please and to share my love of good design with people dissatisfied with grey and black boxes and chinese plastic

Johnny B

Familiar Face
Cool. These two will probably be on the higher end of that range but if it takes off the price goes down as I can buy in bulk (ie speakers, wire, tape, glue, epoxy, paints etc). Right now I've had to buy a lot of stuff specifically for these radios. At worst it's a loss, at best it's venture capital

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Yes: I'm still interested at that price range, still only interested in mid-1930s radios...looking forward to seeing the results, as I'm sure we all are!

"Skeet"

Johnny B

Familiar Face
Right now the bakelite case has been filled with fibreglass resin to fill in the cracks and the missing piece so i'll get some pictures once that has set

an interesting side note, the phone number listed on the wood case from the shop that sold it is "138". Someone here can probably figure how far back that dates it, but I thought that was pretty cool

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Johnny B said:
prf7fd1fewpp03hhzyop.jpg

It's going to need a new paintjob. What colour do you think would look good? I'm leaning toward fire engine red (because this green is both ugly and hard to find) with creme dials

I think this would also look good in silver, or some other closely related art deco color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner