Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crusher Cap I Won On eBay

Technonut

Practically Family
I had Auction Sentry set to snipe this crusher cap today, and to my surprise, I won it at a reasonable (to me) price. ($89.95 ) :)

I am not an expert by any means, but the cap "looked" right to me... Especially the bill color. The description:

WORLD WAR 2 US AMRY OFFICERS VISOR CAP,NOT SIZE MARKED,ABOUT 7-7 1/2,BIGGER THAN 7,THIS IS THE ORIGINAL "CRUSHER" TYPE CAP WORN BY ARMY AIR FORCE OFFICERS,THE BILL IS MADE OF A THINNER LEATHER,WHICH IS MADE TO BE PLIABLE,YOU CAN FOLD THE VISOR IN HALF AND IT GOES RIGHT BACK TO SHAPE,DOES NOT BREAK,THIS HAT IS MADE OF A PINKISH TAN TYPE MATERIAL,THE COLOR IS ALMOST THE SAME AS THE PINK COLOR PANTS OFFICERS WORE,IVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER WITH THIS COLOR SHADE,HAS MAKERS LABEL INSIDE,HAS THE ORIGINAL METAL EAGLE ON FRONT,HAS THE NEAT LOOKING "50 MISSION CRUSH" LOOK,OVERALL NICE SHAPE,NO HOLES ORDAMAGE,JUST AVERAGE USE,VERY NICE HAT.

I figured even if it turns out to be a repo, it looks nice, and is my size. ;)

Any opinions / Info?

0c26_1.jpg

0d2c_1.jpg

0cc6_1.jpg

0da8_1.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
You lucky dog...

Very nice catch! It looks like you got the hard to find Officers Pinks summer crusher cap. I'd say you got it a fabulous price, especially since it is your size to boot. Congratulations!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Technonut

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Very nice catch! It looks like you got the hard to find Officers Pinks summer crusher cap. I'd say you got it a fabulous price, especially since it is your size to boot. Congratulations!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Thanks! I knew it was a summer cap, but I did not know it was hard to get. :) From what you see, it appears to be the "real deal" huh? It's about time that a truly good deal came my way on eBay. It is getting more difficult everyday....

fishmeok

Vendor
Hey Technonut
I was the other bidder on that crusher- if it doesn't fit or you don't like it when it arrives let me know, I'll buy it from you or we can work out some sort of trade. I kind of collect that stuff....
Cheers
Mark
WAY too many hats for my own good.:)

Technonut

Practically Family
Well, look at what I received the other day.....

Crusher002.jpg

Crusher003.jpg

Crusher004.jpg

Nice cap, but NOT the one I purchased! :eek: The seller is insisting that it IS the same officer pink cap shown in the listing. :rolleyes: C'mon, a blind man can see the difference...

I told him that if a "mistake" was made, please locate the correct cap, and exchange it. I then received an e-mail with pics of TWO OTHER caps, NEITHER officer pink. He asked if either of those were a color I liked... What is this, musical caps? No, I want the cap I purchased in the eBay listing... ONLY the cap I purchased in the eBay listing... :rage:

I DID send it back with a full page blow-up of the correct cap... I said that I do NOT want a refund. I want the correct cap.. I guess I will see what happens before taking further action.

Any advice??

Here is the correct cap that I should have received:

0c26_1-1.jpg

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I see the same stain on the top of both hats, near the front, no?

I've photographed hats a lot of times to show on this site, and the color between any two shots can be vastly different. Flash vs no flash would be enough to cause the difference in color you've shown us, IMO. But the folds and amount of "crush" do look different. Weird.

Joel

Technonut

Practically Family
But the folds and amount of "crush" do look different. Weird.

Exactly... This cap cannot be crushed to look like the listed one and stay in that position. Also regardless of lighting, there is NO "pink" in this cap at all.

Also the seller advertised the cap as having no marked size.. This one IS marked a 7 1/4.....

griffer

Practically Family
that stain makes it look like a lighting issue, but also the way the eBay pic shows the stain, it could be a different cap than the other two eBay photos, supporting your 'switch-a-roo' theory.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regardless of the situation, I certainly hope the matter is resolved! Both hats look great, I just hope you get the correct one in the end!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
This is an odd one...

There does appear to be a similar stain on the top front of the cap, but there are a lot of differences between the two.

Color variations due to flash/camera/monitor issues aside, the seller states in his description that the hat has pink in it:

"THIS HAT IS MADE OF A PINKISH TAN TYPE MATERIAL,THE COLOR IS ALMOST THE SAME AS THE PINK COLOR PANTS OFFICERS WORE,IVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER WITH THIS COLOR SHADE"

The bill and chin straps are different colors, too.

Why is it when we run into the integrity-deficient sellers it's on an item we really want?

Best of luck to you in getting it straightened out!

Cheers,
Tom

Technonut

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
There does appear to be a similar stain on the top front of the cap, but there are a lot of differences between the two.

Color variations due to flash/camera/monitor issues aside, the seller states in his description that the hat has pink in it:

"THIS HAT IS MADE OF A PINKISH TAN TYPE MATERIAL,THE COLOR IS ALMOST THE SAME AS THE PINK COLOR PANTS OFFICERS WORE,IVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER WITH THIS COLOR SHADE"

The bill and chin straps are different colors, too.

Why is it when we run into the integrity-deficient sellers it's on an item we really want?

Best of luck to you in getting it straightened out!

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Tom... :) I hope to get things straightened out. I must give the seller the benefit of the doubt for now. (Even though actually talking to him on the phone made me MORE suspicious :rolleyes: ) Hopefully, I WILL finally end up with a decent deal from greedbay... ;)

fishmeok

Vendor
It looks from the pics that both hats have the same stain on top behind the eagle- if so I'd say it's the same hat. If you take the stiffening ring out of the crown it will flop a bit.

Does it fit?
Cheers
Mark

Technonut

Practically Family
fishmeok said:
It looks from the pics that both hats have the same stain on top behind the eagle- if so I'd say it's the same hat. If you take the stiffening ring out of the crown it will flop a bit.

Does it fit?
Cheers
Mark

The correct hat should be arriving today as a matter of fact. :) It is funny about the similar stain, but the seller DID send the incorrect cap. Here are recent pics that he sent:

Mvc-002s.jpg

Mvc-003s.jpg

Mvc-004s.jpg

MUCH different than the other cap... I had to be VERY demanding, but I will at least get the correct cap. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic