Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crusher: Original v. Repro

kiltie

Practically Family
Here are some shots of an original WWII crusher and the reproduction offered by Garcia Aviation.

First up, Garcia's offering in OD. The cap is US made and really quality stuff. In terms of a modern comparison, it blows Midway out of the water ( my FD dress hat is a Midway and doesn't hold a candle to this visor cap ). There are no markings as to a maker, just a "Unite Here!" union tag and a place to slip in an ID or calling card.

IMG_1275.jpg

And now, the WWII original by Luxemburg. What can I say? It's authentic... And khaki, obviously. It is not elastique, like the OD.

IMG_1276.jpg

Both hats are 7 1/4. The fit of the Luxemberg is what you'd expect from a hat of this vintage: a snug 7 1/4. The Garcia offering is dead on for me, at 22 7/8".

Here are some side by sides:

IMG_1279-1.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Crush-a-bility:

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

Original Front:

IMG_1277.jpg

The Garcia is going to need some breaking in time, and I've already made one modification: I cut down the stiffener behind the eagle device. It was fine in it's stock form, but I think it's better cut down. The thickness of the chinstrap is about the same on both hats, but the original's bill is clearly more flexible; thinner, though still two pieces. I'm sure the Garcia cap will become more compliant with use. The hardware on the Garcia is quite nicely detailed, and there's no antiquing. They can age on their own or you can modify how you like.
As you can see from the pictures, the proportions are similar. The original is about a quarter inch shorter between the "band" and the topmost seam, but that's, I'm sure a variation that could be seen from maker to maker.
I'm probably going to let the original go, as I hope to actually get some wear out of whatever I settle on, and while I don't necessarily intend to be rough, I don't want the safety of my hat to be consuming.

EDIT:
Moderators - I wanted to to see this stand alone for a bit. I know there's a big crush cap thread already, and if this get's merged somewhere down the road, I'll be plenty happy, but I thought this might be nice out here on it's own for the moment. Thanks.

kiltie

Practically Family
Thanks, SD!
When I put the order in about two weeks ago, Garcia Aviation was having a storewide sale, I believe. This cap came in at just under eighty dollars, shipped. That was considerably less expensive than a lot of the others shown on the BIG thread. The only offering that looked to undercut, price-wise, was the one out of Atlanta Cutlery. That one didn't look even close to being as nice.
I've also sourced a cavalry style back strap for the repro. When I pull the trigger on that and some original hardware, I'll post some more pictures.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I read somewhere that the WWII guys "broke in" their crushers/service caps by whatever means possible. Water tricks sitting on them when wet, balling them up, whatever it took to get "that look". All they had to do was buy a Flighter!lol But the Garcia hat looks good. Stay away from WPG. A friend bought one and the crest was off center or the bill was. Peak was way too high.

CBI

One Too Many
the Garcia looks nice. The echt-repro Crusher company is the Diamond Cap Company. Those are the Good Wear of Crusher repros. They are also sold on the Eastman site. On the flip side, one can buy an original for close to the same price. In any case, Diamond is a really impressive crusher ..............

kiltie

Practically Family
I'm not yet bare-butt nekkid out of control on the AAF kit ( again; yet ), so I translate the three bills for a Diamond to a LOT of other things. When my Paypal acct is flush, it's almost like it's not real money :rolleyes: , so dropping 90 bones on the original didn't sting too badly. Now I've got two options for under a third the cost of the Diamond. But it sure is nice, no doubt.
I also don't mean to give the impression that the hat stocked by Garcia is the end-all in my mind. It's clear just by looking at it that there are some hang ups. For instance, the stitching around the top is...inverted? It doesn't have the rows of stitching on either side of the seam; just sewn inside out and flipped ( like a pillow case...). Another thing you can't see is a plastic stiffener behind the sweatband that cannot be removed without disassembling the whole hat. As a consequence, it will never actually be "floppy" around the head opening like the real crusher. Also, the Army insignia at the temples that retain the chinstrap are not screw on; just cotter pins like most modern visor caps.
Buuuuuut....for under a bill I'm convinced, short of one of those miracle flea market finds, there's not a better option.
I did get the back strap yesterday, so I gotta get some pics of that up. It is original and, best I can tell, NOS. Just some green on the hardware that wants some metal polish. The leather is thin and not the least bit flakey. Very nice for ten dollars. That, and I got a nice original officer's device for the front. Now I've got sort of a cool hybrid for about $115, or so.
As much as I like the very idea of the original, I'd kinda like my kit to be...of a uniform grade. That is to say, if the rest of it looks like I just walked out of the QM, why in the world would my cap look like so...loved? I suppose another option could be to mow the lawn, wash the car, wrestle an alligator, etc...,in the rest of my stuff. Kinda get a 5th Air Force thing going on* -
http://www.pbyrescue.com/index.htm

Ahhh...so many choices.

*this was my first choice for assembling some USAAF kit. As I research, though, it's clear I'm going to have to start off more generic, then sort of branch off. The 2nd Rescue site is so darn awesome, it was an instant hit with me. However, there's such an abundance of ETO Air Forces reading material ( just finished Masters of the Air - GREAT! ) that it's hard to focus on the one thing.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab

kiltie

Practically Family
If that cap is an original, it makes me feel pretty good about the repro I've got. The construction looks very similar; maybe the style copied for the Garcia repro? It has the same inverted seam around the top. It got me to looking at some of the other eBay offerings, and it looks like there are a few with a seam like that, which I hadn't noticed before. I'd only picked up on the ones that had the stitches on the outside, running parallel.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
I know it is against the rules, but take a quick look at this listing and let me know if you believe that this is an original cap. Seller says it definitely is - I believe, based on the lining and the sweatband and tag that it is a repro. What say ye, fellows?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150481569276&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

-dixon cannon

Just the guys answer alone makes me think it is a repro. Notice no double stitching around the top outer hat seam? Check out the tan service cap in the above pics You will see what I mean. The sweat band is machine stitched on. I am not an expert (I play one on tv)but I do believe they were hand stitched onto the cap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy